Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,766,356 times

Advertisements

My niece is nursing her first baby and I'm trying to give her some good advice (I breastfed both mine but that was over 20 years ago!).

I remember having sore and cracked nipples but not having anything to put on them that was safe for the baby. I read about something somewhere, sometime in the past, but I can't remember a thing about what it was.

Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 11:18 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,377,338 times
I used Lansinoh.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,766,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I used Lansinoh.
Thanks, I'll look that up.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Lansinoh's nipple cream is straight medical grade lanolin, a natural wax from sheep's wool.

Coconut oil is sometimes recommended, but since it is an actual fat, it is more staining than lanolin.

Neither present a danger to a nursing baby.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:23 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,814,646 times
Are her nipples actually cracked and bleeding? The reason I ask is because my daughter just saw a lactation consultant yesterday about the same issue and she told her not to use lanolin on her nipples until after they stop bleeding or she will be more likely to get an infection. She said to use just soap and water after feeding and then to air dry. Once they are no longer cracked then she said lanolin is great.

She gave some other excellent advice as well. She said to line up the baby’s nose with mom’s nipple and to express just a little and then to tickle his upper lip with it and this will cause him to open wide and then to plop that nipple in. He got a better latch that way. Also she advised her to massage her breasts to bring more milk down and when she did we could hear him doing the big gulps. She said to keep massaging and that that would probably only be necessary for about two or three days. She advised skin to skin contact because it creates the feel good hormones that bring the milk down and keep it coming. My daughter had much less pain that way.

Her advice was so useful that when we left he had gotten his first really good feeding since birth...before, he was non-stop feeding around the clock and she was crying whenever she put him to the breast and he had barely gained any weight. She was actually thinking about giving it up but was so determined to make it work. I’m so glad we saw the consultant! BTW, my little grandson is three weeks old today.

Now, in case anyone thinks I was pressuring her to BF; that is not the case. I told her I would support her in whatever she felt was right but that she should try to solve it first before giving up. It had occurred to me that there is another really good reason to BF, and that is the presence of more unvaxxed people in the public...BF babies get immunity from mom.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:25 AM

Oh lol I jus noticed the date on the OP! Well maybe there are some new moms out there who can use the advice.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,247,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oh lol I jus noticed the date on the OP! Well maybe there are some new moms out there who can use the advice.
Sure! Some folks are sensitive to lanolin as well. I tell ya' what, the gel pads are AMAZING.

https://www.target.com/p/lansinoh-so...t/-/A-12729475

Old 06-26-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Sure! Some folks are sensitive to lanolin as well. I tell ya' what, the gel pads are AMAZING.

https://www.target.com/p/lansinoh-so...t/-/A-12729475
Oh yes I forgot to mention that...she went home from the consultant’s with some of those too. The brand was different but we’re in Chile right now.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:42 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,525,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Are her nipples actually cracked and bleeding? The reason I ask is because my daughter just saw a lactation consultant yesterday about the same issue and she told her not to use lanolin on her nipples until after they stop bleeding or she will be more likely to get an infection. She said to use just soap and water after feeding and then to air dry. Once they are no longer cracked then she said lanolin is great.

She gave some other excellent advice as well. She said to line up the baby’s nose with mom’s nipple and to express just a little and then to tickle his upper lip with it and this will cause him to open wide and then to plop that nipple in. He got a better latch that way. Also she advised her to massage her breasts to bring more milk down and when she did we could hear him doing the big gulps. She said to keep massaging and that that would probably only be necessary for about two or three days. She advised skin to skin contact because it creates the feel good hormones that bring the milk down and keep it coming. My daughter had much less pain that way.

Her advice was so useful that when we left he had gotten his first really good feeding since birth...before, he was non-stop feeding around the clock and she was crying whenever she put him to the breast and he had barely gained any weight. She was actually thinking about giving it up but was so determined to make it work. I’m so glad we saw the consultant! BTW, my little grandson is three weeks old today.

Now, in case anyone thinks I was pressuring her to BF; that is not the case. I told her I would support her in whatever she felt was right but that she should try to solve it first before giving up. It had occurred to me that there is another really good reason to BF, and that is the presence of more unvaxxed people in the public...BF babies get immunity from mom.
Unless he gains weight, he is not getting enough milk and should be supplemented or fed with formula. Latch is immaterial if the milk isn’t there. I never made more than 25% of the milk my daughter needed in a day. I’m so glad our pediatrician helped me figure that out early. More visits with the lactivists wouldn’t have helped me. I have several of the risk factors for insufficient milk supply, and they knew it, but they sent me home without telling me I had a very hungry baby who I might not be able to make enough milk to feed. Fed is best.

And yes, gel nipple pads, but they get expensive as they only last a couple days.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Unless he gains weight, he is not getting enough milk and should be supplemented or fed with formula. Latch is immaterial if the milk isn’t there. I never made more than 25% of the milk my daughter needed in a day. I’m so glad our pediatrician helped me figure that out early. More visits with the lactivists wouldn’t have helped me. I have several of the risk factors for insufficient milk supply, and they knew it, but they sent me home without telling me I had a very hungry baby who I might not be able to make enough milk to feed. Fed is best.

And yes, gel nipple pads, but they get expensive as they only last a couple days.
What are some of the risk factors? Btw, my daughter had to start supplementing with formula too...he just wasn’t getting enough or growing and even after the lactation consultant visit and the gel pads and Tylenol, she was still in dire pain. I think she just wasn’t making enough but then the pain might have decreased her milk supply. She’s going to do both for awhile and at least he’s sleeping more now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy