Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times

Advertisements

Second.-Defense. Their secondary got whacked last year, no question. They finished 30th in the NFC in pass defense, and gave up 32 touchdown passes. They improved at linebacker by getting John Vilma from the Jets. No pro bowlers here, but steady players. On the line they picked up Charles Grant in free agency. Their best D-line guy is Hollis Thomas. Overall they finished 26th in the NFC in total defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
ogplife-Whazzup? OK, let me take a few shots here. First-offense. Not the same team that went to the NFC Championship game in '06. Went to 7-9 in '07. Drew Breeze led the conference in pass attempts with 652; not a good stat as it suggests they are passing a lot to stay in games. Reggie Bush ran for 581 yards, 24th in the conference. Definitely not a good stat as it underlines the deficiency in their offensive concept. But there is the factor of Deuce McCallister and Reggie Bush missing more than half the season with injuries. Marques Colston was 2nd in the NFC with 98 catches. A quality receiver but don't forget about the 652 attempts! Their O-line gave up only 16 sacks. Yet they were 7-9. BTW, they lost their pro bowl center Jeff Faine, I believe to free agency.
2H it don't look Deuce will be carrying a heavy load for a little while. Reggie is not threat running the ball (highly overrated runner), although he is a threat in other ways, and Colston is out for a few weeks so I don't see their offense as a threat to us this week either. I smell blow out. Aside from winning I want to see my man Elvis get going. I wonder if that hand injury is still affecting him. I have been hoping for more from Dre Bly and Daniel Graham for 18 games and I am wondering if it is time to accept them as a disappointments. 10 million for Bly and Graham should be left off Shannahans resume, although I won't lie I was big on the Bly move when we did it so I am being a little hypocritical.

Last edited by ogplife; 09-17-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 AM

Agreed on your comments. I think Shanahan learned his lesson over the off season regarding the signing bonus paid those two, and the base salary as well. He did pick up a few players but fortunately held the line,I think, on paying nutsy money. I think the Sam Adams and Simeon Rice situation finally convinced him that he is going to have to re-think the free agency market. Bly did get worked over a bit last year, but when you are playing opposite Champ, that's going to happen. And Champ got burned on a td pass himself in the Charger game. As McG said a couple days ago, that's gonna happen as well. But like you, I kind of like Dre myself.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-18-2008 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
I like anybody that can tackle. And for that reason alone, I will support Champ until he retires, hopefully on his own terms.

Talk about a hypocrite, that's me with Champ Bailey and John Lynch. I didn't like the idea of picking up these big name guys and wanted them to prove themselves. Hey, having a shut-down corner is great but is he really that good?

Well any guy who can run interceptions back for touchdowns is pretty good in my book. I love Champs tackling technique. Everybody on the team should be schooled by his technique.

John Lynch was a monster who not only tackled well, but could put the hurt on and not be a dirty player. Now we lost him. Who's gonna replace his technique and leadership?

I think we have a very speedy and in-shape defense. But why are we not among the elite defensive teams in the league and what would it take to get us there again? That blown special teams play against the bolts hurt us bad last Sunday. Why we can't come out in the 3rd quarter with the same fire as we had going into the locker room is another question.

Paymuh... to just sit him on the bench would solve many problems for that defense in my opinion. Who do we got to replace him? I wonder how he feels this week If he don't come out on fire and show us something this Sunday, he should be gone. I'd rather see him penalized for pass interference on every ball that comes his way than to see an effort like he had against the Bolts.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:33 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I like anybody that can tackle. And for that reason alone, I will support Champ until he retires, hopefully on his own terms.

Talk about a hypocrite, that's me with Champ Bailey and John Lynch. I didn't like the idea of picking up these big name guys and wanted them to prove themselves. Hey, having a shut-down corner is great but is he really that good?

Well any guy who can run interceptions back for touchdowns is pretty good in my book. I love Champs tackling technique. Everybody on the team should be schooled by his technique.

John Lynch was a monster who not only tackled well, but could put the hurt on and not be a dirty player. Now we lost him. Who's gonna replace his technique and leadership?

I think we have a very speedy and in-shape defense. But why are we not among the elite defensive teams in the league and what would it take to get us there again? That blown special teams play against the bolts hurt us bad last Sunday. Why we can't come out in the 3rd quarter with the same fire as we had going into the locker room is another question.

Paymuh... to just sit him on the bench would solve many problems for that defense in my opinion. Who do we got to replace him? I wonder how he feels this week If he don't come out on fire and show us something this Sunday, he should be gone. I'd rather see him penalized for pass interference on every ball that comes his way than to see an effort like he had against the Bolts.
I honestly think Champ is that good. He is the only corner that will follow a reciever wherever he goes on the field. Did you see how Dallas moved TO to the left side of the offense on Monday (opposite of Asante Samuel) whenever they wanted a big play from TO? He is a great tackler unlike most lock down corners. Yes he may get beat here and there, but he plays straight man to man D on most plays with no assigned help (of course if there is a zone played there is people in certain areas) and you will never see a player not named TO or Moss do what Marshall did to the Chargers who have an "all pro shut down" corner Cromartie on Sunday and lets face it Brandon is not a top five receiver yet. I seen TO light Champ up a couple years ago when he was battling that bad hammy (including a 90 yard screen pass turned touchdown) and I don't remember Moss going off on him ever, but I won't act like it can't happen because I have a lot of respect for Moss. I'm telling you Champ is a historically great player and unselfish too. Do you think Deion would have played most of a season on a slightly torn Hammy or seperated shoulder or willingly play special teams.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:07 PM

Paymah better start hustling or else- gone city. I wish John Lynch would have stayed here in the first place. I'm not sure who started this rift; him, Shanahan, the backs coach or the defensive coordinator. And Lynch should have known that he was gonna get a little less playing time. I would have liked to have seen him as a assistant coach/player. They did it before with Jimmy Spencer some years back. I couldn't think of a better guy suited for that role.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Playing outside your conference isn't always that easy to pick. I looked at New Orleans schedule at the second half of the season and they have a tough go at it. It is kind of comical to read the Reggie Bush thread about the taunting incident against the Redskins defense. In any case, I don't see their defense staying up with us. Drew Breeze is a good quarterback though, and I think he will keep it halfway close to the 4th quarter. But Denver pulls away 34 to 23. Predictions Bronco fans?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:26 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,404 times
SIGH! Gumbo was kept happy this week, maybe I need a horse shoe collar on her for next week. Anyways I enjoyed the game it kept my heart pounding that whole second half; good game!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:43 PM

Douzin Whazzup? Closer game than I thought, but then again my thoughts aren't worth a lot these days. Picked the Bronco score right anyway, the last call that went against the Broncos on the Scheffler fumble I'm debating. I knew it wasn't going to be a blowout, Breeze is a great QB and has had some good games against the Broncos in the past. Denver still can't sack the quarterback to save their %*@!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:45 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,244 times
Looked like a great game to watch with lots of points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football