Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:08 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,067 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, so, like i said in my other thread, im pregnant, 10 weeks pregnant now, and im wondering is, considering im not "young"anymore, i will be considered "advanced maternal age" and be given more tests and control that a not so "old"mom? even if i dont show any signs of problems of complications?

I turned 34 in january, and still gonna be 34 in my due date (beggining of october), i dont turn 35 until next year, and i know 35 is considered the cutoff age in were you start being considered "advanced maternal age" or whatever. So im wondering if being 34 means you just will be treated like a no risk (unless you show signs), like if you were in your 20s, or, considering 34 is so close to 35, you still will be more monitored and will have to take more precaucions as if you were "advanced maternal age".

So far no doctor has told me anything about my age, i only went to urgencies, though, didnt have a formal appointment with a gyn or obgyn, my first appointment with my gyn is in 6 days, and my date with OB is march 23.

I saw two clinical doctors who told me nothing in particular and just sent to do all the blood tests to see if everything was fine (it was), i also had an ultrasound at 6 weeks (everything was fine), and saw an OB in urgencies due to some abdominal pain in week 5 (she say it was normal). No one said anything about my age being a factor in anything and the only recommendation i got was to take my folic acid and dont drink alcohol and thats it.

Im fine eitherway (being treated like advanced maternal age or not), but i just wanna know what to expect and would like to read about expieriences of woman by age (close to the cutoff of being advanced but not there yet) to see what they were asked for and if they had a "normal pregnancy"a priori or if age was a risk factor.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 11:42 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,196,325 times
I have 2 children, and both of my pregnancies were AMA. With my first, I was 36, and the second, I was 39. I did, however, have 2 very early pregnancy losses between the births of both of my children, one of which required surgery. If my age factored in at all, I personally believe it could have been a contributing factor to both of those loses, but who knows.

Both of my pregnancies with my children were normal and healthy pregnancies, with relatively minimal symptoms/conditions common to pregnancy. I had little to no morning sickness, irregular bleeding, contractions etc. I remained very active and exercised throughout. I followed my doctor's recommendations for AMA for a bit more testing (genetic) and frequency of ultrasounds (nucal fold translucency, for instance) than is usually recommended, but those are the only accommodations I made (or were suggested).

Maternal age is jut one of many factors that influences pregnancy risk. I really think your overall health, pre pregnancy weight and activity level are just as important. And I think most doctors don't worry too much about AMA in your 30's if the mother is otherwise healthy.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:51 PM

649 posts, read 571,270 times
Since you will be under 35 when you deliver you will probably be treated the same as any other healthy woman under 35. I was 36 when I got pregnant with my last child and 37 when I delivered so I was considered AMA right from the beginning. I opted to have genetic testing done at ten weeks and I had a few extra ultrasounds done at my doctors request. Other than that everything else was pretty normal. If you're ready concerned I would bring it up with your OB.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Hi everyone, so, like i said in my other thread, im pregnant, 10 weeks pregnant now, and im wondering is, considering im not "young"anymore, i will be considered "advanced maternal age" and be given more tests and control that a not so "old"mom? even if i dont show any signs of problems of complications?

I turned 34 in january, and still gonna be 34 in my due date (beggining of october), i dont turn 35 until next year, and i know 35 is considered the cutoff age in were you start being considered "advanced maternal age" or whatever. So im wondering if being 34 means you just will be treated like a no risk (unless you show signs), like if you were in your 20s, or, considering 34 is so close to 35, you still will be more monitored and will have to take more precaucions as if you were "advanced maternal age".

So far no doctor has told me anything about my age, i only went to urgencies, though, didnt have a formal appointment with a gyn or obgyn, my first appointment with my gyn is in 6 days, and my date with OB is march 23.

I saw two clinical doctors who told me nothing in particular and just sent to do all the blood tests to see if everything was fine (it was), i also had an ultrasound at 6 weeks (everything was fine), and saw an OB in urgencies due to some abdominal pain in week 5 (she say it was normal). No one said anything about my age being a factor in anything and the only recommendation i got was to take my folic acid and dont drink alcohol and thats it.

Im fine eitherway (being treated like advanced maternal age or not), but i just wanna know what to expect and would like to read about expieriences of woman by age (close to the cutoff of being advanced but not there yet) to see what they were asked for and if they had a "normal pregnancy"a priori or if age was a risk factor.

thanks!
I was 37 when pregnant with my son, 38 when he was born, so I was firmly in the AMA category as far as my OBGYN and delivering hospital were concerned. My younger sister was pregnant at essentially the same time as me, only she was 31 when she got pregnant, and had her son on her 32nd birthday, 12 days before I had my son. She was not considered AMA at only 31/32.

Unfortunately, she had more pregnancy complications than I did (I didn't have any, until the tail end, when I developed pre-eclampsia a week out from my due date), and would have benefitted from the extra attention, genetic testing, extra ultrasounds that I was referred for, received, and had covered due to AMA. She didn't get any of that, and it all would have been helpful.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:22 AM

671 posts, read 855,280 times
There has to be a cutoff and that age is 35.
You will be treated the same as if you were 21.

I agree with the poster who recommended that you discuss this concern with your OB. She will probably reassure you that you are fine. If you do opt for additional testing, the insurance company may not approve it because you do not meet criteria. Despite that, you should pursue extra evaluations if you are concerned. Like the last poster said, some younger women have complications. If you have been worried, it may be a sign that you are experiencing something wrong. Women can interpret these subtle physiological changes. It is called "instinct" but it is really just more of an awareness of what is going on in our bodies.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:13 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,995,303 times
I was 33 when I was pregnant with DD and turned 34 about a month after she was born. My age was never once mentioned in any doctor's appointment. They did offer the additional genetic screening, but I wasn't actively encouraged to actually do it, it was completely up to me if I wanted it.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:27 PM

275 posts, read 185,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
".......

Maternal age is jut one of many factors that influences pregnancy risk. I really think your overall health, pre pregnancy weight and activity level are just as important. And I think most doctors don't worry too much about AMA in your 30's if the mother is otherwise healthy.
This was my doctors' attitude as well. I was 38 with my first and 40 with my second, as I had no problems conceiving nor earlier losses, they didnt pay much attention to me. I was more worried than them. I did have the new blood genetic test during my last pregnancy and my insurance paid for it due to my age

Old 03-14-2016, 12:56 PM

14,344 posts, read 11,738,230 times
I'm pretty sure your age will be ignored. 34 is young. (I have two friends who had babies in the past couple of years at the ages of 43 and 44, and I have a 46-year-old friend who is currently 12 weeks pregnant with a surprise baby, so 34 seems pretty young to me too).

I turned 35 the day before I found out I was pregnant with my third child. My previous two pregnancies (at 30 and 33) had been completely uncomplicated; nevertheless, I was automatically put under the "AMA" umbrella. I recall that I was offered additional testing (which I declined), and my 18-week screening ultrasound was upstairs in the "high risk/diagnostic" center instead of the usual one.

At the same time, my ob/gyn stressed that she was sure I would have a smooth pregnancy and healthy baby, and I did. A couple of nurses and technicians here and there even rolled their eyes when they realized I was considered "high risk" because I had recently turned 35.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:22 AM

Thanks everyone for all the advice and stories!

Im going to the OB GYN the day after tomorrow and will be sure to present all my worries to her. So far, everything is good thank god!!!

Old 03-29-2016, 04:49 PM

update: well, after going to the OBGYN, i feel relieved that she sent me to do the nuchal translucency ultrasound test with the aditional blood screening test (nt plus) wich is usually done in advanced maternal age, but she just sent it, without asking ,wich i think is ok cause the more i know about my babys health, the better. She also sent more genetic blood test to be made.

Today i did the ultrasound nt, and everything seems normal, but im awaiting for the blood results and the general screening test results for the nt plus. I feel im being taking care of and i rather be extra taken care of like i was over 35 than less, just in case.

Good thing is that my insurance covered everything even when im not AMA! I was imagining i would have to pay a ton of money, cause i know this tests are very expensive, but thank god i didnt have to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy