Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:16 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

I didn't read all the way through but I just want to mention that open drawers and open cabinet doors are dangerous. If a drawer is at the bottom you can trip over it and get hurt. Many years ago a friend came to see me upset because her friend had hit her head on an open cabinet door and died the next day from a blood clot. I don't care if it is OCD; close them!

Now can we discuss someone who turns on lights but never turns them off. I spend a lot of time turning off lights too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 03:32 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
My sister told me once that my house always looked like someone had just broken in an ransacked it - because of all the open drawers and cabinet doors. Not sure about the psychology but I'm a live in my head type who is always thinking about something else, internal dialog going on....just distracted and don't care about open drawers. Also I like being able to see things. I forget what I have and where it is.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:22 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm sure you're being tongue-in-cheek, but in case you're not...
No, drawers are usually supposed to be closed, unless you open them to put something in or take something out. then they should be closed again. Ditto cabinets. Ditto closets. It's not obsessive-compulsive to close them; it's normal. Sure the normal, average person will leave a drawer or door open once in a while, and I don't get "OCD" about that. But are you claiming that it's normal to leave them all open, all the time, and that it's abnormal to close them?
I think it is odd, too. I once had a boyfriend like that and would spend time at his house. Anytime, I could walk in and find all of his cabinet doors, drawers and all the lights on too, in different rooms. I would want to turn uneccesary lights off, close things. Yes, it feels weird to me too, as if it is all left "up in the air". I've seen those who will go get an item and walk away seemingly focused upon the item retrieved. I know I might grab a stapler out of a little drawer, use and put right back, but if I get something out of my misc. junk drawer, get towels or a glass to use, the cabinet is closed again.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:15 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,076 times
My oldest daughter has never closed a kitchen cupboard in her life...She is famous for leaving a trail of open doors...useless lights on forever...and so on...She acts as if she will never pass this way again so it does not matter...actually it might be dog like...that she marks her territory with signs that she has been there....What bothers me is that the cupboards are low and I have wacked my head on the corner of open cupboard doors...I hate to visit her and walk away with a head injury...she thinks it is funny....I am law and order guy...I like doors closed...drawers closed...lights not in use OFF.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:39 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I didn't read all the way through but I just want to mention that open drawers and open cabinet doors are dangerous. If a drawer is at the bottom you can trip over it and get hurt. Many years ago a friend came to see me upset because her friend had hit her head on an open cabinet door and died the next day from a blood clot. I don't care if it is OCD; close them!

Now can we discuss someone who turns on lights but never turns them off. I spend a lot of time turning off lights too.
I wouldn't classify either my wife or myself as OCD. And to another poster's point, not everyone who wants a drawer closed should be classified that way, either. However, there is such a thing as compulsive behavior, even if it isn't obsessive.

My wife can't stand a drawer or cabinet drawer left open. However, she is happy to leave every light and every appliance in the house running, so while I'm running around turning off all of the lights, she is busy closing drawers and cabinet doors.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Our cabinets are too high and too set back to hit your head.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:15 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Perhaps they dont like or want to bother others with the BANG associated with closing cabinets and drawers

Old 09-08-2016, 07:16 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I wouldn't classify either my wife or myself as OCD. And to another poster's point, not everyone who wants a drawer closed should be classified that way, either. However, there is such a thing as compulsive behavior, even if it isn't obsessive.

My wife can't stand a drawer or cabinet drawer left open. However, she is happy to leave every light and every appliance in the house running, so while I'm running around turning off all of the lights, she is busy closing drawers and cabinet doors.
Lol is that how you 2 get your exercise?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Lol is that how you 2 get your exercise?
LOL! Probably!

And the thing about it is, neither one of us is doing this to be passive aggressive towards the other. Of that, I am sure.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:40 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Have you noticed how some people, as soon as they finish using something put it away? At their work desk, they would be working on 4 projects at the same time, but as soon as they do one piece of a project they have to put all those "files" away ( be it paper or close the electronic) before they open stuff for the next project - and they do this over and over again going back to earlier projects and having to open stuff up again.

Versus - the "pile" person. Who does NOT like to put things away because then they forget about them. They want all the papers they are working with "currently" (maybe for the whole week!) out in the open...on their computer they have 5 documents, 8 spreadsheets, 25 browser tabs open at once?

These people have different ways of organizing and processing data...kinda like people who have to have all drawers shut neat and tidy and others keep things open so they can see what's inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology