Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 02:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
You know what's funny? Justin Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton and Max Starks were three of our five starting offensive linemen in Super Bowl XLIII, and yet, when the Steelers eventually cut them, nobody else wanted them. It's rather telling, if you ask me.
The fact the Steelers have been so successful the last decade with our offensive line just goes to show how good they really were. For most teams that would have been a fatal flaw.

Unfortunately it looks like this may be the year the Steelers can't overcome the o line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 PM

72 posts, read 77,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So, does anybody (other than Trent Dilfer) still insist that Roethlisberger is the problem here? If you do, then please make your voice heard so that I can mock and ridicule you mercilessly before I ignore you permanently.
Today I had a pretty heated discussion with a dude about this. He insists that Ben is the problem. His example: the one play that Ben changed to a passing play but the OL still executed the running play.

I told him there were 3 different times in the Texans game when Ben saw the blitz & threw the hot route...but the receiver continued his route instead of breaking it off. He said it was Ben's fault for not letting the receiver know LMAO!

He was incredulous when I explained to him that it is the job of the QB & WR to see the blitz and act accordingly without verbalizing it because you don't want to tip the D that you know where they're coming from. I pointed out the 2nd pick in XXX as an example. NoD saw that Bill Bates was coming & threw the hot route. Corey Holiday (a rookie in for injured Ernie Mills) didn't see it and ran straight up the field. Gift pick for the Cowboys. I still remember Jim Gray, in the post game, trying to get NoD to throw Holiday under the bus. NoD took the high road.

After all that the guy still didn't believe me & continued to insist Ben was the problem.

I ended it by telling him there were two problems on O: The OL really is terrible. They can't run block, and their pass protection is only decent when Ben runs the no huddle, which brings us to the next issue...Bruce Arians' refusal to adjust his game plan to take what the D is giving. Teams are scheming to stop the running game. So to combat that you take short passes, which is what they are giving. Arians won't do it. Watch Ben run the no huddle & see how he slices up the D with the short passing game. Because he doesn't care about the game plan...he cares about moving the ball!

Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Big Ben is not the problem, not in the least, he still has it and doesn't get the credit he deserves. The Steelers have other issues before you can point at Ben.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:20 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillersfaninwi View Post
Today I had a pretty heated discussion with a dude about this. He insists that Ben is the problem. His example: the one play that Ben changed to a passing play but the OL still executed the running play.

I told him there were 3 different times in the Texans game when Ben saw the blitz & threw the hot route...but the receiver continued his route instead of breaking it off. He said it was Ben's fault for not letting the receiver know LMAO!

He was incredulous when I explained to him that it is the job of the QB & WR to see the blitz and act accordingly without verbalizing it because you don't want to tip the D that you know where they're coming from. I pointed out the 2nd pick in XXX as an example. NoD saw that Bill Bates was coming & threw the hot route. Corey Holiday (a rookie in for injured Ernie Mills) didn't see it and ran straight up the field. Gift pick for the Cowboys. I still remember Jim Gray, in the post game, trying to get NoD to throw Holiday under the bus. NoD took the high road.

After all that the guy still didn't believe me & continued to insist Ben was the problem.

I ended it by telling him there were two problems on O: The OL really is terrible. They can't run block, and their pass protection is only decent when Ben runs the no huddle, which brings us to the next issue...Bruce Arians' refusal to adjust his game plan to take what the D is giving. Teams are scheming to stop the running game. So to combat that you take short passes, which is what they are giving. Arians won't do it. Watch Ben run the no huddle & see how he slices up the D with the short passing game. Because he doesn't care about the game plan...he cares about moving the ball!
I'm surprised that nobody's blamed Ben for the real estate/financial crisis we've had.

If this guy who argued with you is a Steeler fan, then he's on the left end of the bell curve representing all Steeler fans. If he's not, well then it's just par for the course because everybody's idea of the Steelers is just plain obsolete. Considering that most non-Steeler fans still believe that the Steelers have a top running game (they haven't since 2007), there's literally no hope in getting people to realize the Ben has, in fact, been getting rid of the ball plenty quickly in the last couple of seasons. Apparently he has to get rid of the ball in the middle of his dropback now, or he has to yell at his WRs, "Hey, there's a blitz coming! Break off your route now! Here comes the ball!"

Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 PM

This could be ugly.

he Pittsburgh Steelers scratched six players for Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans.

Ruled out are defensive end Aaron Smith (foot), defensive tackle Casey Hampton (shoulder), linebacker James Harrison (eye), linebacker Jason Worilds (quad), guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee) and halfback Mewelde Moore (ankle).

Halfback Rashard Mendenhall (hamstring) had a limited practice Friday and is questionable. He will be a game-time decision. Cornerback Cortez Allen is questionable with an ankle injury.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This could be ugly.

he Pittsburgh Steelers scratched six players for Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans.

Ruled out are defensive end Aaron Smith (foot), defensive tackle Casey Hampton (shoulder), linebacker James Harrison (eye), linebacker Jason Worilds (quad), guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee) and halfback Mewelde Moore (ankle).

Halfback Rashard Mendenhall (hamstring) had a limited practice Friday and is questionable. He will be a game-time decision. Cornerback Cortez Allen is questionable with an ankle injury.
Honestly, the only injuries that concern me are the James Harrison/Jason Worilds injuries. That leaves us thin at both ROLB and RILB since Lawrence Timmons is moving over to take Harrison's place. Otherwise, Ziggy Hood will get to start, and Isaac Redman and Steve McLendon will get more action too.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Wow. I was certainly not expecting that kind of domination. Glad to see it though. Line played very well. Ben played great on a bad wheel. Defense looked good (except that last TD - I don't know how you don't cover that guy deep).

Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 PM

So how "overrated" was he today?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
What a game, they just got it done, showed all the ones making the "Steelers are old" comments, myself included!

Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Nice win and with a banged up team. Loved it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football