Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:48 PM

388 posts, read 308,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Here are some articles on gentle c-section that may interest you. I've had friends opt for a gentle or family-centered c-section and were pleased with their birth plan.
This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I found the Wellness Mama article yesterday when I was googling around, but I will definitely check out those other links. I have few hospital options here, but I think I will be hunting for a doctor with whom I can make a back-up plan for a gentle c-section. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 01:35 PM

19,975 posts, read 30,315,884 times
my sons mother was in labor for two days,,,, her cervix would not open and with each contraction came increased pressure and possible damage to the babies head...both their blood pressure increased and the obgyn said,,,"he's got to come out now"

they started wheeling my wife to the room and the dr. took me aside, and intently asked how squeamish I was...she said "the last thing I need is a fainting father" just as serious as I could, I replied, it cant be any worse than gutting a moose...can it"??? she looked sideways at me,,,,smiled and saids lets go get your son out

we went in the room.... mother was awake....with the nurses prepping her ...a "curtain was put up under her neck.... I was so excited yet concerned praying everything would be ok this was my first child....
so they cut into her,,,open her up wiping up the blood ......shes staring at me,,,asking me what do I see...I lean over and whisper honey I can see your pancreas" ....
the next thing I see was the dr stick her arms in...maneuvering around and then start to pull back and shes got a babys head in her hands.....,,in one big slurp,,,the whole baby came out and was given to 2 nurses...and they clean him up his mouth ... nose and then he started crying,,,,they brought him over he looked perfect .....all his fingers and toes ....and he was alert looking at us...what a moment!!

they had to stitch mother up ....and they wheeled the baby in the room we had and I had an hour with him...alone it was awesome,,,

to the op...

the dr's held out wanting a natural birth ...... by the time 9 months came around mother wanted a natural birth but didn't care as long as the baby was healthy
and in the room while she was having contractions..... we were more than ready for the dr. to say lets get him out.
believe me,,,all modesty,,,is gone......you are there to pop him out one way or another .. and just hope everything goes well..

my sister in law wanted the whole mid wife thing......even at home.....but in her ninth month of waddling and peeing all day she said lets just go to the hospital,,,just in case.. the focus now is whats best for the baby

Old 03-16-2017, 02:23 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,757,366 times
I was 36 when I delivered my daughter vaginally, although I was wishing for a C-section before it was over. She was a big baby, not well-positioned for delivery and they ended up using a vacuum extractor to get her out. I had an episiotomy and remember the doctor telling me, "Don't look at it." As if. I was so sore I had to sit on a pillow for two weeks. I'm telling you all this to point out that a vaginal delivery isn't all that. Your ideal birth experience could turn out to be quite miserable.

I don't mean to sound harsh at all, but the point of delivering your baby isn't to provide you with some sort of grand life experience. It's to get your baby here healthy and undamaged. Be grateful for the ability to know in advance that a vaginal delivery might be difficult or impossible and do everything in your power to take care of your baby.

Good luck with it all!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:55 PM

88,831 posts, read 85,222,765 times
I never went into labor. My baby was late, so I went in for a fetal non-stress test, and she was in distress, so they raced me down to the OR and took her out.

Two years later, a close friend who was late was told her baby was in a standing position and they would have to do a C-section. She called me and another friend who had a C, and we assured her that it wasn't that bad and she wouldn't have a lot of pain afterward.

As she puts it, "You both lied to me." But hey, what were we gonna say?

Old 04-22-2017, 03:21 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,517,993 times
I would assume you're getting very close to your c/s date now. I understand your feelings-- I, too, was planning for a natural birth. I was blind sighted by the c/s I ended up with. It took me some time to get over it. My baby wasn't immediately healthy, so that took away some of the sting initially because I was so focused on him pulling through.

Metaphysique offered some good links that have hopefully been healthy. The nice thing about a planned c/s is that you have more control over the process in terms of how you approach it and recover from it and planning to help to come or whatnot. It doesn't take away from the fact that it's not the birth you had hoped for, but I can tell you that I've now had three kids, all with very different deliveries (c/s, then protracted hospital vaginal, then incredibly quick home birth), and not a single one was the birth I had hoped for But they all added to my family.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-22-2017, 03:37 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,129,898 times
Please trust me that this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post

I've been very invested in my picture of an ideal birth experience and I don't expect to get another chance at it.
... will be your downfall throughout the pregnancy and as a parent.

Try to relax your expectations and let yourself realize that you won't be able to dictate how every situation goes with babies, and that's ok.

For your own sanity, learn to go with the flow.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,717,826 times
I was very distraught when I had to have a c-section scheduled with my first. I was partway through my master's program, it was midterm, and I couldn't afford to take the time off a c-section recovery would have entailed without having to take incompletes or withdrawals for the semester.

Three weeks before my due date, my baby repositioned himself from breech, something that is not that common that late in the game when the mother has a specific uterine anomaly that I happen to have (the reason the c-section was scheduled to begin with). I was able to have the surgery cancelled and had him vaginally. I developed preeclampsia, however, and had to be induced a week early, so still didn't have the natural birth experience I'd anticipated. It happens.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:09 PM

388 posts, read 308,996 times
Just noticed some new replies and thought I'd check back in to let you know how things are going. I'm at 29 weeks now and the baby has turned head down, past the fibroid, so it looks like barring emergency complications I will be able to deliver vaginally. Yay! I have had to give up the birth center plan, however, because my placenta is partially implanted on the fibroid, which means a higher risk of post-partum hemmorage.

Aside from the hassle of having to find a new care provider who has hospital privileges, I'm feeling okay about it. I've been doing a lot of reading about preparing for a hospital birth with as little intervention as possible, and I have strong advocates in both my husband and my midwife, who is willing to be with me as a doula. I have some nervousness about the chance of getting stuck with hospital staff who won't respect my wishes, but I'm hoping those concerns will be eased a bit when I go for my tour next week.

I appreciate the assurances that having a healthy baby would trump my birth plan concerns. You were right! Baby is healthy, moving around a lot, and big! I am feeling blessed and much more at peace with the situation. Thank you!

Old 05-22-2017, 03:37 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,838,301 times
Just curious -- have you chosen NOT to know gender until baby arrives?

I joined in a discussion in the insurance group in the Health area and brought up the subject of midwife and doula etc and got so beat up by others about my thoughts. I was born at home in 1938 with family doctor assisting. Everyone was born at home for decades/centuries...my brother at home too in 1942 and sister in hospital in 1948.

I was wondering how many young women TODAY even consider the midwife home birth experience? Hospitals are so cold and so for the sick. But it's 21st century.

Good wishes and I'll check in to see how things go for you.

When my daughter got preg with first child, I suggested the home birth experience and got slammed by her husband. She did have a natural first birth, second ended up stillborn at 8months and 3rd was C section. They weren't taking chances. Take care.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 PM

14,396 posts, read 11,819,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
When my daughter got preg with first child, I suggested the home birth experience and got slammed by her husband. She did have a natural first birth, second ended up stillborn at 8months and 3rd was C section. They weren't taking chances. Take care.
This is exactly why most women don't choose home births.

And please, don't bombard us with statistics about how home births have better outcomes than hospital deliveries. Only women in the lowest risk groups even consider home births. If you know you have any medical condition or any risk of complications, you go to the hospital where there is an actual doctor. There's a reason for that.

OP, best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy