Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember back in the 80's the USFL (United States Football League)

Teams
Arizona Wranglers
Birmingham Stallions
Boston Breakers
Chicago Blitz
Denver Gold
Houston Gamblers
Jacksonville Bulls
Jersey Generals
LA Express
Memphis Showboats
Michigan Panthers
Oakland Invaders
Oklahoma Outlaws
Orlando Renegades
Pittsburg Maulers
San Antonio Gunslingers
Tampa Bay Bandits
Washington Federals

Notable Players...Kelvin Bryant, Joe Cribbs, Marcus Dupree, Doug Flutie, Bobby Hebert, Craig James, Jim Kelley, Mike Rozier, Ricky Sanders, Herschel Walker etc...

I'd love to see a new league in large metro areas without an NFL team......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 06:42 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Does anyone remember back in the 80's the USFL (United States Football League)

Teams
Arizona Wranglers
Birmingham Stallions
Boston Breakers
Chicago Blitz
Denver Gold
Houston Gamblers
Jacksonville Bulls
Jersey Generals
LA Express
Memphis Showboats
Michigan Panthers
Oakland Invaders
Oklahoma Outlaws
Orlando Renegades
Pittsburg Maulers
San Antonio Gunslingers
Tampa Bay Bandits
Washington Federals

Notable Players...Kelvin Bryant, Joe Cribbs, Marcus Dupree, Doug Flutie, Bobby Hebert, Craig James, Jim Kelley, Mike Rozier, Ricky Sanders, Herschel Walker etc...

You forgot the Philadelphia Stars, coached by Jim Mora.

You also forgot the most dominant defensive lineman to ever play the game-the late, great Reggie White. Also, don't forget Steve Young, who had signed what was at the time a massive contract (don't remember exactly the terms). What a weird league that was. I just couldn't get used to the idea of football in the spring and summer. The talent level, though, when you consider the league was up against such an institution like the NFL, was quite impressive.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 PM

536 posts, read 1,193,793 times
i think steve young even played a year or two in the usfl

Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
You forgot the Philadelphia Stars, coached by Jim Mora.

You also forgot the most dominant defensive lineman to ever play the game-the late, great Reggie White. Also, don't forget Steve Young, who had signed what was at the time a massive contract (don't remember exactly the terms). What a weird league that was. I just couldn't get used to the idea of football in the spring and summer. The talent level, though, when you consider the league was up against such an institution like the NFL, was quite impressive.
Thats right about the Stars with Chuck Fusina as quarterback and kelvin Bryant as the tailback. Thanks for the reminder.......

Old 06-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan74 View Post
i think steve young even played a year or two in the usfl
He did with the LA Express when he signed that 40 million dollar contract when they were only averaging 5,000 fans a game.

Was in Jacksonville in the navy back then and they had 60,000 at their first game against the Washington Federals who had Craig James (pony express with eric dickerson at smu). The score was 55 to 14 as Lax was rockin that nite. Jacksonville had Brian Sipe (cleveland browns) as quarterback and Dan Ross (cinncinatti bengals all nfl) at TE and Kieth Millard (minnesota vikings ) at DL. Too bad it failed......

Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,156,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
You just might get your wish....

ESPN - Cuban hopes to create league to rival NFL

Old 06-07-2007, 03:06 PM

536 posts, read 1,193,793 times
it will probably be like the xfl and last 1 year

Old 06-07-2007, 03:30 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
I remember it well. Doug Williams played for the Oklahoma Outlaws in Tulsa; a few years later he won the Super bowl with the Washington Redskins. I believe he was the first African American QB to do so. The USFL is the best football product that was ever put together outside of the NFL, in my opinion (excluding the old AFL). I can't get into the XFL and Arena football, although many people do.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
You just might get your wish....

ESPN - Cuban hopes to create league to rival NFL
Right on 940....thanks for that article.......

Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I remember it well. Doug Williams played for the Oklahoma Outlaws in Tulsa; a few years later he won the Super bowl with the Washington Redskins. I believe he was the first African American QB to do so.
Forgot about Doug Williams at Oklahoma Outlaws.....The early 80's were a way back....Also Anthony Carter WR at Michigan Panthers...

How about the coaches??? Lyndie Infante was Jacksonville's Bulls coach (Green Bay packers). Steve Spurrior was Tampa Bay Bandits coach and Jim Mora was Oakland Invaders i believe?. The others???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football