Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:08 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,731,740 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the links, ocnjgirl. I've ordered this and one of the other books through the KSU library/OhioLink. There is something I gotta say, however, just cuz it's been bugging me. I want to see an end to slavery of all sorts, and, more generally, I want to see an end to the oppressive/abusive attitudes that lead to so much suffering. I am not, however, anti-prostitution. Very often, anti-slavery and anti-prostitution are seen as the same goal, but in my mind there is a big difference. In fact, my perspective on this is probably different than most people might assume, given my desire to stop trafficking, etc. I am a big advocate for sex-worker rights. A lot (probably even a majority) of the women who end up being slaves in prostitution did not get kidnapped and forced, or tricked, into being prostitutes. A lot of them consciously chose to try to make money from sex, then ended up - through force and manipulation - being "debt slaves" etc. I am annoyed that so many people draw a line here - as if a woman's choice to be a sex worker somehow makes her "deserve what she gets." I don't think that women who chose to do sex work deserve to be mistreated any more than those who don't.

This brings us back to the mind of the trafficker. I would not be surprised if some traffickers justify their actions based on a perception of themselves as "only abusing women who deserve it" - i.e., women who have chosen to do sex work. This particular category of trafficker could be just as revolted by those who kidnap/manipulate "innocent" girls as we are. Their brutality might even be self-perceived as carrying out a sort of cosmic justice. Anyone who would sell sex is less than human, and thus "I am fully justified in treating them however I want."

From my perspective, however, there is no significant moral distinction between the trafficker who pulls girls unwillingly into the business, and the trafficker who enslaves women who have chosen to be sex workers. As I see it, the sex worker deserves just as much compassion and respect as the woman who would never do such a thing voluntarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:41 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Thanks for the links, ocnjgirl. I've ordered this and one of the other books through the KSU library/OhioLink. There is something I gotta say, however, just cuz it's been bugging me. I want to see an end to slavery of all sorts, and, more generally, I want to see an end to the oppressive/abusive attitudes that lead to so much suffering. I am not, however, anti-prostitution. Very often, anti-slavery and anti-prostitution are seen as the same goal, but in my mind there is a big difference. In fact, my perspective on this is probably different than most people might assume, given my desire to stop trafficking, etc. I am a big advocate for sex-worker rights. A lot (probably even a majority) of the women who end up being slaves in prostitution did not get kidnapped and forced, or tricked, into being prostitutes. A lot of them consciously chose to try to make money from sex, then ended up - through force and manipulation - being "debt slaves" etc. I am annoyed that so many people draw a line here - as if a woman's choice to be a sex worker somehow makes her "deserve what she gets." I don't think that women who chose to do sex work deserve to be mistreated any more than those who don't.

This brings us back to the mind of the trafficker. I would not be surprised if some traffickers justify their actions based on a perception of themselves as "only abusing women who deserve it" - i.e., women who have chosen to do sex work. This particular category of trafficker could be just as revolted by those who kidnap/manipulate "innocent" girls as we are. Their brutality might even be self-perceived as carrying out a sort of cosmic justice. Anyone who would sell sex is less than human, and thus "I am fully justified in treating them however I want."

From my perspective, however, there is no significant moral distinction between the trafficker who pulls girls unwillingly into the business, and the trafficker who enslaves women who have chosen to be sex workers. As I see it, the sex worker deserves just as much compassion and respect as the woman who would never do such a thing voluntarily.
I still believe that money is the primary motivating factor, not any particular belief about women. In all forms of slavery, there is a view of seeing the victims as little more than cattle. I just don't think it's any different in sex trafficking than in forced labor or any other type of slavery/human trafficking.

Old 02-18-2024, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 217 times
Default They are killers

I read your post and wanted to respond because you do know a considerable amount about trafficking. Human trafficking incorporates all manner of trafficking and identity theft is becoming a hot item. These people are dangerous. They are antisocial and yes, they are psychopaths and sociopaths, depending on who they aggress upon, and to what level. Make no mistake taking someone’s identity, holding them hostage, making them a slave does not bother them in the least; they do not have a conscience; they do not love their victims or anyone else but themselves, so there are strong, narcissistic tendencies. Then they will go to any length—it’s a way to make a quick buck, they enjoy the power and the control—they are sick. Many have often been trafficked themselves; the proportion of women being abused is 87% and is up globally 40% overall since Covid. When people lose their jobs or homes, they get desperate and will often be driven to do anything to survive. It is a very interesting area of study. it happens in front of our face. It’s hard to believe anyone could be so cruel and that is how they take advantage. Often there are contracts on these victims sometimes and they are diverted to be used as money mules, traffickers, domestic servants for families, etc.

I have recently heard that they will implant someone to drive the Romeo factor forward and will combine with CEO tactics of going into business as well as brutal rapes of targets. I am a doctoral educational research psychologist, and this has been an area of interest for me the past few years. They almost always know their victim and they will spend years grooming and positioning themselves to engage in manipulative deceptive, coercive control. They are dangerous and they can be your own spouse. Often, couples are engaging in the business of the life. They are targeting older people now who also have pensions if they look good, they can get seven years to 10 out of them if they’re healthy. Many traffickers are women to avoid their abuse by dispensing it. Terrible. no matter how much money is being spent. It’s not getting the direct services to these people to even make a dent in it because the understanding is completely lacking. Usually, they know the victim. They are trained to do this many are x-military, often programmers working for legitimate companies. The tech businesses are involved in this. it is also a good way to launder money, and they have been using ecstasy to make the sexual contacts palatable as well as other drugs. Everyone needs education in this right now. The basic understanding is low.

Great post. But they are sociopaths everyone of them feeling or not; you can’t trust them not at any point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology