Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,611 times

Advertisements

I always took my children with me to return the cart. I never found it that difficult.

We have pregnant women and parents with small children parking spaces all over. I think Target has them, definately most of the grocery stores, and maybe even our new walmart. There aren't many of them but they are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times
I remember Babies R' Us having spaces available for expecting mothers. I thought it was a nice gesture. Women who are far along sometimes need all the help they can get.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I always took my children with me to return the cart. I never found it that difficult.
If the weather is nice, sure, she will sit in the cart while I unload, then I'll push her and the cart over to the cart return, and then carry her back to the car. But if it's cold or raining or something, I'll put the child in the car first, then unload the cart contents into the trunk. And in that case I'm not going to leave my child alone in the car while I return the cart, and I'm also not going to take my child back out to come with me. So the cart doesn't make it back to the return unless it's very close by. Often you can find someone who is walking into the store who will need a cart and just pass it off to them though.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
If a store wants to designate some extra spots for pregnant moms, great. I always appreciated that at Babies R Us when I was expecting. I don't consider pregnancy to be a disability, but I thought it was a nice gesture.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
No need for a special parking space, because it isn't a handicap, normally. And for those women that have such difficulty with it that they actually need a handicapped parking space, get your doctor to say you need a temporary permit. Otherwise, a normally pregnant woman doesn't need a special parking space. Walking is good for you.
Walking is great for a person...but when you are carrying a carseat and a 3yr old and it's pouring rain...it's just appreciated

I avoid as much as possible even taking my children to the store, but reality is sometimes we have to go & the weather is crappy.

Half the time I see completely healthy people placing handicap placards on their rearview mirror & walking into the store like they are 15yrs old....

Give pregnant women & new moms a break...let them have a close parking spot for a few weeks...if anything, it just helps makes the trip just a tad easier...

As for leaving your child in the car while returning the cart...if the cart return is 5 or 6 cars away...nope, not going to do it. Sorry.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,072 times
I don't agree with special parking spaces.

You CHOSE to become pregnant. You CHOSE to bring the newborn/toddler into the store with you. It was a choice and not an affliction, so therefore you don't deserve any sympathy, imo.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post

You CHOSE to become pregnant. You CHOSE to bring the newborn/toddler into the store with you. It was a choice and not an affliction, so therefore you don't deserve any sympathy, imo.
Would you give up your seat on the bus or train for a pregnant woman?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post

So then this issue really does not affect you in any way.

Are you saying that you, as a non-pregnant/non-small-child-toting person, are more in need of a close parking space than the pregnant/mothers-of-young-children? If so, why? If you are not handicapped, and would simply like to park closer, then whatevah, you CHOSE to leave your house, so too bad for you, suck it up.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 PM

517 posts, read 1,963,835 times
I think it's a nice perk. The Wegmans close to home has a lot of spaces designated for moms-to-be or moms with young children. What gets me so angry is to see people who are not pregnant (at least visibly - sometimes you really know it's impossible) or without young kids using those spaces. How inconsiderate! I suppose if there was a penalty sign (like in the case of disabled parking) maybe there wouldn't be so much abuse.

It's just a nice feature which may be a draw for those who qualify. Good marketing a/k/a public relations, right?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,072 times
done

Last edited by cherry251; 02-10-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy