Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 02:23 PM

18,070 posts, read 27,526,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I agree. I don't care to be around this either when they are drinking.

"Alcohol,..."
I was at a Speaker meeting one time and a Recovered Alanon was giving her pitch.

She said, "He took a drink and I felt better."

If you can control and enjoy your drinking, hats off to ya.

If you sometimes cannot control the amount once you start or can't stay stopped, unless given a sufficiently strong reason, you might be a hard drinker.

If you cannot control the amount once you start and cannot stay stopped, you might be an alcoholic. Then all bets are off. No culture nor guilt nor shame nor consequence can change your plan.

Men and women drink essentially because they enjoy the effects produced by alcohol.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-26-2023 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 02:34 PM

2,147 posts, read 1,075,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
My parents growing up were very strict on alcohol. They disapproved on drinking saying it turns you into a bumbling, loud imbecile.

When I first had my drink at 19 at a pub with college friends I was surprised to see that while many got more lively, peoples behavior generally didn't deviate too much from their sober personalities. My psychiatrist always told me that people who behaved badly under the influence had thoughts repressed but never acted on them.

I would have to agree with his point. There's no doubt that alcohol impairs judgement and people can do stupid things but I believe the excessive behavior we see of drunk people who get arrested is just something they'd have done eventually.
I believe that people who allow themselves to get "drunk" or inebriated to a point of falling down, slurring words, drooling, peeing on yourself, etc., etc. are usually alcoholics, young kids, or very irresponsible adults. Most things that people do when extremely drunk are not things that they would do or eventually do when sober. Some people say your true colors come out when you're drunk and that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If a normal person drinks way too much and does stupid stuff, usually they are mortified and won't do it again.

Age has a lot to do with drinking and getting drunk as well. We get wiser as we age and it's my opinion that older people are more responsible when drinking, refuse to drink and drive and usually have a few drinks to relax and have fun, but it stops there.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
I believe that people who allow themselves to get "drunk" or inebriated to a point of falling down, slurring words, drooling, peeing on yourself, etc., etc. are usually alcoholics, young kids, or very irresponsible adults. Most things that people do when extremely drunk are not things that they would do or eventually do when sober. Some people say your true colors come out when you're drunk and that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If a normal person drinks way too much and does stupid stuff, usually they are mortified and won't do it again.

Age has a lot to do with drinking and getting drunk as well. We get wiser as we age and it's my opinion that older people are more responsible when drinking, refuse to drink and drive and usually have a few drinks to relax and have fun, but it stops there.

"Allow" is a mighty peculiar word when speaking of alcoholics, as is words such as "willpower" and such.

Putting booze down an alcoholic's gullet and asking them to control stop or moderate would be like me telling you to eat a plate of beans, a green chile burrito from Jorge's Restaurant in Pueblo, then eat a few doses of exlax, and then go drive up the 400 interconnector in north Atl traffic during rush hour.

Now that would be an act of willpower.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:01 AM

15,898 posts, read 6,601,663 times
I've never been angry, hostile, or violent when inebriated. But it does make me more social and less inhibited. If anything I laugh more frequently at low brow humor. I rarely imbibe any more though.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I've never been angry, hostile, or violent when inebriated. But it does make me more social and less inhibited. If anything I laugh more frequently at low brow humor. I rarely imbibe any more though.
I don't know if mental health doesn't get involved with some folks who over-imbibe in substances such as alcohol or not, but it does appear that way sometimes. I think with some, the sense of willfulness and the expression of the ego gets amped up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology