Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 07:54 PM

18 posts, read 61,476 times

Advertisements

When I drive, not only do I have to watch what I'm doing to not make a mistake but I have to watch OTHER people and anticipate what other people are doing because they are unconscious or blatantly irresponsible on the road either talking on the phone, texting, half asleep whatever. It is so draining sometimes especially when I had a long day at work that I have to not go in the other lane because I see someone on their phone and they are going to go in the same lane so I anticipate it to avoid an accident.

Another example. Today I ordered takeout. I made sure I spoke loud and clearly on the phone. The person got my name wrong, I corrected the name. The person got the order wrong when I clearly stated steak dinner they said ribs. I said I wanted a certain dressing, they got that wrong. I had to have them repeat the order in case they messed up my order. I mean REALLY, PAY ATTENTION! Stop being so repetitive or brain dead that you are on auto pilot! I can understand once in awhile it happens but I'm so sick of it.

I went to the market and ordered from the butcher. I noticed the butcher smiling and flirting with the girl in front of me. So much that when she walked away, he was still in a daze from her trance. He asks can I help you? I knew when he said that, he wasn't going to remember the order the first time. I said yes, let me have T-W-O P-O-U-N-D-S of ground beef. He went to pull the ground beef and looked at me with a stupid look like "how much did you want again?" I KNEW he would asks again! PAY ATTENTION! Why do i have to repeat myself and watch what you're doing because you aren't paying attention?

Anyone else get frustrated by this? >>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 08:39 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull23 View Post
When I drive, not only do I have to watch what I'm doing to not make a mistake but I have to watch OTHER people and anticipate what other people are doing because they are unconscious or blatantly irresponsible on the road either talking on the phone, texting, half asleep whatever. It is so draining sometimes especially when I had a long day at work that I have to not go in the other lane because I see someone on their phone and they are going to go in the same lane so I anticipate it to avoid an accident.

Another example. Today I ordered takeout. I made sure I spoke loud and clearly on the phone. The person got my name wrong, I corrected the name. The person got the order wrong when I clearly stated steak dinner they said ribs. I said I wanted a certain dressing, they got that wrong. I had to have them repeat the order in case they messed up my order. I mean REALLY, PAY ATTENTION! Stop being so repetitive or brain dead that you are on auto pilot! I can understand once in awhile it happens but I'm so sick of it.

I went to the market and ordered from the butcher. I noticed the butcher smiling and flirting with the girl in front of me. So much that when she walked away, he was still in a daze from her trance. He asks can I help you? I knew when he said that, he wasn't going to remember the order the first time. I said yes, let me have T-W-O P-O-U-N-D-S of ground beef. He went to pull the ground beef and looked at me with a stupid look like "how much did you want again?" I KNEW he would asks again! PAY ATTENTION! Why do i have to repeat myself and watch what you're doing because you aren't paying attention?

Anyone else get frustrated by this? >>
Watching other drivers and anticipating their stupidity is part of defensive driving. Everyone has to do it, especially if you want to keep your insurance fees low.

Lady, what you deal with is nothing. I have to lecture my doctors about basic medical facts that have been known for 15 years, and remind them that the remedy they're prescribing me is contraindicated in my case, and why. They ask me questions about things that I already covered in my previous visit and have no time to answer, because I'm there to discuss new developments, and we only have 20 minutes, assuming they honor the full time of my appointment and don't rush off in the middle to see the next patient, because they're double- or triple-booking for the same time slot. There have been times when I've had to explain to lawyers how the law works in the situation I need help with.

Conclusion: nothing works the way it's supposed to, and few people are competent at their job. I don't know why this is. Has it always been this way, and we're only now noticing? When you notice it happening in the higher professions, it gets pretty worrisome.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,314,800 times
I "help" other people so much, that on the rare occasion I encounter someone competent/intelligent, the person is insulted by my "helping" and I get chastised! However from then on, my dealings with that person are a pleasure - I get to relax and let them do the thinking. Refreshing!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,230,646 times
Yes, customer service is a dead art.

I notice it especially when eating out and almost 90% of the time when ordering through a drive through. EVERY single time someone takes our order, we make it a point to speak loudly, clearly, enunciate each word and repeat things when they are getting it wrong. After we pick up our order, we do not move until we go through each item and double check it, so they can fix it before we pull away.

I have noticed that customer service in the food industry is especially lacking since we moved to SC, appalling almost. Not so much in high end establishments.

My husband hates lemon in his water and specifically asks for plain water with no lemon at each restaurant - 60% of the time they bring him water with lemon. He also refuses to go anywhere near a mushroom, and half the time when we order pizza with no mushrooms on half, they deliver it with mushrooms all over; so much so that I had to completely stop ordering shrooms on my half after he went dinnerless several times with his pizza ruined.

Driving is a whole 'nother exercise in self defense

Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,669,005 times
The need for many people to be constantly attached to their electronics I believe is doing something to their brains. Too much time in the virtual world is making them unaware of the real world, their surrounding, relationships.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 02-16-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,316,234 times
No i don't get bothered by the examples you gave, except for the driving and texting.

It's hard to hear people on the phone. You might think you're talking clearly but that doesn't matter on the other end of the line. Call quality is really awful. Also I wouldn't be too hard on the butcher. He just got hit on by a babe, give the guy a break.

I thought this thread was going to be about something else... like when your GF or family or friends makes you figure out all the trips or where to go out to eat all the time. Yes, I am tired of having to "think for them" in that way all the time. Seriously it makes me feel crazy, like... how did you get to this point without knowing how to book air fare or find a restaurant?

Last edited by rzzzz; 02-16-2015 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,226,727 times
Ah, perfection is such a heavy burden to bear.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,230,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Ah, perfection is such a heavy burden to bear.
Not perfection. Meeting bare minimum requirement of service and common decency would be a start, when many adults being paid to do so cannot seem to manage the most mundane of tasks befit of a 12 year old.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:32 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,621,618 times
I think its a case of the lowest denominator, nobody cares about customer satisfaction after all you can take your business elsewhere if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology