Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:02 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times

Advertisements

Just to show how times have changed, when my sister was pregnant (my niece is 35 years old now) the doctor cautioned her to have no more than three alcoholic drinks per day.

She didn't drink, so it was not an issue, but that was the advice in 1978.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 12:34 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,881,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just to show how times have changed, when my sister was pregnant (my niece is 35 years old now) the doctor cautioned her to have no more than three alcoholic drinks per day.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I wonder if there is a statistic somewhere ( Im sure if I looked I would found one ), where it states how many more children that was born with FAS than it is today.
Pretty interesting though.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:38 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I wonder if there is a statistic somewhere ( Im sure if I looked I would found one ), where it states how many more children that was born with FAS than it is today.
Pretty interesting though.
That would be interesting to know. However, the fact of the matter is that women DID drink while pregnant before the warnings came out, and most of the kids were OK. When I was pregnant, older women often urged me to have some wine or beer because "it will be good for your milk". In cultures where wine or beer is part of the meal, they don't worry about FAS.

And when I took my Lamaze classes, the nurse told us that it's really not the occasional drinker who is ever going to have a baby with the problem, it's the ones that are drinking a fifth every day. The trouble is that a true alcoholic is going to lie about how much she drinks every day and would easily declare that she only has "one drink" daily. It's just safer to not drink at all than to take the chance.

That said, I drank quite a bit in the first month of my pregnancy. I must have gotten pregnant on Thanksgiving weekend, and there were a number of holiday parties I attended in December. Not sloppy-ass, falling-down drunk, but I'd have three or four at each party. Oddly, by New Year's Eve when we spent the evening hanging out with friends, I just didn't feel like drinking anything. I still didn't suspect I was pregnant because I'd gone 45 days or more between periods and hadn't gotten pregnant in spite of not using using birth control for almost two years and was beginning to fear I had a fertility problem.

I also had a glass or two of wine and a couple of beers in the last month of my pregnancy. At that point I figured it didn't matter--the baby was formed and I was past the point of doing any damage. In between the time I discovered that I was pregnant and up to that point, however, I just didn't drink. I did worry about having done anything in that first month, though. And about the time I painted the dining room when I must have been around four weeks and was just enjoying inhaling the smell of the paint.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,838,825 times
My wife during every pregnancy - would stop ingesting anything that was bad...She was a smoker...she dropped the habit immediately...she drank a bit- BUT not a drop during pregnancy. Now the kids are grown and she smokes again...and has tried so hard to quit but can not. Funny how the maternal instincts are so strong that a person can kick a bad habit if there is a new life involved.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My wife during every pregnancy - would stop ingesting anything that was bad...She was a smoker...she dropped the habit immediately...she drank a bit- BUT not a drop during pregnancy. Now the kids are grown and she smokes again...and has tried so hard to quit but can not. Funny how the maternal instincts are so strong that a person can kick a bad habit if there is a new life involved.
My mom did the same thing, she my sister in 1972, and me in 1976. She smoked before she had either one of us. She smoked in the house and in the car. She smoked while we were sitting in her lap. Talk about second hand smoking. Anyhow, during her pregnancy she totally stopped. Something told her it wasn't right. ( except the second hand smoking part I guess ).

But eventually she quit smoking anyways. I think when I was about 13.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,222,989 times
I think there is way too much paranoia on the subject. No, binge drinking is bad without question. But a glass of wine a night isn't harmful according to a wide body of research.

In fact, the WSJ ran a boffo article on the subject on Saturday:

Yes to Coffee and Wine: Rewriting the Rules of Pregnancy - WSJ.com

Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,662,629 times
I stop during the first trimester. Logically, my weekly glass of wine is unlikely to cause a problem then, but that is what I am comfortable with. I will drink very occasional wine or beer during the second and third tri.

FAE and certainly FAS have never been associated with very infrequent alcohol consumption. Never.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM

340 posts, read 524,717 times
I'm not much for alcohol, so no, didn't drink through any of my pregnancies.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 AM

2 posts, read 52,579 times
When my wife was pregnant with my DS she did had a couple of weddings and baptisms to go to. Everyone was given a glass of champagne to drink. Her glass had about 1-1/2 oz. She did drink it and she drank it over 5 hours. Every time the waiter came she said I'm sipping very slowly and not to take it. That was the only drinking she had over 9 months, 3 glasses. Our son is perfect. I think if it is after 3 months and you sip one small drink over many hours it will be okay but I wouldn't do a couple of beers or shots or something in a short time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy