Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:44 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

For me it was in 2009 when the Steelers beat the Cardinals. I wanted to see Kurt Warner get his second ring after making the Superbowl for a 3rd time but he was let down by his defense.

When was your last disappointing SB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 06:18 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Super Bowl XIII
The Cowboys were going for back to back Titles and this game was so disappointing from the Randy White fumbled kickoff to the Jackie Smith dropped TD pass to the Benny Barnes PI call. It seemed that what ever could go wrong, did go wrong for the Cowboys in this game. Very disappointing!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:25 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Easily last year's. The Broncos bring a historically good offense in, and despite an injury list that was longer than a southern gospel sermon their defense was somehow playing respectable football. The Seahawks outplayed them in every phase of the game, there is no question about that. But it took the Broncos showing up asleep at the wheel for it to be the extreme disappointment it was. They just didn't have it that night. After the first snap the camera panned to the sidelines and the looks on the players faces told me everything I needed to know: the Broncos lost that game before they even stepped on the field.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:31 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
For me it was in 2009 when the Steelers beat the Cardinals. I wanted to see Kurt Warner get his second ring after making the Superbowl for a 3rd time but he was let down by his defense.

When was your last disappointing SB?
Same one for me. I thought the Cardinals had won it too after the long Larrry Fitzgerald TD. I forget Larry's stats in that postseason but I recall them being pretty incredible. I think he set a few records.

Since then all teams I was hoping would win did with the exception of the Broncos last year. But that wasn't overly disappointing. Probably because it was a blow-out.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:33 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Super Bowl XIII
The Cowboys were going for back to back Titles and this game was so disappointing from the Randy White fumbled kickoff to the Jackie Smith dropped TD pass to the Benny Barnes PI call. It seemed that what ever could go wrong, did go wrong for the Cowboys in this game. Very disappointing!
All the way back to super bowl 13? None of the super bowl's since have left you feeling dissapointed?

Old 01-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
All the way back to super bowl 13? None of the super bowl's since have left you feeling disappointed?
Well, certainly there were teams I was rooting for that lost but they were not MY team so i didn't feel terribly disappointed. I think there is always a flip side for me when i don't have a big rooting interest. Take last year, I was pulling for Peyton and the Broncos but when Seattle won, that was ok as well because they had never won and I used to live in Seattle so I know a lot of Seahawks fans.. Unless its my team, i can always flip it over and see the bright side... so I am not terribly disappointed unless the Cowboys are playing and they lose which hasn't happened since 1979 in Super Bowl XIII. That was a real bummer!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:33 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
As a Patriots fan - 2007 when the Giants beat the Pats and the undefeated season disappeared. I will admit that the Giants have the Pats number in the playoffs as proven by both of the Giants victories.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
As a Patriots fan - 2007 when the Giants beat the Pats and the undefeated season disappeared. I will admit that the Giants have the Pats number in the playoffs as proven by both of the Giants victories.
Yeah, I can see how that one hurt. It's funny we're talking about this. Anyone who is a serious sports fan has to be well acquainted with disappointment, though. Even the fans of a good team are. You don't win the big game way more often than you win it. 32 teams in the league and only one of them ends the season the way they truly want it to end.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:04 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yeah, I can see how that one hurt. It's funny we're talking about this. Anyone who is a serious sports fan has to be well acquainted with disappointment, though. Even the fans of a good team are. You don't win the big game way more often than you win it. 32 teams in the league and only one of them ends the season the way they truly want it to end.
In the grand scheme of things as a Patriots fan, the team owes me nothing.

Since Brady/Belichick partnered up, no other team has been as successful, not even close. 5 SB appearances almost 2 handfuls of AFC Championship games. Most other teams are lucky to reach the championship game even a couple of times. To be a fan of a dynasty is lucky and fulfilling.

This year is the best chance the Pats have had since 2004 to win it all. I hope they do.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
In the grand scheme of things as a Patriots fan, the team owes me nothing.

Since Brady/Belichick partnered up, no other team has been as successful, not even close. 5 SB appearances almost 2 handfuls of AFC Championship games. Most other teams are lucky to reach the championship game even a couple of times. To be a fan of a dynasty is lucky and fulfilling.

This year is the best chance the Pats have had since 2004 to win it all. I hope they do.
you didn't think they had a better chance in 2007? I think they were favored over the Gmen by 14.. or so!

There are few who can boast such an accomplishment like you said, none during the Patriots recent run besides themselves. When i started watching the NFL, the Cowboys were on top and remained their for 20 years. They reached 5 Super Bowls, won 2 and played in 12 conference Championship games in a span of 17 years. They had 20 winning seasons in a row, reaching the playoffs 18 of those 20 years. Unprecedented! The only way I can explain it to anyone that has been a fan for only the past few decades is to point to the Patriots of today. They are the only team that comes close to resembling the Cowboys of the late 60s, 70s and early 80s. If the Patriots continue this run for another 5 or so years and were to add another Super Bowl, they will be in a class all by themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football