Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 10:11 AM

1,119 posts, read 516,737 times

Advertisements

…is an absolute joke. I was listening to Mark Madden the other day and he was just outright schooling any idiots who actually tried to call in and argue that he’s great or could be a top 5-10 type QB. Before I dive in, he *could* be above average - think Kirk Cousins level. But why are people acting like he’s going to be the next Lawrence, Hurts, or I read somewhere a potential dark horse MVP candidate! Good lord!

His stats:
33rd in TD passes with 7. Never threw more than 1 in a game.
33rd in passer rating at 76.7.
63% completion, bottom half of the league.
28th in YPG at 184.9.

People just want to hype him up for a few reasons…
-two big drives - which were great. But why not do better earlier on in the game?
-he went to Pitt. Pitt fans are the most insufferable people around. I will say him leading them to 11 wins and an ACC championship (even though the conference sucks) is impressive for them because they are just such a mediocre, middling 6-7 win type program and won’t win that many again in our lifetime.

But hey, he had that big year in his 9th season at Pitt! Is he 30 yet?

Just blame Matt Canada when Pickett ends up having another mediocre season. That’s the easy way out. Please tell me I’m wrong. You can’t, because I’m right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 03:03 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,241,183 times
Honestly until that fake slide in the ACC game I barely knew who he was.

I haven't heard any MVP talk but I do remember last years draft he was the only QB prospect being talked about.

Old 07-15-2023, 04:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
I think people are a little silly to judge Pickett already. It isn’t like he is surrounded by great players. Why do people seem to always rain on others hopes? Seriously, why? So if he isn’t that good, so what. Let people just enjoy the moment. Goodness.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:12 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,008 times
I like Pickett a lot actually. Dark horse MVP talk is nonsense though. But to be honest the OP is the first I heard it mentioned. I don't think it is a legit talking point.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:21 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think people are a little silly to judge Pickett already. It isn’t like he is surrounded by great players. Why do people seem to always rain on others hopes? Seriously, why? So if he isn’t that good, so what. Let people just enjoy the moment. Goodness.

At least this one, there is SOME NFL side data to look at.. But it's still too soon to make a call. Do I see him being the next Brett Favre, Joe Montana or Steve Young? Not likely.. But.. He did go 7-5 in his rookie season with.. As you say, not a great supporting cast.

I figure we'll know more and have a better idea of what his capabilities are after this coming season. he didn't embarrass himself last year.

Mark Madden is a Pittsburgh homer, big time.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:28 PM

1,119 posts, read 516,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Mark Madden is a Pittsburgh homer, big time.
He really only likes the Penguins and even with them is fair and upfront about their issues. In no way, shape or form is he anywhere near a “homer” for the pirates and Steelers, in fact many Pittsburgh fans think he’s a hater, but all he really does is spit facts.

Old 07-18-2023, 12:33 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,284,253 times
I haven't heard him mentioned in the same conversation as Lawrence or Herbert by anybody.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
He really only likes the Penguins and even with them is fair and upfront about their issues. In no way, shape or form is he anywhere near a “homer” for the pirates and Steelers, in fact many Pittsburgh fans think he’s a hater, but all he really does is spit facts.

Eh.. I mainly remember hearing from him during hockey season.. So.. Maybe that has clouded my judgement a bit.. Especially since I'm a Caps fan.

oh, and remember him from the wresting heyday back in the late 90's.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
…is an absolute joke. I was listening to Mark Madden the other day and he was just outright schooling any idiots who actually tried to call in and argue that he’s great or could be a top 5-10 type QB. Before I dive in, he *could* be above average - think Kirk Cousins level. But why are people acting like he’s going to be the next Lawrence, Hurts, or I read somewhere a potential dark horse MVP candidate! Good lord!

His stats:
33rd in TD passes with 7. Never threw more than 1 in a game.
33rd in passer rating at 76.7.
63% completion, bottom half of the league.
28th in YPG at 184.9.

People just want to hype him up for a few reasons…
-two big drives - which were great. But why not do better earlier on in the game?
-he went to Pitt. Pitt fans are the most insufferable people around. I will say him leading them to 11 wins and an ACC championship (even though the conference sucks) is impressive for them because they are just such a mediocre, middling 6-7 win type program and won’t win that many again in our lifetime.

But hey, he had that big year in his 9th season at Pitt! Is he 30 yet?

Just blame Matt Canada when Pickett ends up having another mediocre season. That’s the easy way out. Please tell me I’m wrong. You can’t, because I’m right.
Hurts took some time to get going. He did not even do that good this past season even though they go to SB. He just a game manager.

Pickett only has one great season in College much like Joe Burrows.

It is too soon to judge Pickett in either directions.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:23 AM

1,982 posts, read 969,691 times
There isn't enough to judge. One season in the NFL does not tell the tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football