Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,646,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Honestly I don't see any real weaknesses in the defense. Maybe LB and CB depth? Would like to hear what others think on the defense.
They were a pretty good unit last year (#2 overall in YPG) and I think they will be even better this year with the addition of Oliver and the two young linebackers having another year of development under their belt. They should also benefit from an improved offense that will have them off the field for longer stretches.

I didn't focus on Oliver but most reviews I have seen on him from this game have been positive. He didn't show up in the box score much but his presence was felt in pushing the pocket and pressuring Darnold.

I don't think it is all doom and gloom for the Jets offense this year. I expect Darnold and offense to actually be above average this year. I just think our defense is a dominant unit.

Our D did luck into some pass break ups with our DB's not looking a couple times but able to get a hand in to knock the ball down. And Darnold missed Anderson streaking down the field late with a step on the receiver.

Overall I really think we might have a special year this year. Want to see how they follow up against the Giants though. Would like to see the offense move the ball with ease again without the turnovers and put up 24+ points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 12:22 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,376,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
What a game.

I’ll post more later when I have time. But that was a great way to start the season against a division opponent that was supposed to be better than us on paper. The offense put us in a hole early and mostly due to Allen but if you examined the turnovers under a microscope you realize of the four only two were really on Allen as obvious mistakes. And really three of the four were of the fluke variety. And outside of those 4 plays, Allen threw the ball consistently well from start to finish.

Allen is a Gamer. Period. Love the kid.
He took more hits than I liked running the ball but we got the win and that's what matters.

If anyone would like to watch a condensed replay of the game (40 minutes or so) go here: https://www.timekills.org/2019/09/8-...bills-at-jets/

He is a deployed Bills fan and somehow finds the time to do these every week.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,262,242 times
Congrats Bills fans, loved seeing your team take down the Jets

I do like Allen (though I may be singing a different tune when you play the Pats), I think he will be better than Darnold....if he isn't already

Old 09-14-2019, 07:20 AM

7,617 posts, read 6,133,242 times
I think the difference between Allen and Darnold so far is that Allen seemed to focus more on keeping the pace and rhythm going, while Darnold tried too often to make the big play, hit the home run, and struck out thus stopping everything.

A good QB not only has to be a leader, and have skills, but has to be able to control the tempo of the offense, and it looked a few times like Allen was a little more patient in doing so than Darnold was.

That and the Jets defense blew up by the middle of the 4th Quarter.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:52 AM

The Jets D lost Mosely at the end of the 3rd quarter to a hamstring injury. Mosely was making plays all over the field up to that point. In fact he had just broken up a perfectly placed pass from Allen to Brown in the back of the end zone. Honestly, if Mosely does not leave the game, Bills probably don't complete the comeback. But given the unbelievably bad luck we had on the four Allen turnovers in the first half that I don't expect to see again I'll take a little good luck in the second half.

I still think Darnold will be a good QB in the long run if Gase doesn't ruin him. But his floor and ceiling to me is a Matt Stafford type QB. Franchise guy but just isn't going to make the players around him better consistently enough to make the playoffs every year.

Allen still has bust potential as his floor but he has a sky's the limit type ceiling. He's kind of an old school John Elway/Brett Favre type but with way more athleticism and mobility.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:44 PM

It wasn’t a perfect game by both sides but it was a good game overall. 2-0 and haven’t even played a game at home yet. This offense looks heads and shoulders better than last years and they haven’t even played at home yet. Next week is the home opener against the Bengals who after playing Seattle tough on the road, we’re just blown out at home given up 41 points and 570 yards of offense to the 49ers. Few things in the NFL are a guarantee but I would say a 3-0 start is likely.

Josh Allen’s bust potential is going down exponentially with every week that passes. He made a very Aaron Rodgers like play late in the game when the offense needed to answer the Giants scoring drive that cut the lead to 7.

Hopefully Singletary is okay but I would not rush him back next week if he needs more time. Gore and Yeldon should be enough.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:52 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,835,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
This offense looks heads and shoulders better than last years and they haven’t even played at home yet.

Josh Allen’s bust potential is going down exponentially with every week that passes. He made a very Aaron Rodgers like play late in the game when the offense needed to answer the Giants scoring drive that cut the lead to 7.

I agree, offense looks SOOO much better than last season in pretty much every way. So glad Allen was able to clean up the turnovers and again throw for over 250 yards while still showcasing his running ability. I'm especially pleased with the way Brown and Beasley have inserted themselves as WR#1A & 1B. Really hoping Singletary will be ready to suit up next week after the hamstring issue last in the game.

Defense looked good again and other than the 1st drive was able to really contain Barkley. Would be nice to see them get a little more pressure on the QB but overall can't really be disappointed in how they are playing.

I feel pretty good about our chances against Cinncy, especially after the beatdown they were handed to by the 9er's. So exciting to get 2 road wins and to come home in a very winnable game before week 4 against the Pats.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,316,620 times
As a Pats fan, going into Miami I was thinking if the Pats were to have a stinker historically yesterday would have been the day. Since that didn't happen, looking past the Jets (just for this discussion only) I think the Bills now could be that potential stinker of a game seeing it's on the road for the Pats.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:55 AM

Bills tend to play the Pats poorly when the game gets hyped up. Even if the Bills are at home. And there is a good chance both teams will be 3-0 in that game so it will definitely be hyped.

We also need to keep things in perspective. There is a really good chance that all three teams the Bills will have beaten going into week four could have a combined record of 0-9 on the season. But even with that being the case this years Bills team just looks different than years past.

Yesterday's game for instance could have been a classic let down game considering how it started. Giants marched right down the field in 5 plays and scored a TD. The Bills offense follows that up with a 3 and out on their first possession. Past Bills teams would have quickly surrendered a 14-0 lead. This team took a 21-7 lead into the half.

Then, the Giants make one last attempt to make it a game cutting the Bills lead to 21-14 in the fourth quarter. Bills follow that up with a 6 minute, 13 play 75 yard TD drive to ice the game.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,835,512 times
How is everyone feeling about Sundays game against Cinncinati? Could definitly be a trap game, especially if they are looking forward to the Pats next week. However, I do feel like this team (players and coaches) have enough dicipline to not overlook the current weeks opponent.

I always worry about the Bills playing teams with a strong rushing attack. That does not look like the case at all against Cinncy as they are dead last in the league in rushing after 2 games. Dalton has played decent so far but a good chunk of yards came in garbage time against the 9er's. I think Tre will have his hands full with John Ross which could leave Boyd open for so big plays depending on how Levi plays. However, I think if the the d-line can get some good pressure on Dalton and not give him a lot of time it should be a good win for the Bills.

Cinncy seems to be dealing with some injuries as well as the Bills. Looks like Singletray is day-to-day with the hamstring injury but may not be the worst thing to happen is he misses this game to heal up for the Pats. Tyler Kroft was a full participant in practice yesterday for the first time so it looks like there may be a good chance we get to see him for the first time.

I'm predicting the Bills win 24-16 and Allen gets his first 300 yard passing game. GO BILLS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football