Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 06:24 AM

2,045 posts, read 783,243 times

Advertisements

I enjoy when bad people fail or get hurt.

I like to see the decent people do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 07:42 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
One possible source of the mockery may come from people who have never really felt what it was like to be promoted by others. Another source can come from people who have a position in life that was only obtained by devaluing others.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:59 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
It gives a false sense of "superiority." To see others make foolish choices.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:16 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
I don't think people enjoy watching someone fail.

There are those that continually make bad decisions. It is difficult to understand their thinking.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:29 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post

At face value, the story seemed to actually empathize with the subject of the story, in that the employer's response to the situation was incredibly harsh.
It is a JOB. It is not a social event that you could be late for.
You seem to be judging the Employer without knowing the entire story.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:49 AM

15,822 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Schadenfreude, a "malicious enjoyment derived from observing someone else's misfortune".

Schadenfreude: A psychologist explains why we love to see others fail

It's related to an evolved human need for social status.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:39 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Remembering from my Sunday school lessons, Matthew 7:5:

English Standard Version

"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye." https://www.biblehub.com/matthew/7-5.htm

That really stings and puts it into perspective. But it shows you how long this bad habit has been around - and probably before written history.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:39 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I think that is an overly simplistic view. There is a lot human emotional bias that goes into such decisions. Politics, as they say. There is favoritism in the workplace just as there is negative cliquish behavior. If all outcomes were empirical-based and merit-based, a lot more people would be better off or worse off than the existing paradigm dictates.
Well here's the thing (to me). That particular young woman was asking for sympathy for something that was her own fault. THAT kind of behavior is tiresome. And its not like she went to a friend with her sadness, or her boyfriend, or a parent. No. She put it out there for public consumption.

The internet has mean people.

Old 02-19-2023, 04:13 PM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
It is a JOB. It is not a social event that you could be late for.
You seem to be judging the Employer without knowing the entire story.
I'm not judging anyone.

There were a handful of people on the referenced thread who went as far as to say "at face value, this seems a bit over the top and it's probably for the best". In my opinion, at least they were attempting to be objective.

That perspective is based off the account that this girl started a new job, mistakenly left her phone at home and went back to retrieve it, while attempting to notify the employer that they would be a few minutes late. Allegedly, the young woman was fired for being "two minutes late", per their own admission.

Those are the facts as I know them from the video that was shared. Beyond that, I don't have a strong enough opinion to really care. Personally, I think it's a non-story published to generate outrage between two sides who will gravitate either towards the young woman's story or the employer's story depending on their own personal bias. Would I choose to work for a company that was that strict or overbearing? No, but I'm beyond that point in my career where I shouldn't need to work for or amongst clock watchers.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:02 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
essentially, i do not know.

what i do know is my MIL enjoys it immensely.
she associates with all the gossipers in her town.
she watches ANY TV show with disaster or doom.
she is Worst Case Scenerio all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology