Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,565,145 times

Advertisements

I was never uncomfortable. Maybe the last week and it was moreso loss of sleep because I was just large...other then that, uneventful and really amazing to experience it. No pain before and during labor...a little bit afterwards but not that big of a deal...The worst part about it for us was the loss of sleep the few months afterwards. That really sucks but if you have support and help, it all works out.

Billions of women have given birth...if it were that bad, nobody would do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 AM

275 posts, read 708,872 times
Whew... I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant with my second child... and I have never been more uncomfortable in MY LIFE> I am on modified bed rest, my cervix keeps opening and can't sleep comfortably anymore. With my last pregnancy I had too much amniotic fluid and was HUGE due to fluid retention, but this time I am carrying significantly less weight.

Each pregnancy is different... varies from woman to woman. Your body is unlike any other womans, so only you can decide what's best for you.

I don't want to complain, but I really can't wait for him to get here so I can breathe, sleep and sit comfortably. And too hold him of course.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 PM

959 posts, read 1,827,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
So is pregnancy really that bad? I know it depends on the woman, and my mother said her pregnancy was a piece of cake (she never had morning sickness or any discomfort and said that labor was like a bad menstrual cramp and that's it--she had no epidural.) Hopefully it would be like that for me but you never know.
For some reason this just made me laugh. I think you mom has forgotten what it is like to be pregnant and give birth. It happens quite often that you forget how it actually was. I have never met anyone that has a piece of cake pregnancy followed by a birth that only felt like a menstrual cramp. Never.

Kristine

Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM

350 posts, read 4,163,759 times
What about problems breathing in pregnancy? I have panic attacks just thinking about what that would be like. How bad was it?

I'm wondering if being pregnant feels anything like eating a huge meal and being stuffed. I hate that feeling. I feel like I don't have enough room to breathe, and my heart races and I get out of breath easily going up the stairs. Is that what being pregnant feels like? If so, I don't know if I could handle that feeling for a number of months.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,759,967 times
Quote:
What about problems breathing in pregnancy? I have panic attacks just thinking about what that would be like. How bad was it?

I'm wondering if being pregnant feels anything like eating a huge meal and being stuffed. I hate that feeling. I feel like I don't have enough room to breathe, and my heart races and I get out of breath easily going up the stairs. Is that what being pregnant feels like? If so, I don't know if I could handle that feeling for a number of months.
No breathing problems here. I think the people that have those have them in the last month of pregnancy.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,868,968 times
Quote:

Girl, if you have as bad of panic/anxiety attacks as you say you do, you should first off never get pregnant and secondly not have children. Because what you may endure during pregnancy is only a small taste of what you will go through for the next 18+ years. The first time you see your child hanging upside down by one leg out of an upstairs bedroom window will be enough to put you in your grave. Or the famous "Look Ma no hands" as they ride by on their bikes near a busy street. Or "Hey look at me I'm Superman" as they jump off the top of a large piece of playground equipment.

Not saying that all kids do those kinds of things, but just about every kid goes through a daredevil phase at some point in their lives. Then if it's not the daredevil stage it's the awkward stage where they fall down just standing up. I haven't even touched on the scooting and crawling and learning to walk phase. Or the put everything in their mouth phase.

In all honesty I think it's scarier and harder after the child is born, than it was during the pregnancies. There definately is a lot more to be anxious about or panic over after they are born.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:57 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,759,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Girl, if you have as bad of panic/anxiety attacks as you say you do, you should first off never get pregnant and secondly not have children. Because what you may endure during pregnancy is only a small taste of what you will go through for the next 18+ years. The first time you see your child hanging upside down by one leg out of an upstairs bedroom window will be enough to put you in your grave. Or the famous "Look Ma no hands" as they ride by on their bikes near a busy street. Or "Hey look at me I'm Superman" as they jump off the top of a large piece of playground equipment.

Not saying that all kids do those kinds of things, but just about every kid goes through a daredevil phase at some point in their lives. Then if it's not the daredevil stage it's the awkward stage where they fall down just standing up. I haven't even touched on the scooting and crawling and learning to walk phase. Or the put everything in their mouth phase.

In all honesty I think it's scarier and harder after the child is born, than it was during the pregnancies. There definately is a lot more to be anxious about or panic over after they are born.
Sorry but that is not the case with panic attacks. A pregnancy is way more scary because of all the changes to the person's body. But to the OP the changes are very gradual and do not cause panic attacks. Do not let fear run your life.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:18 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,196,415 times
Must not be too bad...women have been having children for ages

Think of it as moving to a new area- if you go in with a good attitude, then chances are you will find the area to be pretty good!

Once you do become pregnant, the sense of awe and wonder about your new wee one will surely overcome any fear or heebie jeebies about the matter. Oh and once it moves! You will be amazed!
Then when you look down at that tiny face ( even with Uncle Abner's huge nose) you may very well fall so deeply in love the pregnant part will fade fast
Good luck

PS - medical care these days is amazing, so count yourself lucky to become a mother this day and age!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,871,035 times
Quote:

Yes it can feel similar. Maybe or maybe not. The question is, do YOU want a baby?

I think most of us with anxiety and panic disorder get more worked up worrying about what might be than anything, don't you? It's all about the fear. If you don't really want a baby then I say don't do it but if you do want one I think you can handle it.

You could use a good support group for people with panic and anxiety disorders.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 PM

543 posts, read 2,314,658 times
I loved being pregnant. And as for L&D, just a little discomfort, I knew with each little bit of discomfort I was that much closer to my child being born. As for arms and legs in the rib cage, no big deal, I carried 4 of my kids high right under my rib cage. I was more uncomfortable with the one I carried low.

I forgot to add I also suffer from panic/anxiety. I had no problems with it whatsoever.
As for labor, I was never uncomfortable, matter of fact with #4 I did not realize I was in labor until my drs appt that morning and he informed me I was dilated to 6 and to get to the hospital. Got to the hospital at 11 and delivered my son at 11:04.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy