Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 01:45 PM

59 posts, read 45,678 times

Advertisements

I'm having a baby shower next week, hosted by my husband's two friends. After a cousin betrayed me and left her off her wedding invite list (I was literally the only one), I'm having her uninvited from the shower. Later when I send birth announcements, I'll be addressing them to everyone in my family BUT her. Is this wrong or is this ultimately my decision? I don't want to be the gullible pushover who "chases" after people who obviously do not enjoy my company, so I'm saving my breath, effort, and my dignity. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,244,522 times
First baby? Take the high road. Or do whatever you want. There's no dignity in tit-for-tat or "un"-inviting.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,018,989 times
Another thread about the same issue? You are obsessing over this. It's clear nobody in your family cares. Move on.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
First baby? Take the high road. Or do whatever you want. There's no dignity in tit-for-tat or "un"-inviting.
Second baby. And I disagree about the dignity. I do not want people to think that they can treat me horribly, then have the amusement of knowing that I'll still "come back for more" by inviting them to a party/shower that they have no interest nor intention of attending anyway. Sorry but being a doormat is NOT dignifying. And I've obviously taken the high road (e.g., invited a cousin to my shower that I'm paying for myself, after she left me out of her wedding invite) but it backfired on me and just made me feel foolish afterwards. My prerogative to feel this way and to put my self preservation ahead of people who, as Mattie said, obviously do not care about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Another thread about the same issue? You are obsessing over this. It's clear nobody in your family cares. Move on.
Then the better the reason not to send them a birth announcement, my dear.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,018,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbaby4us View Post

Then the better the reason not to send them a birth announcement, my dear.
Fine by me. Fine by them. Fine by you. Everybody wins.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,732,963 times
It would probably be more worthwhile to focus on the birth of your baby and positive thought than all this negativity surrounding sticking it to your relatives. Negativity and preoccupation with people's slighting you in the past is the last thing you should be harboring as you prepare to welcome an infant to the world.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:13 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,922,668 times
People have baby showers for the second baby? Really? Like accepting gifts and all. I had one for my second baby because I didn't have one for my first so my friends threw me one. But not a single one of my friends had a baby shower for their second baby.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
People have baby showers for the second baby? Really? Like accepting gifts and all. I had one for my second baby because I didn't have one for my first so my friends threw me one. But not a single one of my friends had a baby shower for their second baby.
I never had a baby shower for my first either!...which is why I'm so bent on having one this time! Not for gifts but to finally get that sense of social belongingness and to get over the hurt from the first time my shower was jilted! The best way to "get over it" and "move on" is to have a better, positive experience!

Old 02-28-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It would probably be more worthwhile to focus on the birth of your baby and positive thought than all this negativity surrounding sticking it to your relatives. Negativity and preoccupation with people's slighting you in the past is the last thing you should be harboring as you prepare to welcome an infant to the world.
"the past" really? My cousin slighted me just yesterday!

Old 02-28-2016, 04:40 PM

57 posts, read 51,129 times
How old are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy