Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 02:41 AM

438 posts, read 377,963 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I are planning on having our first child soon! We're super excited but also a little anxious about the whole process as new parents. Neither of us have any clue on what to expect or where to even start so beyond asking a ob/gyn

We were wondering what books have been helpful or highly recommended for some new upcoming parents who are looking to learn and get a better idea fo what's in store or help us learn what to ask/do in preparation. Any kind of method or viewpoint is welcome, we want to look at this thing from all angles and make our decisions from a selection of choices that could best work for us rather then just do the "usual". Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 04:06 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,761,245 times
My daughter’s (who just had her second child in January) favorite pregnancy book was “What To Expect While You’re Expecting”, which Hansen updated a gazillion times since it was my favorite 31 and 24 years ago.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,215,257 times
I loved The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. I think it was written in the 90's. I'm not sure if people are still reading it.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:33 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,992,425 times
I am still waiting to read the little + on the home pregnancy test.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Are you looking specifically for pregnancy resources or parenting resources? Or both?

Old 05-06-2019, 12:31 AM

388 posts, read 308,440 times
I appreciated "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster. She goes through the actual statistics behind many of the common "prohibited during pregnancy" things, and explains why or why not you may wish to be as strict about them as conventional wisdom suggests.

I also loved the resources at mamanatural.com, if you lean toward an interest in a more natural approach to pregnancy and birth.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! The only one so far on our radar has been "What To Expect While You’re Expecting" which is great but we're looking for a couple more to have a wider grasp of the whole "event". We figure there's no harm in being overprepared.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,761,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! The only one so far on our radar has been "What To Expect While You’re Expecting" which is great but we're looking for a couple more to have a wider grasp of the whole "event". We figure there's no harm in being overprepared.
Such an exciting time of life. Good luck and best wishes to you...hope you’ll be posting soon about your new pregnancy.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Such an exciting time of life. Good luck and best wishes to you...hope you’ll be posting soon about your new pregnancy.
Thank you!!! Exciting times for sure

We got started and ordered a couple of the books recommended; but we actually found the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy and it's already my personal favorite! It's a bit more dry and clinical, but I'm a human anatomy and physiology nerd so the "PhD talk" and resources are great, especially when I read the other books and wonder how they came to the conclusions (most even reference the Mayo Guide).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy