Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:05 PM

788 posts, read 1,742,531 times

Advertisements

I had an uncomplicated pregnancy and probably would have been a candidate for a home birth. Right after my DD/placenta was delivered(in the hospital) I hemorrhaged severely and needed every intervention short of a hysterectomy to stop the bleeding.

The MD told me I was a classic example of why women started to have babies in the hospital - if I had had a home birth I wouldn't be alive.

It happened so fast that there is no way i would have made it to the hospital, and there is no way that that incident could have been predicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
More information:

Quote:
About What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to Know About Cesarean Section
Although most pregnant women are healthy and have good reason to expect uncomplicated childbirth, the U.S. cesarean rate is at a record level and rising. The increase is due to many medical, legal, social, and financial factors, including "defensive medicine" and changing attitudes of caregivers and pregnant women.
What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to Know About Cesarean Section (C-Section) | Cesarean Section :: Childbirth Connection

Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I had an uncomplicated pregnancy and probably would have been a candidate for a home birth. Right after my DD/placenta was delivered(in the hospital) I hemorrhaged severely and needed every intervention short of a hysterectomy to stop the bleeding.

The MD told me I was a classic example of why women started to have babies in the hospital - if I had had a home birth I wouldn't be alive.

It happened so fast that there is no way i would have made it to the hospital, and there is no way that that incident could have been predicted.
Midwifes carry more supplies than a paramedic, they are registered nurses and have IV for hemorrhaging to transport to a hospital nearby.

For example:
"My midwife saved my life when I hemorrhaged and then my daughter’s life when she stopped breathing – all this within 15 minutes of one another. "

Planning a responsible home birth

Old 11-10-2007, 03:27 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
You have to understand Mach50....we are each individuals and we each have our own ways of thinking. As a rule we have good reasons for thinking the way we do. Not saying that the way you think is wrong but it's just not the way we think. Ok, you've made many of us aware that there are others ways to have children...and I think most of us are well aware of these other ways. We choose to have them the way we feel most comfortable. It doesn't matter what statistics you have to prove your way of thinking it won't sway a person who has been there and had any kind of problem birthing a child or even knowing of a person in this situation. I am happy you have found the way you feel best about having a child it just isn't the way many of us feel.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:34 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,543,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My wife wanted a natural birth, we started with a OB/GYN, then as we became more educated, starting hearing about other mothers not even remembering their birth because they were drugged, we became concerned.
Like I said before, I had a natural, drug free birth and don't remember much of my labor because of the intense, out-of-my-mind pain I was in. I've never had an epidural, but from what I have been told by others, it doesn't affect your lucidity at all, just numbs you from the waste down so you don't feel the pain.

Quote:
Did you know that Doctors are not even trained to give natural births?
They don't even see a natural birth in school.
I'm sorry, but in my childbirth experience, I did not find my doctors to be drug pushers who wanted to cut me open, like you are implying doctors tend to be. Also, like I said before, I wanted an epidural and was told I couldn't have one because I was already too far along in my labor. Why would I have been refused drugs if all doctors push them? And if doctors prefer c-sections, why didn't mine just schedule a c-section when my first ultrasound showed I had a low lying placenta? Instead, she scheduled more ultrasounds to check and see if the placenta had moved out of the way so I could give birth vaginally.

I really do hope your wife gets the birthing experience she is hoping for. Unfortunately childbirth is something you can't always plan for no matter how much research you do ahead of time. You (and your wife) won't actually know what it is like until you are experiencing it.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You have to understand Mach50....we are each individuals and we each have our own ways of thinking. As a rule we have good reasons for thinking the way we do. Not saying that the way you think is wrong but it's just not the way we think. Ok, you've made many of us aware that there are others ways to have children...and I think most of us are well aware of these other ways. We choose to have them the way we feel most comfortable. It doesn't matter what statistics you have to prove your way of thinking it won't sway a person who has been there and had any kind of problem birthing a child or even knowing of a person in this situation. I am happy you have found the way you feel best about having a child it just isn't the way many of us feel.
Thank you for the reply and I understand that.

However, understand that many attribute the way people think about birth in America, based on the what the Insurance companies and lawyers tell us to do. It rarely has to do with the welfare of the mother, it has been embedded into our culture to believe hospitals are they way to go. We are the only country in the modern world that works this way and we have the #2 infant mortality in the modern world.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I am a physician and I don't disagree with you. I think births can be done efficiently by midwife's as better as any top hospital. The only problem I can see is if there is going to be expected difficulty in birth (there are a lot of diabetic mothers here - lifestyle is different here than most of the world). As far as Caesarian sections, there a number of factors (problematic births, frivolous lawsuits (John Edwards anyone?), and lazy OBY/GYN). I would rather proceed with a vaginal delivery at a hospital because I just like to be prepared for anything that may happen. If the OB wanted to do a Caesarian, I would tell him/her that is NOT an option - something most people don't realize. However, if there is a really good reason (pre-eclampsia, etc.) and I can judge it on my own to see if it is a good reason, then I will allow it.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Like I said before, I had a natural, drug free birth and don't remember much of my labor because of the intense, out-of-my-mind pain I was in. I've never had an epidural, but from what I have been told by others, it doesn't affect your lucidity at all, just numbs you from the waste down so you don't feel the pain.

I'm sorry, but in my childbirth experience, I did not find my doctors to be drug pushers who wanted to cut me open, like you are implying doctors tend to be. Also, like I said before, I wanted an epidural and was told I couldn't have one because I was already too far along in my labor. Why would I have been refused drugs if all doctors push them? And if doctors prefer c-sections, why didn't mine just schedule a c-section when my first ultrasound showed I had a low lying placenta? Instead, she scheduled more ultrasounds to check and see if the placenta had moved out of the way so I could give birth vaginally.

I really do hope your wife gets the birthing experience she is hoping for. Unfortunately childbirth is something you can't always plan for no matter how much research you do ahead of time. You (and your wife) won't actually know what it is like until you are experiencing it.

Did your hospital require you to lay on your back to have birth? Many hospitals do.

Did you know this is possibly the worst position to give birth in?

Think about gravity.

Last edited by Mach50; 11-10-2007 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am a physician and I don't disagree with you. I think births can be done efficiently by midwife's as better as any top hospital. The only problem I can see is if there is going to be expected difficulty in birth (there are a lot of diabetic mothers here - lifestyle is different here than most of the world). As far as Caesarian sections, there a number of factors (problematic births, frivolous lawsuits (John Edwards anyone?), and lazy OBY/GYN). I would rather proceed with a vaginal delivery at a hospital because I just like to be prepared for anything that may happen. If the OB wanted to do a Caesarian, I would him/her that is NOT an option - something most people don't realize. However, if there is a really good reason (pre-eclampsia, etc.) and I can judge it on my own to see if it is a good reason, then I will allow it.
Thank you for your honesty, and it is good to know a physician is on the boards .

You sound like a good doctor, many doctors including the 2 we met with seem to be following the process and did not want to hear about options.

So would you also agree that many births in the hospital are defensive births to avoid a malpractice at all costs?
And
C-sections are considered the "disclaimer of birth" so if a Doctor says to do a C-Section and suit occurs, the doctor can say they tried everything they could?

Now-a-days many Doctors are skipping everything and going right to the C-section .

Old 11-10-2007, 04:54 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,150,468 times
Quote:
Relax, did I say I am OK with that? Of course not.
There are always going to be situations where it does not work to use a midwife.

Less than 1% of births in America occur via a midwife. Many folks can use them, but instead they are scheduling a birth at the hospital, getting drugged and cut.

Just understand your options, you don't have to follow the "process" in place laid down by Insurance companies to avoid malpractice.
Women in America are becoming scared to have a natural birth.

Watch the movie trailer:
The Business of Being Born (http://thebusinessofbeingborn.com/trailer.htm - broken link)

Know your options, if you live in an urban environment you can find a midwife and get a free consultation.

My wife is very empowered now that she knows she will have a 100% natural birth, barring any complications of course.
I happen to feel differently. We have the technology to prevent a lot of the pain and complications associated with childbirth. Why would I try to play it cavewoman-style when I don't have to?

Your wife can do whatever she wants; she'll be the one feeling all that pain, after all. I just hope you're not pressuring her. I'll be damned if I let anybody pressure me into having a natural birth when it is the exact opposite of what I want. Drug me up, cut me if you need to, wake me up when it's over. That's how I want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy