Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 03:30 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times

Advertisements

As long as my tax dollars aren't supplementing the OP's lifestyle, he can do what makes him happy. I don't judge people in this area at this point in my life. When I was younger, I would have thought differently but being in the 9-5 meat grind for 35 years now, I have a better appreciation for work / life balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone. I don't bother to make money. I just make enough money to live a simple life, and I'm happy with that.

Is this normal? Or do I have a medical condition?
Quote:
About retirement, I'm fortunately in a situation where Brazil's social security system will just give me enough to keep my simple life when the time comes. Also, I have no kids and don't intend to have any. So, I have very little motivation to bother to make more money than I currently do.
There is nothing wrong with your lifestyle. If you can sustain yourself with less, that's actually pretty nice. I also do not like the hustle to 'make a lot of money'. Sure, it would allow me to buy whatever I wanted, but for me, I don't believe life is about 'being able to buy things'. I have very few things, on purpose. Plus, when you can't buy whatever you want, it helps you use your imagination and creativity.

For me, I work to survive, and set a little aside every paycheck. I've worked the 70-80 hour work week. I chose to do that. I was an IC, and we could take as many hours as we wanted. So, I did. At the time, I was working from home so that alone made the longer hours much more bearable than if I had to go into some office, but I also realized that I wasn't really 'living'.

Sure, I made a lot of money. Life as far as 'needs' and 'wants' was very comfortable. I won't lie, there is some peace in that, but I was in an area that was surrounded by beauty, and instead of taking advantage of that, I sat in my house, day after day, working long hours to make more money.

I've been on both sides of the money. I've been very poor, and I've been financially comfortable. Again, there is a peace in knowing that you don't have to worry about things like rent or food or car repairs, whatever, but when I've been poor, I actually had more interesting, more fun, and more peaceful experiences.

Should I sit here and work more hours than I need to just to have more money, or should I slow it down and take my dogs out to the National Park and enjoy the time in nature with them?

Money isn't everything.

Living your life is everything.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:06 AM

712 posts, read 757,407 times
Totally normal, some people just don't give a sh1t.

I know people working minimum wage jobs and have no desire to learn a trade that would only take 6 months training and make a lot more money. They are happy with making little money and getting free handouts from the gov't for the rest of their lives.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:36 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
Totally normal, some people just don't give a sh1t.

I know people working minimum wage jobs and have no desire to learn a trade that would only take 6 months training and make a lot more money. They are happy with making little money and getting free handouts from the gov't for the rest of their lives.
He said he makes enough to live on, and you assume he doesn't?

Old 03-23-2024, 08:59 AM

712 posts, read 757,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
He said he makes enough to live on, and you assume he doesn't?

Where did I say he doesn't make enough to live on?

I'm just giving an example of people having no motivation is perfectly normal because as long as they can get by through other means.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:47 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
He said he makes enough to live on
And for all we know, he is living with mom and dad, and they are paying at least some of his expenses. He can afford to be unmotivated if that is the case.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:39 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
Where did I say he doesn't make enough to live on?

I'm just giving an example of people having no motivation is perfectly normal because as long as they can get by through other means.
You stated that he's a freeloader, or at least you strongly implied that. It seems as if you look down on people who aren't go-getters.

In my opinion, someone who comes here and honestly describes themself to get feedback from others doesn't deserve to be ragged on. This is the psychology forum, correct? Not the abuse forum.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:48 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Why would you think you have a medical condition?

Old 03-23-2024, 12:30 PM

10,297 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
I agree I'm somewhat lazy, but not that lazy. I mean, I have studied a lot, and I like to study. It's a pleasure to me. Also, I get up before 7 AM from Monday to Friday to go to work, and I'm OK with that. Of course I could put a lot more of effort in the pursuit of money, but why bother? I don't really need much money to live a happy life (maybe the fact of living in a seaside city in the tropical world helps?)
Sounds like you are living the way you want to. NOT the way others think you should. Good on you.

Although, why you made the thread about it is a bit...self serving.....

Old 03-23-2024, 04:31 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There is nothing wrong with your lifestyle. If you can sustain yourself with less, that's actually pretty nice. I also do not like the hustle to 'make a lot of money'. Sure, it would allow me to buy whatever I wanted, but for me, I don't believe life is about 'being able to buy things'. I have very few things, on purpose. Plus, when you can't buy whatever you want, it helps you use your imagination and creativity.

For me, I work to survive, and set a little aside every paycheck. I've worked the 70-80 hour work week. I chose to do that. I was an IC, and we could take as many hours as we wanted. So, I did. At the time, I was working from home so that alone made the longer hours much more bearable than if I had to go into some office, but I also realized that I wasn't really 'living'.

Sure, I made a lot of money. Life as far as 'needs' and 'wants' was very comfortable. I won't lie, there is some peace in that, but I was in an area that was surrounded by beauty, and instead of taking advantage of that, I sat in my house, day after day, working long hours to make more money.

I've been on both sides of the money. I've been very poor, and I've been financially comfortable. Again, there is a peace in knowing that you don't have to worry about things like rent or food or car repairs, whatever, but when I've been poor, I actually had more interesting, more fun, and more peaceful experiences.

Should I sit here and work more hours than I need to just to have more money, or should I slow it down and take my dogs out to the National Park and enjoy the time in nature with them?

Money isn't everything.

Living your life is everything.
Money isn't everything, no doubt.

I make good money, in the top 10% bracket. I've had more stress filled sleepless nights than I can recall. I took another role adjacent to my last that still pays well with about 30% less stress.

The OP resonated with me on a few levels. I grew basically poor white trash, lol. Not trash, per se, but broke. I wanted to get away from that. I went much further than my parents, and they were proud of me.

I've lived below our means for many many years and as a result have a decent retirement nut.

The humble brag aside, I wonder if I wasted too much time being stressed, fretting about deadlines and all of the other BS that doesn't mean jack at the end of the day.

I vacillate between thinking about my broke ass worrying about money friend I knew since childhood and thinking about what the OP is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology