Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

28,928 posts, read 30,291,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
How did she move into her house without you noticing?

And someone looking out their window doesn’t constitute an invasion of your privacy. Not even a little bit.
well, maybe thats how you feel, its not me, when she walks past my place and stands there looking at everything and when I walk out with my kids or to my car and she's looking out her window that certainly does constitute an invasion of privacy to me.

I guess it's all in how one feels.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Default Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, maybe thats how you feel, its not me, when she walks past my place and stands there looking at everything and when I walk out with my kids or to my car and she's looking out her window that certainly does constitute an invasion of privacy to me.

I guess it's all in how one feels.
Actually, one’s feelings have nothing to do with it. There are legal principles that determine what constitutes an invasion of privacy, and nothing that you’ve described in this thread reaches that threshold.

Do you ever look out your windows at what’s going on in front of your house, maybe take a walk, and observe the sights in your neighborhood, or do you consider such actions off-limits for you?

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

9,163 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I don’t know why this post stood out to me so much that I remembered a really old thread you started years ago, a dozen actually. It was a hot button topic for me when I was younger, but as the years have gone by, I’ve found there’s very little we can claim as original.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-...ople-copy.html

Seems that the OP is the one with the problem and it's long standing.

Who cares if a neighbor buys the same bird feeder I have in my yard?

I guess the OP can never make new friends unless the OP initiates "first contact".

Last edited by Lillie767; Yesterday at 12:46 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
I know what you mean, there are just some very stunning decorating ideas...I would love to see it, but would certainly not want one like it, its just something I wouldn't do. I guess there is no right or wrong, in this case, it's just all about who we are as people, what we like and don't like....,

I've googled this and there are a lot of people who are offended by this...about 60% and it doesn't bother others, I guess it's all about how much it happens, or how often...I saw one woman said the neighbor women would even dress like her, wear the same shorts and T-s, and would parade around to show her that she was copying her? She sounds a bit unhinged.

anyway, thanks so much tamajane, for your input....
I don't know why people would copy like that and show off that they are copying. I would guess it is a psychological issue with identity or maybe jealousy or even obsession. There is a difference between inspiration and straight up copying but some people maybe don't see that or don't care.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Actually, one’s feelings have nothing to do with it. There are legal principles that determine what constitutes an invasion of privacy, and nothing that you’ve described in this thread reaches that threshold.

Do you ever look out your windows at what’s going on in front of your house, maybe take a walk, and observe the sights in your neighborhood, or do you consider such actions off-limits for you?
It constitutes an invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned....I'm not talking about anything legal, sheeesh

again, other neighbors have seen her do it, she is known as the busy body in the neighborhood....I just happen to live across from her...

Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't know why people would copy like that and show off that they are copying. I would guess it is a psychological issue with identity or maybe jealousy or even obsession. There is a difference between inspiration and straight up copying but some people maybe don't see that or don't care.
yeah, its really weird, quite frankly I wouldn't have the nerve, but this one, it doesn't phase her...personally I believe there is something wrong, this isn't normal behavior....it's like when I go out for a walk, and this might be coincidental, but a lot of times, she is out there walking, as well, always in my direction...and I go all different times....today, I went out in my car, trash bag in hand, taking my good ol' time, plugged in my phone, turned on the air conditional....just sitting there in my car, punching directions into my phone, in no hurry, it was a beautiful day....and drove slowly over to the dumpster....got out of the car, dumped my bag, and when I looked up to put my car in gear, there she was???? What???? I don't know, I just don't know....????

When my kids and I were walking out to the car she is standing right there looking out the window on her door...we were taking our time, talking and then saying our good byes, hugging and she just stood there, watching, even when I turned around to go back in...LOL, I'm telling you, it's creepy and it happens a lot. LOL

Quote:
I don't know why people would copy like that and show off that they are copying. I would guess it is a psychological issue with identity or maybe jealousy or even obsession.
I don't know either; I suppose it's a bit of all 3? Who knows....? It seems like no one bothers with her...and I do feel bad for her at times, she may just be lonely, she moved here from out of state, but you just don't do those things. When neighbors talk to me about it, I just don't feed into it, and change the subject....

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
I'd be flattered if some folks admired my taste and bought the same thing(s) I had.

After all, stores don't offer just one single version of an item--people are free to go buy one of their own.

If you want to maintain your uniqueness, you can always have something custom-made-- just for you!

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
When neighbors talk to me about it, I just don't feed into it, and change the subject....
So, um... Why are we so blessed to hear every little intimate detail here?

Last edited by saibot; Yesterday at 02:30 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

709 posts, read 578,724 times
Get a used toilet or a spare tire, fill it with flowers and put it on your porch. Get a neighbor to rave about your eclectic style. See what happens!

All kidding aside, I'd be flattered she likes how you decorate, and I'd let her know that.

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,000,626 times
Quote:
It constitutes an invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned....I'm not talking about anything legal, sheeesh

again, other neighbors have seen her do it, she is known as the busy body in the neighborhood....I just happen to live across from her...
It's interesting that you and the other neighbors chit chat about this, that could be construed as being a busybody too.

Bother is something we choose to feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology