Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 06:15 PM

998 posts, read 540,716 times

Advertisements

I don't think there's anything wrong w/ you. It's just something you do sometimes. Being aware of it is half the solution.

I would suggest that when it gets to the next "something" you wish to attend, buy the tickets. Fill the car up w/ gas or buy a non refundable plane/train/bus ticket. Make a hotel reservation. In short, make damn sure that you feel the pain if you just don't go simply because you just don't go. If there's no tangible loss one way or the other, then it's too convenient to do nothing. It helps to make plans w/ someone else if you can too, but I'm almost positive that if you had done those things or something like them, the result may have been different.

What you're describing is something I think all of us have done at one time or another. It's a strategy I've used countless times when it came to moving. It's so easy to keep kicking that can down the road and stay w/ what is known. But the minute a place is given a written notice of moving, then that's that.

At some point our brains have to figure out a way to outsmart our own minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 08:40 AM

21,887 posts, read 12,991,949 times
I think some of you are minimizing it; it's not just missing a few events due to procrastination -- it's making the wrong decision EVERY time I have to make a decision in every area of my life, at every turn. If I take action and do something, it turns out to be the wrong move; if I DON'T do something, it turns out I should have. And I never have clarity about the situation until it's too late, generally IMMEDIATELY after it's too late. In other words, it's more pervasive and ultimately self-destructive than merely dragging my feet. For lack of a better formal diagnosis, I'll just call it "F-Up Syndrome."

Old 04-17-2024, 08:55 AM

7,624 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think some of you are minimizing it; it's not just missing a few events due to procrastination -- it's making the wrong decision EVERY time I have to make a decision in every area of my life, at every turn. If I take action and do something, it turns out to be the wrong move; if I DON'T do something, it turns out I should have. And I never have clarity about the situation until it's too late, generally IMMEDIATELY after it's too late. In other words, it's more pervasive and ultimately self-destructive than merely dragging my feet. For lack of a better formal diagnosis, I'll just call it "F-Up Syndrome."

No, we went through that car thing with you and you didn't F that up. You made the right decision there.

Then, you have not F'd up by buying the wrong condo on a beach yet.

I think you probably made the right decision to stay home with your cat because you could afford to retire instead of going back into the office.

In retrospect there might always be a better decision. But, is it better if it is not what you want to do? I think maybe the problem is the way you are evaluating the outcomes (with hindsight being 20/20).

Old 04-17-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Then, you have not F'd up by buying the wrong condo on a beach yet.
Haha; but I'm working on it!

As for the cat/job situation, in retrospect, I should have just taken the time I needed and let them fire me rather than "quit" (retire); at least I'd have gotten unemployment and it wouldn't have been ME shooting myself in the foot. To be honest, I don't think they would have. But, again, this didn't occur to me until it was too late...

It's almost like I'm unable to think clearly until the "danger" (or stress of the current situation) has passed; I suppose that would be attributable to anxiety?

Either that or I become so laser-focused on whatever "solution" I've arrived at that I cease or fail to entertain alternative actions.

It might just be stupidity after all!

Old 04-17-2024, 09:09 AM

7,624 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Haha; but I'm working on it!

As for the cat/job situation, in retrospect, I should have just taken the time I needed and let them fire me rather than "quit" (retire); at least I'd have gotten unemployment and it wouldn't have been ME shooting myself in the foot. To be honest, I don't think they would have. But, again, this didn't occur to me until it was too late...

It's almost like I'm unable to think clearly until the "danger" (or stress of the current situation) has passed; I suppose that would be attributable to anxiety?

Either that or I become so laser-focused on whatever "solution" I've arrived at that I cease or fail to entertain alternative actions.

It might just be stupidity after all!

I do not think that being fired would have been the way to go. It would limit you if you decide you want to work. I once talked to my counselor about decision making. I told him it takes me forever and a day to make a decision. He said, though, by the time you make the decision you know it's the right decision. I thought about that a lot and realized he was right. I take a long methodical approach to decision making and I rarely regret my decisions (yes, it happens, just not all the time). But, I have made some bad big decisions. The thing you don't think about is all the bad decisions you have avoided.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:32 PM

15,981 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Yes, and it actually turned out to be cloudy there. Still, I would've enjoyed my little getaway... I can and do plan and execute other trips, yet somehow this unrepeatable once-in-a-lifetime trip flew right under my radar. Why? It's just one instance in a larger pattern of shooting myself in the foot which I find unfathomable and also very disturbing.
What else do you do, or miss doing, that disturbs you similarly?

Old 04-17-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What else do you do, or miss doing, that disturbs you similarly?
Almost everything. I toured a million houses/condos, passed up amazing ones, and bought the one I shouldn't have. I also sold the one I should've kept. I feel I've either put my beloved pets down too late, making them suffer unnecessarily or, conversely, too early, robbing them of life. I cut my hair and wished I hadn't; now I'm letting it grow knowing it's not a good look. Then I have regrets about relationships and how they ended or, on the other end of the spectrum, went on way too long. Etc.

I could go on; it's obviously a pattern.

Retelling the latest debacle, my relative asked, "Why do you always make the wrong decision?"

That's the question!

Old 04-17-2024, 03:37 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Maybe stop looking back and only concentrate on now and the future. We can’t do anything about the past. Therapy might be helpful to assist you in determining what decisions you need to make going forward.

Old 04-17-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Maybe stop looking back...
"The unexamined life is not worth living."

Old 04-17-2024, 04:22 PM

96 posts, read 43,994 times
Quote:
Almost everything. I toured a million houses/condos, passed up amazing ones, and bought the one I shouldn't have. I also sold the one I should've kept. I feel I've either put my beloved pets down too late, making them suffer unnecessarily or, conversely, too early, robbing them of life. I cut my hair and wished I hadn't; now I'm letting it grow knowing it's not a good look. Then I have regrets about relationships and how they ended or, on the other end of the spectrum, went on way too long. Etc.

I could go on; it's obviously a pattern.

Retelling the latest debacle, my relative asked, "Why do you always make the wrong decision?"

That's the question!
Easy solution: make a decision and do the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology