Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 AM

212 posts, read 687,758 times

Advertisements

I'm 37, having my 2nd next Thursday and will be having a tubal. From the get go, my OB has asked me at every appt to make sure this is what I want. She reminded me today that she will again ask me on Tuesday (my next appt) and on Thursday before we go into surgery. Being that young, you could def have some major side effects later on. depending on what they use to clamp off the tubes and how much they take out, there is a small % that the tubes may grow back together, small but can happen. You could get a tubal pregnancy or also called a ectopic pregnancy. And my doc told me there is still a 99% eff rate. that if I wanted complete protection, my hubby should look into getting a vascatomy too. I've read too many stories about women getting pregnant after having this done. But my eff rate should actually be good. since I'm getting a csection, if the procedure is done at the same time, eff rate is low, but because I'm of advanced maternal age, (over the age of 35) my eff rate goes up quite a bit.

Just a bit of a side note that my doc told me. She had a patient last week that came in and found out she was preggo. She had been divorced for about 5 years and just got remarried with in the last year. She had the tubal done while married to her first. She's 42. I was like wow! Doc said that even though the the tubal becomes more eff over the years, her new hubby could just have great swimmers, better than her ex's and thats why it happened.

Some people just know they don't want kids. I didn't think I did, but the last 3 years have been awesome and about to get even better. I think talking to a OB about all the different options out there may be a better idea right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,449,880 times
(Speaking as a non-parent by choice) I got a tubal at age 30 in 1982. I had talked to doctors before that, but they just blew me off as too young, etc. (although if I went and said, "I'm 24 and want to have a baby," my guess is they wouldn't say I was too young or what if I changed my mind, etc.). I hadn't pushed it because I didn't know I had the right to do so. At age 30, I was having an exploratory lap to see why I had such severe monthly pain (like a kick in the stomach, every month since age 11) and insurance would cover it then, for some reason. The doctor (a family practice) where I went was truly sad- he loved kids. He asked me, oddly, "Are you a lesbian?" and I parsed it through and realized, had I been lesbian, why would I need a tubal? Then I told him, "I know I don't want to be a parent and if I got pregnant, I'd have an abortion adn that would bother me." He made the referral. Never a moment's regret. If I'd met "the right guy" and he wanted kids, he wouldn't be the right guy, eh? I did likely lose a great guy over it, but he really really wanted to be a father and to me the thought of being a parent was a nightmare.

A relative became pregnant after having a tubal right after her second child was born when she was 25. Ten years later, she's pregnant with husband #2, with a household of three angry teenagers between them, the marriage a mess, etc. She had an abortion, although husband was against it. I did read that tubals done immediately after childbirth might fail because the body launches into a healing mode from childbirth and might mightily reattach the tubes.

I guess it used to be relatively rare for women who had no kids to want a tubal, but it's become more common. The American GYN Assoc. used to have a guideline (not a law) that the woman's age multiplied by her number of children had to be 120 to get a tubal. If you were 30, you had to have 4 kids, etc. Most people didn't/don't know they can insist, and if one doctor won't do it, get a referral to one who will. In this case, maybe PP would be a help.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 AM

37,184 posts, read 41,377,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Interestingly, the implanon actually has a lower fail rate than tubal ligation.

And I don't know why several people are saying it is permanent, tubal ligation can absolutely be reversed with a very high success rate (of course, if you think you might want children in the future then this procedure is not for you).

Have you asked for referrals from any of the doctors that have turned you down? Even though they are unwilling they are required to give you the name of other doctors who might. If you live in a conservative city or state, it's possible you will have to travel to get your surgery.
These are the results from a center that specializes in tubal reversal:

Tubal Reversal Pregnancy Report 2009 - Pregnancy Outcomes | Press Information - Chapel Hill Tubal Reversal Center

Between a third and a half of their patients have ongoing pregnancies and 10 to 15% have tubal pregnancies. I would not describe that as a "very high" success rate.

In addition, reversal is expensive and seldom covered by insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
that is crazy, not doing tubal ligation because of a 4.3% regret rate???
This study shows an even higher regret rate, particularly for women who have sterilization done before age 24, where it is between 30% and 40% at 14 years after the procedure. Note that age places women in their 30s, when they are more likely to be in long term stable relationships.

PubMed Central, Figure 5: Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Winter; 1(1): 23

Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,404,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
These are the results from a center that specializes in tubal reversal:

Tubal Reversal Pregnancy Report 2009 - Pregnancy Outcomes | Press Information - Chapel Hill Tubal Reversal Center

Between a third and a half of their patients have ongoing pregnancies and 10 to 15% have tubal pregnancies. I would not describe that as a "very high" success rate.

In addition, reversal is expensive and seldom covered by insurance.

This study shows an even higher regret rate, particularly for women who have sterilization done before age 24, where it is between 30% and 40% at 14 years after the procedure. Note that age places women in their 30s, when they are more likely to be in long term stable relationships.

PubMed Central, Figure 5: Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Winter; 1(1): 23
Thanks for posting this. I'm always surprised that people think that reversals are no big deal, or that they always work.

I did IVF and hung out in infertility forums - so my experience is skewed but many women that get ligations end up going that route later in life -

Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Interestingly, the implanon actually has a lower fail rate than tubal ligation.

And I don't know why several people are saying it is permanent, tubal ligation can absolutely be reversed with a very high success rate (of course, if you think you might want children in the future then this procedure is not for you).

Have you asked for referrals from any of the doctors that have turned you down? Even though they are unwilling they are required to give you the name of other doctors who might. If you live in a conservative city or state, it's possible you will have to travel to get your surgery.
A tubal ligation is not permanent. You can have it reversed. And please understand there is still 1.4% chance of getting pregnant. I got my tubal7 years ago after my 3rd child. I was just informed today by my doc, am pregnant! Do your research before you make any decisions. Although mycase is obviously rare (lucky me) nothing is a permanent as one may think

Old 10-23-2012, 08:26 PM

37,184 posts, read 41,377,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith1976 View Post
A tubal ligation is not permanent. You can have it reversed. And please understand there is still 1.4% chance of getting pregnant. I got my tubal7 years ago after my 3rd child. I was just informed today by my doc, am pregnant! Do your research before you make any decisions. Although mycase is obviously rare (lucky me) nothing is a permanent as one may think
Tubal ligation should be considered permanent. Not all reversals are successful, and the risk of ectopic (tubal) pregnancy is up to 10% of those who do conceive.

It should not be done if future pregnancy is desired.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,507,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunters4life View Post
Is anyone familiar with getting tubes tied in their 20's without any children? I have been trying all over the place to find a doctor to perform this procedure, and everyone refuses.

Any advice would be great. I know it varies state to state based on age/how many children you have.
My sister knew from the time she was young that she did not want any children. She began going to doctors in her early 20's to see if she could get her tubes tied, and she was turned down every time. It took her 10 years before anyone would do it. Doctors are not going to take the legal risk of ending a woman's abilty to have children at such a young age. They feel, and there is a lot of validity to this, that a woman can easily meet someone and get married and change her mind later in life. They told my sister if she already had a child they might do it, but not when she had no children. Reversal surgery for this operation is not always successful, so it should be considered as permanent. She did finally get her tubes tied and is now retired and married and never had children, and is still very happy about that.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,449,880 times
Yet, if someone of the same age goes to a doctor and says she wants to have a child, no one will tell her she's too young, she might change her mind, etc. etc. There isn't a legal risk with informed consent, as with any procedure.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,677,163 times
After having DS at age 37, I tried an IUD, but due to some weird angle or shape or something of my uterus, it fell out and would not stay put. I talked to DH about a vasectomy, and he was such a baby about it. He said he had seen them being done (he's a doc) and it freaked him out. Men are such wusses!

So, I had a tubal. It hurt, actually, for a few days, more than I had anticipated (I do surgeries very, very well.)

As for doctors performing sterilization one people of a young age, I can only think of a woman I met years ago. We were almost the same age -- she was 24 and I was 26. She had 6 girls from 5 different fathers, ranging in age from 9 to 18 months. Doctors would not give her a tubal due to her age. I think that's unconscionable, myself. I also think anyone who want one should be able to get it if they are capable of making their own health care decisions and give informed consent.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 797 times
I'm 35 "2015" I had my tl when I was 30"2001" after a c section with my 3rd child I get my menstral cycle every month on the dot well during sex last month I spotted bright red n then my menstral cycle was brown that was mid Nov now Dec 26 n still no cycle oh my god please help me how often does this happen @age 35?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy