Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Well, that's just it. It's not a "miracle". Any normal, healthy woman can crank out babies. Heck, even a lot of abnormal, unhealthy women can reproduce easily!
Exactly~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM

733 posts, read 1,929,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
not normal!!! the female body was not made to carry a litter.

its all these drugs that make it possible to have multiple births. when will people learn that they are over extending their bodies.

and 8 babies! now they will ask for a couple of minivans to be donated. they will recieve tons of diapers. they will be on oprah. why? because she had a litter!

its almost disgusting the way we have made the miracle of life into a circus spectacle

agreed.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,222,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
They will need to come up w/ a good and catchy name for their families reality tv show. "John & Kate plus 8" is already taken. Wonder if they have any other children? Hmm, "Jim and Lynn and 8 surprises". Or how about "100 Fingers and 100 Toes". That is if mom, dad and all 8 kids each have 10 fingers and 10 toes.

This comment from the doc cracked me up:
"She's a very strong woman, so she probably will be able to handle all eight babies," said Dr. Mandhir Gupta, a neo-natologist who cared for the infants."

What doc in his right mind would say THAT! There is not a SANE woman around that could handle EIGHT screaming babies at ONE TIME all hungry at the SAME TIME! Her "saving grace" is that she will be going home soon and the babies will be in the hospital for at least 2 months.
Great idea about a possible reality type show. Maybe if you email in your ideas....you could make a few bucks.

-----------------------------------------------------
As far as the original thread post/story, lots of couples resort to medical help in helping to conceive. These are couples who really want a child and are willing to go through expensive means to do so. Sometimes, instead of one... a couple gets more. In a really rare situation, this couple got eight. I don't understand why we should immediately assume they were somehow being negligent. Chances are they will indeed get some sort of advertising or reality show money to help out financially.

8 babies are hard enough.....can you imagine 8 teens at one time.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:48 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,923,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Chances are they will indeed get some sort of advertising or reality show money to help out financially.
They chose to take this route, and chose to take the chance on having multiples. Let them fund it, not my tax dollars.

As far as tv goes, we have enough unreality shows on television showing families that think tons of kids are a good marketing ploy. I am pretty much sick of them and their "oh look at us" by now.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,517,818 times
As far as Jon & Kate Plus 8 goes, please listen to them...they have on MANY occasions stated that they felt HUGE GUILT during the pregnancy & birth b/c of not only the financial toll but the emotional toll it would take on the WHOLE family. They were very worried & did go to the Salvation Army the first winter they had all 8 b/c they did not have the income for heat...last I knew Salvation Army was not funded by my tax dollars...They did not have 6 children to get a tv show....

I think automatically assuming this woman had children in order to get a free handout is pretty harsh.

Even with a handout, the road ahead is anything but easy & until any of us are in her shoes, we really have no right to judge her. Every right to say you have issues with fertility drugs in YOUR life...but her life is not your life...

The harshness & judgmentalness of people in this country really concerns me more than tax dollars.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,539,521 times
I saw that and it is really something that they all are doing well. I say TLC gives these people a show and please replace Jon and Kate

Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,230,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I hope she can afford to raise them on her own without the state being involved.
Oh come on. We need to get over this "I don't want my taxdollar paying for that" crapola!!!!!

You know what?

Some 36% of our taxdollars go to pay for the current war and like 20% goes to pay for "old war" costs.

Do you know how many people are against the war and everything it stands for yet we still HAVE to pay for it with our taxes?????

Around 30% goes to medical/social needs. Who cares!!!

We CAN'T make everyone happy when it comes to where the tax dollar goes. There are way too many people and way too many possibilities and combinations when it comes to the dividing of the tax dollar.

I'm sure if they have the money to pay for fertility treatment they can pay for it on their own. And if they can't and the state has to come in and help, so be it. I'd rather it pay for those little helpless babies who didn't ask to be born than pay for war.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,433,555 times
I will pray that they acquire the patience of 8 pairs of very zen parents. Having two singlets tries my patience on a daily basis.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Default Personal Responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Oh come on. We need to get over this "I don't want my taxdollar paying for that" crapola!!!!!
It is not crapola.

If you're going to irresponsibly reproduce and cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of dollars, perhaps you're too irresponsible to have kids to begin with.

Why should I foot the bill for this absurdity?

Personal responsibility would be nice for these people.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It is not crapola.

If you're going to irresponsibly reproduce and cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of dollars, perhaps you're too irresponsible to have kids to begin with.

Why should I foot the bill for this absurdity?

Personal responsibility would be nice for these people.
Some people are too irresponsible to have kids, no question. But there's a difference between what they should do and what they DO do. It's easy to complain about taxes and seemingly unfair burdens--I bet most of us do it from time to time. But what are you actually saying?

"If you're going to irresponsibly reproduce and cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of dollars, perhaps you're too irresponsible to have kids to begin with."

What does that mean? Are you advocating some kind of parental license program, where people have to apply to be allowed to have children? State-mandated abortions for the irresponsible? Maybe if that mother aborted 3/4 of the fetuses in there and just had twins, that would be OK?

I don't think you or anyone else in this thread is saying those things, but if I'm wrong, by all means tell me. I just don't understand what statements like those are supposed to accomplish. If that family does need government assistance, should we NOT give it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy