Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 04:54 PM

17,745 posts, read 15,522,162 times

Advertisements

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...um-renovations

I had heard about this a week or so ago, but with it being picked up by ESPN.. I'm taking it a touch more seriously now.

https://goo.gl/maps/NSnGqCavGBP7q19V8

Where in the hell do you put the field there and have ANY good seats?

The frontstretch is nearly a mile long. The seats all run the frontstretch. A football field is only, what? 120 yards counting the endzones? So, the field is ~360 feet long, the stands run about 5000 feet.

I get it.. It's been done before.. At Bristol. a 1/2 mile track.. University of Tennessee has played at least one game there.. But.. I just don't see how this could ever work at Daytona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 11:27 AM

9,713 posts, read 9,982,177 times
I doubt if that will really happen.

I bet the Camping World Stadium in Orlando will be their temporary home.

Old 06-14-2023, 12:36 PM

4,447 posts, read 4,364,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I doubt if that will really happen.

I bet the Camping World Stadium in Orlando will be their temporary home.
Why not Gainesville? It's closer to Jacksonville.

Old 06-15-2023, 05:52 AM

9,713 posts, read 9,982,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Why not Gainesville? It's closer to Jacksonville.
Might have too many conflicts with NCAA season.

Also by playing in Orlando, it could end up making more Jag fans. With Orlando being without a team and stuck basically in the center of the state, Orlando football fans could root for Tampa, Miami or Jacksonville.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:34 AM

4,894 posts, read 7,006,028 times
Quote:

Also by playing in Orlando, it could end up making more Jag fans. With Orlando being without a team and stuck basically in the center of the state, Orlando football fans could root for Tampa, Miami or Jacksonville.
It's very doable working with Gainesville. Only a few years ago the Minnesota Vikings played their home games at the then new U. of Minnesota football complex while U.S. Bank Stadium was being built. The university managed to get a heated football field installed courtesy of the Vikings during this time.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:35 AM

8,992 posts, read 17,382,196 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It's very doable working with Gainesville. Only a few years ago the Minnesota Vikings played their home games at the then new U. of Minnesota football complex while U.S. Bank Stadium was being built. The university managed to get a heated football field installed courtesy of the Vikings during this time.
In addition to the Vikings, both the Seahawks and Bears have spent time using college stadiums. The Seattle Seahawks played 2 season at Husky Stadium at the UW campus in 2000 and 2001; and the Chicago Bears spent 2002 at Memorial Stadium in Champaign IL. There is absolutely precedent for making an arrangement to temporally use a place like the swamp in Gainesville.

Old 06-15-2023, 01:07 PM

17,745 posts, read 15,522,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
In addition to the Vikings, both the Seahawks and Bears have spent time using college stadiums. The Seattle Seahawks played 2 season at Husky Stadium at the UW campus in 2000 and 2001; and the Chicago Bears spent 2002 at Memorial Stadium in Champaign IL. There is absolutely precedent for making an arrangement to temporally use a place like the swamp in Gainesville.

And I'd have to say a 100% better fan experience than at Daytona.

Look.. A concert at Daytona? Ok.. That could work. It's great s a race track.. But a football game? I just don't see that. They'd have to do some kind of temporary seating which.. Seems to make the whole point worthless.

Again.. They've done it at Bristol before with UT.. And.. So far as I know, that went over quite well.. Again.. Bristol is a 1/2 mile track, not a 2 1/2 mile track.

I'm all for the two great tastes that taste great together.. I mean, Peanut Butter and Chocolate.. Hey.. Not bad. And even weird things, like Chocolate and hot peppers.. Weird, but they work together.

This is like.. Milk and Tequila. No. Just no.

Last edited by Labonte18; 06-15-2023 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-15-2023, 04:17 PM

4,447 posts, read 4,364,333 times
Quote:

True with Orlando, but the Vikings played at an NCAA stadium for two years.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:13 PM

7,621 posts, read 6,139,378 times
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...g-renovations/
today's Update.....

OF COURSE, this is all dependent on the city funding and the new Mayor.....THis is , after all, the NFL, so the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition Apply...including "Never pay for something if you can get it free" or "Always make someone else pay the cost, but always reap the profit" Which should be and probably are Ferengi ideals.....

Either way, stadiums are not built by teams, they are built (and rebuilt) by taxpayers, the majority of whom do not follow football and will never benefit any profit from the increased taxes ( to cover the bonds to build the stadium)

BUT.... Think of the JOKES we will be making if the Jaguars end up playing at the race track, or a college field...or on the side of the road.......or the Zoo....

Old 06-21-2023, 06:31 PM

68,393 posts, read 54,656,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

And don't forget that the NY Giants played two seasons at the Yale Bowl in New Haven CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football