Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 04:20 AM

9,421 posts, read 14,373,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That usually has medical explanation ...
... and it is probably genetically hereditary.

My grandmother, for example, had a spastic stomach. I know that's not a medical term, but that's how I describe it.

From the webpage you kindly cited, in my case I would point to nausea as a common symptom of not digesting meat well as it can be a reaction to certain bacteria in meat.

I think it has to do with an unhappy interaction of certain bacteria in meat and one's own gut bacteria, it feels like an acid war going on.

But there is nothing broken, so no need to fix it: my grandmother lived to 95 and I feel as good as I'm going to feel (except when I eat meat, cheese, even eggs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They have a propensity to be radical and extreme in many other facets of their lives and want to lecture and preach to you in my experience. Not all, but many.
Since this thread has been moved to the psychology forum, I agree with this.

People use and abuse ideologies to manipulate other people's thinking and behavior for their own jollies while trying to camouflage it under the guise of "principles" and "values".

Last edited by bale002; 12-31-2020 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 05:11 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,722,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
... and it is probably genetically hereditary.

My grandmother, for example, had a spastic stomach. I know that's not a medical term, but that's how I describe it.

From the webpage you kindly cited, in my case I would point to nausea as a common symptom of not digesting meat well as it can be a reaction to certain bacteria in meat.

I think it has to do with an unhappy interaction of certain bacteria in meat and one's own gut bacteria, it feels like an acid war going on.

But there is nothing broken, so no need to fix it: my grandmother lived to 95 and I feel as good as I'm going to feel (except when I eat meat, cheese, even eggs).

Since this thread has been moved to the psychology forum, I agree with this.

People use and abuse ideologies to manipulate other people's thinking and behavior for their own jollies while trying to camouflage it under the guise of "principles" and "values".
Not all vegans are extreme though. I had a friend in grad school who was allergic to milk and didn’t care for meat. He and some other vegans I have met over the years occasionally ate fatty fish like salmon for the vitamins in it. That friend did not really have a problem with having leather or animal-based products. I had another friend who ended up going vegan because his wife was militant. He has health problems and actually did very well on the changed diet. He is separated now and I am not sure if he is still vegan, but last I heard he planned to at least stick with the vegetarian diet.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:33 AM

9,421 posts, read 14,373,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Not all vegans are extreme though. I had a friend in grad school who was allergic to milk and didn’t care for meat. He and some other vegans I have met over the years occasionally ate fatty fish like salmon for the vitamins in it. That friend did not really have a problem with having leather or animal-based products. I had another friend who ended up going vegan because his wife was militant. He has health problems and actually did very well on the changed diet. He is separated now and I am not sure if he is still vegan, but last I heard he planned to at least stick with the vegetarian diet.
I agree, not all vegans are extreme. Anything is possible: some are vegans for health reasons, some are vegans for ideological reasons, some are vegans for both health and ideological reasons, some vegans whether for health or ideological or for a combination of both health and ideological reasons may make exceptions for practical reasons, say, vitamin B-12, or for certain social occasions, and some may not.

At the same time I still agree with this, that militant ideological vegans (or any other ideology) ...

Quote:
... have a propensity to be radical and extreme in many other facets of their lives and want to lecture and preach to you in my experience ... people use and abuse ideologies to manipulate other people's thinking and behavior for their own jollies while trying to camouflage it under the guise of "principles" and "values" ... not all, but many.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:24 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,421,370 times
Even if a vegan is "extreme", so what? It's their body; they can choose what they eat or don't eat.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:08 AM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They have a propensity to be radical and extreme in many other facets of their lives and want to lecture and preach to you in my experience. Not all, but many.
My daughter is vegan. She does want to lecture you. That's because she's a foreign-language teacher and lecturing is part of teaching. Has nothing to do with what she eats, though.

She's a vegan because she doesn't believe people should kill animals for our benefit if it isn't necessary. That's pretty much the heart of the matter of her.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:26 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,475,760 times
I have an "interest" in the vegan lifestyle only because I have a fondness for animals. I am a lazy person when it comes to the idea of food combining, finding whole proteins, from vegetable sources, etc. So, I tend to lean towards eggs (lots of them) and fish for protein sources.

I have an athletic friend at work who feels the same way. He tries to limit his meat intake because he is fond of his pets and farm animals in general. We always talk about being real vegetarians "some day". But being busy and needing protein for athletic purposes, we put it off.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:40 AM

17,667 posts, read 17,838,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Even if a vegan is "extreme", so what? It's their body; they can choose what they eat or don't eat.
It’s not about their choice to not ingest food from animal sources. It’s their belief they must try to force others to do as they do that is the problem. No, not all vegans are like this. But there are enough vocal and militant vegans that they become a burden upon the rest of the society around them. I know people who don’t eat meat mainly for medical issues. They aren’t the problem. If eating out together we try to find a restaurant that has items on the menu they’re able to eat before deciding to go together. But extremist vegans will sit at the table criticizing everyone else for their personal choices and go on a preaching rant about the animals disturbing their friends and the other people at the restaurant.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:45 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,526,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodil85 View Post
Why do they categorically refuse to eat any animal food ingredients, and by no means make any exception?
Because that's the definition of veganism?

Old 12-31-2020, 10:17 AM

11,411 posts, read 24,513,033 times
Veganism is a form of religion with some folks. The ones who practice it quietly are fine. Those who try to control everyone, ruin dinner parties, and generally interfere by preaching about it are obnoxious.

Personally, I have no problem with the concept and applaud the desire to live a healthy sustainable lifestyle while protecting the planet. I prefer people who are low key and flexible when it comes to my social life.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:04 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,964,954 times
My guiding principle is: Don't pigeonhole me for my dietary choices, and I'll return the favor.

My usual diet is lacto-ovo pescetarian; mostly plant based, with fish a few times a week, and dairy products and eggs. I do it for health reasons, and for ethical reasons: sustainability, and not inflicting misery on animals with advanced nervous systems. For a good portion of the year, I eat a somewhat vegan diet for religious reasons: I'm an Eastern Orthodox Christian, and during Lent, Advent, and several other periods we fast from animals with a backbone (though shellfish and crustaceans are OK). We're also supposed to fast on Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year, but I have a tough time with that one.

I won't spend time with a vegan or vegetarian who's fanatical about their diet and who criticizes or mocks mine. But I won't spend time with a meat eater who criticizes my diet or makes fun of it, either. It's about being gracious and considerate toward others -- what we used to call "manners". I don't like being around people who put their ideology above manners. And if I'm eating with someone who's prepared a meal that includes meat, I'll eat the meal because I care about the person. Though a year ago, I went to dinner at someone's house who was serving a rare beef roast and I had a hard time eating it: I found the texture and the mineral taste of the blood repulsive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology