Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,230,557 times

Advertisements

I am not and never have been a Tebow fan. I never saw what the appeal was for the guy.

It seems like ESPN love this guy. Hell he's 3rd string QB. They act like the guy is a phenom. He's good but he's not as good as ESPN's hype?

No, I am not a Tebow hater. I've never been a fan.

What's your take on Tebow?

Last edited by Ron.; 08-11-2010 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 PM

219 posts, read 262,526 times
Lately, I've seemed like the ESPN homer, but I get more confused every day: when ESPN runs features on clowns like T.O. and Ochocinco for a weekend, people gripe and complain. When they give a lot of attention to a team that is only the most popular team and hottest ticket in the sport, it's a problem. So when ESPN gives attention to a guy who's never done a thing wrong in his life, a guy who has done more good for more people in his 20-something years on earth than everyone who will comment on this topic combined, they get killed for that too. Man it must suck being the best at what you do.

Tebow is very, very popular, despite you not seeing what the fuss is. A lot of people like him and a lot of people don't. Is it a lot of attention for a guy who hasn't done anything in the NFL yet and who wasn't even a great qb (statistically, mechanically) in college? Sure. But the people want to see him. He's mythical. He's been working on his mechanics. He's got the #1 selling jersey since he was drafted. For people who don't follow college football closely, this may be the first time they're really getting to know him.

To answer the question why is ESPN in love with Tebow... He gets them big ratings. That's more money. They could put a poll question on espn.com right now that said simply: Tim Tebow - Love him, Hate him; it would get 150,000 responses in a couple hours, maybe split down the middle. He's that kind of polarizing.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,320,370 times
Maybe it's because people are tired of 'heroes' who make 8 million a year and get 20 different women pregnant, or they are arrested for the 5th and still make more money in 6 weeks than they will in a lifetime. Or they are offered millions and hold out because they want more. Or they treat women like chattel, or they kill and abuse dogs. Or they make more money in college than I do on Social Security. Maybe because he will stand there for 2 hours and sign autographs, when other 'heroes' wald past kids like they don't see them. Maybe it's because he does Missionary work, and isn't afraid to talk about his faith. Might be because he accepts being a role model to kids. Maybe because he states he is a virgin and plans to wait and save himself until his marraige night. Might be because he is a Christian, and proud of it.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,103,812 times
Look at it this way: it beats having to hear about Dallas or TO

Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,062,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Maybe it's because people are tired of 'heroes' who make 8 million a year and get 20 different women pregnant, or they are arrested for the 5th and still make more money in 6 weeks than they will in a lifetime. Or they are offered millions and hold out because they want more. Or they treat women like chattel, or they kill and abuse dogs. Or they make more money in college than I do on Social Security. Maybe because he will stand there for 2 hours and sign autographs, when other 'heroes' wald past kids like they don't see them. Maybe it's because he does Missionary work, and isn't afraid to talk about his faith. Might be because he accepts being a role model to kids. Maybe because he states he is a virgin and plans to wait and save himself until his marraige night. Might be because he is a Christian, and proud of it.
That's my take on it too. Tim Tebow is a great guy with a big heart who has a lot of integrity and character. It's refreshing to see someone like him getting attention.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,023,947 times
Just like Favre, both players generate TV ratings.

If I could get high TV ratings they would have Rachel Nichols sleep at my house too.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:06 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,573,704 times
like another poster on here said: espn has become a marketing tool for the athletes they cover.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 PM

996 posts, read 1,903,733 times
Tebow is awesome that why. (I'm a Vols fan, But I liked Tebow before I became a Vols fan)

Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,328,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I am not and never have been a Tebow fan. I never saw what the appeal was for the guy.

It seems like ESPN love this guy. Hell he's 3rd string QB. They act like the guy is a phenom. He's good but he's not as good as ESPN's hype?

No, I am not a Tebow hater. I've never been a fan.

What's your take on Tebow?
It's simple he's marketable to a certain segment of the population. The reality is the business of sports is in most way is all about MARKETING.

He's white! The NFL is about 70% black having a marketable white guy is a definite plus.

He's a self professed christian!

He's got southern ties i.e. the University of Florida!

Say what you will about him he was a successful college player!

ESPN has nothing to lose by pumping the guy up. For a least a year or two he'll be marketable no matter what he does on the field. If he falls on his face so what. He won't by the first of last successful college player that flames out in the NFL.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,645,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Tebow is awesome that why. (I'm a Vols fan, But I liked Tebow before I became a Vols fan)
That just makes no sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football