Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 12:19 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Look, all I know is, you say you've worked in schools. Well so do lunch ladies and janitors, and thus why I asked you what your qualifications are. AND I asked nice.
Quote:
The PARENTS take their kids to doctors. How do you have any idea that these kids aren't getting a professional diagnosis? I'm telling you, no one's getting meds unless they're seeing a doctor...so what are your professional qualifications?
Dude, I've already told you too much, and I'm not going to dilvulge details that are TOO personal to you or any other strangers over the worldwide web. I have already shared my firsthand experience on the matter, but since it goes directly against your altruistic stance that 99% of today's youth really DO suffer from ADD/ADHD, you don't want to hear it. Well, that's your problem, not mine, especially when I know otherwise from firsthand experience working directly with hundreds of children day in and day out (which I doubt YOU do, by the way). So with that being said, I don't do the 20+ posts back and forths with argumentive strangers over the internet, so you have a good one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 12:31 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Dude, I've already told you too much, and I'm not going to dilvulge details that are TOO personal to you or any other strangers over the worldwide web. I have already shared my firsthand experience on the matter, but since it goes directly against your altruistic stance that 99% of today's youth really DO suffer from ADD/ADHD, you don't want to hear it. Well, that's your problem, not mine, especially when I know otherwise from firsthand experience working directly with hundreds of children day in and day out (which I doubt YOU do, by the way). So with that being said, I don't do the 20+ posts back and forths with argumentive strangers over the internet, so you have a good one...
Oh please.

All you've divulged is that you're unqualified, and I can safely disregard anything else you say on the matter, and I'm good with that.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:52 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Autism is not a fad. I knew nothing about it, until my daughter started working with these children. I now understand what these parents go through every day. It is very easy to dismiss something that is not part of your life, and you do not understand.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:22 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
You think there are households getting rich from this?
There are certainly young adults who don't have to work because of this.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There are certainly young adults who don't have to work because of this.

There are adults who CAN'T work because of their disability. Ask Coschristie how rich she's getting off of her son's disability.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
The question is whether or not it's now being overdiagnosed to the point where what used to be shyness or introversion is now "autism." And I don't think anyone claimed anyone was "getting rich" from it. But do all legitimately qualify for it?

Old 12-14-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The question is whether or not it's now being overdiagnosed to the point where what used to be shyness or introversion is now "autism." And I don't think anyone claimed anyone was "getting rich" from it. But do all legitimately qualify for it?

You're the one implying there's profit to be had. Not me.

And I'm thinking doctors know the difference between introversion and autism better than the average person. Well wait...no...I think LOTS of average people understand that they don't know everything and are happy to leave some things to experts and parents who actually live with autism, ADD, etc.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Because I have worked in public schools, and every kid who had no structure or discipline at home and who came to school acting a fool got "disagnosed" or labeled as ADD/ADHD. If you called 30 different parents to discuss how poorly their children behaved, at least 25 of them would be quick to tell you, "Oh, he/she just has ADD/ADHD." How is that even possible on such a large and frequent basis these days?!? Is there something in the water these days that we don't know about, or what? I'm not saying that real cases of ADD/ADHD don't actually exist, but DAMN, try working in many public schools these days, listening to how quickly most of the parents use it to excuse their children's poor behavior and lack of discipline and structure, and tell me YOU don't think it's a fad with a lot of people these days.
My grandson has a parent who works in elementary education. Because of his problems concentrating he was diagnosed with ADD and has taken a small dose of ritalin for a number of years. He is very well parented.

One of my adult children received this diagnosis in adulthood, and took a med for a number of years. I regret not seeking a diagnosis for this kid at a young age.

I think one problem in education is that so much is expected of young kids beginning in kindergarten. Many are not mature enough to be in such a restricted environment. But when kids can’t perform as expected, they end up medicated so they can.

I am aware that some parents do not parent at all. Their kids will suffer for it the rest of their lives.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:26 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Is there something in the water these days that we don't know about, or what?
Trust me; it's not something in the water.

Autism rates have tripled since 2000. ADD/ADHD should actually be included on the Autism Spectrum, somewhere between neurotypical & Asperger's. And Asperger's should have never been removed (IMO).

If autism rates have tripled, it would make sense that ADD/ADHD rates have increased as well. Inflammatory markers from an atypical, developmental immune exposure, are seen in both ADD/ADHD & ASD. So is the Microglia activation that the immune exposure results in.

It's the same thing, it's just that in ASD & particularly severe autism; the developmental damage was more profound.

Our kids are not alright. It's not due to lazy parenting or drug seeking; there's something really wrong going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Don't know if it's a "fad" or not but there is some financial incentive to be diagnosed. You could get SSI or SSDI......
Oh yeah? Some gravy train that's been! $500/month. You know how much I've lost in wages since my son was diagnosed? Over $1 MILLION.

You know how much in uncompensated caregiving services I have provided since then? Almost $4 MILLION.

I'm out $5 million in 15 years due to this "lucrative" diagnosis, lol. Minus that $90,000 from SSI, of course. There's probably many people on this forum that make over that in 1 year. Some financial incentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Interestingly enough, I was on my way to lunch today and there was a story on the radio about a lack of places for people with more severe autism to go in my state. One woman was saying she was struggling to care for her child in the home, but there was literally nowhere he could go.

We had facilities in my old state, but the biggest one ended up closing. It was so hard to work there (my boss told me the workers there often were scarred from injuries from the residents) that they were skipping the background checks to get bodies in the facility to watch the students and adult residents. Unfortunately that ended up in a lot of people being there who should not have been working with this population. I went to one meeting with multiple agencies in that state when I worked for the agency and there were a lot of kids who fell into a black hole where no agency was willing to help them.
Yeah, I know a mom whose son just spent 3 WEEKS in an ER bed because there were no residential beds available. She's a single mom & just couldn't do it anymore. Another mom in my group has a worse story ... Her 25 year old son was found dead in a closet at a "home" late last year, his body covered in bruises.

You're right; residential places are absolutely hiring people who have no business being there. Then, the few good ones they do get, they can't keep, because they barely pay minimum wage.

The scary thing ... Autism prevalence is assessed using rates in 8 year olds. My son's cohort (kids ageing out of supports by age 18) was 8 years old in 2012. The autism rate in 2012 was 1 in 69. Today, (2021), the autism rate is 1 in 44.

What's it going to look like in 10 years, when today's 8 year old's turn 18, if it's this bad now?

Old 12-14-2021, 04:20 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Quote:
You think there are households getting rich from this?
How in the world did you get "rich" from my comment? Did I mention people "getting rich" AT ALL? Every penny counts for some households and if "junior" is diagnosed with Autism it could potentially bring in 800 bucks a month in income. That's a lot of cigarettes, beer, and lottery tickets!

My Mother worked at Social Security for 40 years. She was quite familiar with people seeking "crazy checks" for their offspring.

Last edited by Wartrace; 12-14-2021 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology