Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 08:10 AM

7,601 posts, read 6,103,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
^ I totally agree with you. The fans want to see football. I don't think they care who is playing, they want to see the game and scoring, excitement, a back and forth game.

We turned the XFL game on for a few minutes Not too much in a football mood, as much as we love football, having a break makes it more fun when it does return. The NFL Still has a monopoly...on many fans. While some of us love football no matter what, some will watch only the NFL or maybe Only colleges...I am looking forward to the CFL in June, and while I may turn an XFL game on , I would not look forard to it every week like watching and NFL game or Even a MAC game incollege season.

That being said, we talked about how the USFL Arena Ball WLAF Etc etc all failed... and came up with an iidea. If they truly want to run a minor league football program, then why not have it run concurrently with the NFL Season I mean, the NFL has the fans anyway, perhaps a Tueday or Wednesday night Minor League type of football will appease a few fans but it also will allow NFL teams to pick and scavange players to practice squads with players who have been playing football as opposed to a free agent who has been off for months or a year......They can always tweak eligibility rules, saying a player must be on an NFL practice squad from the inor league for 2 weeks before moving into the starting 55 roster or something.....It works fine to have minor league baseball running the same time as the MLB......maybe put some of these teams in markets as a test...San Antonio, Portland, St Louis, Oakland, Omaha, etc can all have a team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 08:22 AM

17,641 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Like watching two bad high school teams.

What were you expecting?

If you were expecting top tier NFL quality football, that's on you.

For what it was.. Not bad. I didn't see a **** poor quality of play and, in fact, most of the games were fairly exciting throughout.

Paxton Lynch benched at half.. Good to see Wade Phillips and.. Well, kinda good to see Gregg Williams again.

I saw Martavis Bryant and Josh Gordon on rosters.. Gordon looked.. Pretty good.

They didn't hit a home run.. But it was at least a solid double.

The first iteration of the XFL.. THAT was **** poor play. No one seems to have made that mistake since.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:06 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,160,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What were you expecting?

If you were expecting top tier NFL quality football, that's on you.

For what it was.. Not bad. I didn't see a **** poor quality of play and, in fact, most of the games were fairly exciting throughout.

Paxton Lynch benched at half.. Good to see Wade Phillips and.. Well, kinda good to see Gregg Williams again.

I saw Martavis Bryant and Josh Gordon on rosters.. Gordon looked.. Pretty good.

They didn't hit a home run.. But it was at least a solid double.

The first iteration of the XFL.. THAT was **** poor play. No one seems to have made that mistake since.
Not sure these teams could beat Georgia.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:

These teams have played together for 1 game. I doubt they could, either.

Again.. What are you looking for here? NFL Quality play? You're in the wrong place.

Decent football when there are no other options? That's what you're going to (hopefully) get.

After all, the 'secondary level' talent pool is really getting spread kinda thin with the XFL, USFL and CFL all operational.. PLUS Arena apparently making a comeback.

Go back and see if you can find the first XFL game back in 2001 or whenever it was.. THAT was bad. The AAF was much better, but not great. Those teams, again, were thrown together too quickly.

If you're here to see a competitor to the NFL.. Not gonna happen. You're going to see people who weren't quite good enough or had problems and aren't on an NFL team because of it. Hopefully.. You get a feel-good story out of it like Rod Smart back in the day (He Hate Me).. Or Tommy Maddox.. Or PJ Walker.. Or Taylor Heineke.

These are people playing the game because they love it. That may be the one advantage all these leagues have over the NFL.

The one knock I will give is.. The one disadvantage certainly seems to be in the kicking games. Wow, were they bad.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:48 PM

Wow.. Another REALLY good game tonight between Seattle and St Louis.

Now.. "Really Good Game".. Meaning.. Decently exciting. Incredible finish.Again.. Not NFL caliber football, but.. That's not what we should expect.

There was good, bad and ugly. I about laughed my ass of when St Louis attempted a 50 yard FG. Kickers are the weakest part of these teams. the guy DAMN near made it, tho. The truest kicker I've seen in the league so far.. He just didn't have the leg for it. Came up.. Literally about a foot short. then nailed the game winning 44 yarder with no time left.

ESPN really needs to get stats for these games.

Oh, and.. Rushing.. Needs some work. Pretty poor running in the games so far.

Josh Gordon.. Damn.. I'm proud of that guy. Keeping himself clean, and you gotta feel he's just doing this for pure love of the game. I've said it before.. VERY few drug addicts do I have sympathy for.. But he's one. Him and Dexter Manley are the two that I can remember from the NFL. Both just.. The demons got them and they did their damndest to get rid of them, but.. They kept coming back for them. Dexter finally won.. And I'm pulling for Josh.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:39 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,754,029 times
XFL team home games are where? O wait the teams all play outside of the states they claim to be in. who is the bright idea behind this?

Old 02-26-2023, 07:23 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,363,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
XFL team home games are where? O wait the teams all play outside of the states they claim to be in. who is the bright idea behind this?
Uh, I think you're confusing the XFL and the USFL?

The XFL are actually playing their games where the home team is located, it was the USFL that played all of their games in Birmingham last year.

This year it seems like the USFL will play games in Memphis, Birmingham, Canton and Detroit.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:09 AM

17,835 posts, read 13,750,003 times
Quote:
I doubt the XFL teams could beat an elite college team, but I imagine they could beat some of them given the talent that are on their squads and the fact that they are older than the college players. Some of these guys were pretty high level players on good teams when they played in college.

I flip around and see if games are close and then watch the last few minutes if they are. I do the same thing for all other sports unless it is a game I have a specific interest in. I'm all about late game suspense if it's a game I don't really care about. And I don't really care about any XFL game. So....

Old 03-13-2023, 08:11 AM

4,029 posts, read 2,380,972 times
I channel surf to watch some games Saturday and Sunday. Not that the play is sub par but I am conditioned to watch the NFL. Plus there are other sport options this time of year. March madness is upon us. NBA is in the stretch run of their season and teams are trying to get playoff seeding. Baseball is in spring training. Anything to get out of cleaning the garage.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:37 AM

I've caught a few of the games.. I'm really enjoying watching St Louis and the DC team, the latter for two reasons. Beer snakes and "**** Dan Snyder" chants.

The running games and kicking games seem to be coming on a bit. I think they had the first 100 yard rusher of the season back in week 3.

The kickoffs are really interesting. I don't think that's something I'd like to see in the NFL.. But kudos for trying something, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football