Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 12:30 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I thought they had a rule where a certain number of players DID have to be 'local'.. Or am I thinking of the AAF or other iteration of the XFL?

Regardless.. FILLING the roster with those players doesn't make sense.. But having a certain number of players does. I mean, if you have two great kickers that are both 'local' to say the St Louis area.. That shouldn't stop one of those kickers from going to another team.

Need to look up their playoff format.. and seems.. They might be in the same boat as the XFL.. Winding up with a champion that basically had a losing record.
The kickers will have to be best kicker in the location or try for another league. That is why my idea will also limit teams to the states that are traditional football recruiting powerhouses for the time being. As it expands, then things can change.

My idea is just for now to generate the hype they need as a fledging pro league. All this is about generating revenue, and not necessarily about creating as many jobs opportunities for football players. Now of course there is still jobs, but you just have to be best you can be to get on roster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 12:35 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
MODERATOR SPEAKING:

I've merged three threads on the USFL into one so we can keep all of our general discussions on this topic in one place.

Separate threads for specific USFL teams are okay too, like we have "official" threads for the NFL teams.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
MODERATOR SPEAKING:

I've merged three threads on the USFL into one so we can keep all of our general discussions on this topic in one place.

Separate threads for specific USFL teams are okay too, like we have "official" threads for the NFL teams.
This makes discussion on specific topic very difficult to follow. Plus this is not a particularly active forum.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:13 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
This is what I think USFL ought to be doing.

If USFL is going have teams that are named for cities all around the countries in order to invoke those cities/locales as the team's home base, but play games not in those cities, then they should only fill their roster with players who played their prep football in those metros, or states.

For example, NJ Generals will only have players who played HS ball in NJ. Philadelphia will only have players from the Philly Metro. Of course there is going to be some overlap though. As the league grows you can expand the territory of each team to give everyone available a shot.

The USFL is playing all games out of four cities only in order to save on travel costs. It is going to be hard to build a fanbase the traditional way. So USFL must attract fans using some else like nostalgia. People grow up in one place but move to another, but likely still feel some attachment to their home state/metro, and want to see how they stack up to others.

In fact, if you think about it that is what college football is suppose to be. It is suppose to be Nebraska kids vs Oklahoma Kids, kids in South Florida vs the rest of Florida, Ohio vs Michigan, Bama kids vs Louisiana Kids. Back then HS kids did not play out of state games. That is in fact, what made college football appealing in the first place. Obviously this is not the case anymore. Colleges recruit all over the country, and have a mixed roster. But that old appeal can be revived with the USFL.

With this method, there is no need to actually play in the cities/states because you essentially bring the city/state with you. Therefore, you can actually play the games in retirement/vacation communities in the south during summer. The fans in those cities will likely be traveling through or staying there. The USFL will save money, and make money.
It is an intriguing ideal. However the league would need to re city and name some of the teams to set up a less strict territorial system.

Birmingham Stallions, Memphis Showboats, New Orleans Breakers, Pittsburgh Maulers, Philadelphia Stars, Michigan Panthers, Houston Gamblers and New Jersey Generals.

In particular while you have sort of crosstown rivalries of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia or Houston and New Orleans you have large swarths of the country known for high school football fanaticism un or at least under represented.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:33 PM

3,729 posts, read 2,551,518 times
First half of the '23 championship game has been good.
Pittsburgh kicker (Blewitt) keeping 'em in the game. Including a 55 yard missile booted at the end of the half. Blewitt's leg has looked good, and I remember he wasn't given much of a chance in the NFL, but looks legit now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football