Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any “good” local hosts on their radio stations in town? Here we had a few that talked about the traffic, weather and then simply played another song.

In the past (I mean old days) the hosts really did a good job of being a DJ host and had plenty of interesting informative talk between records. Unfortunately those days are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
We have several local AM radio hosts in Fairbanks, Alaska. The same can be said for Anchorage. But at the two largest AM radio stations we have in Fairbanks, we also have several national radio talk hosts as follows:

Local shows first:

-Talk about the road conditions, air quality, cooking, local news (on the half hour), reloading/hunting/firearms, local activities taking place, local sports, sled-dog races, shows about things for sale, and so on.

National:

-Rush, Laura Ingraham, Hannity, during the week, and Joe Pags on Saturday (there may be others I don't remember.
-Michio Kaku, Kim Komando plus another computer and technology show, Handel On The Law, Coast To Coast, Lars Larson, Dave Ramsey, Health Talk, and so forth.

-The national news broadcasted by CNN, FOX, and the rest on the hour.

There is a lot more, since we have NPR and several school radio stations. On top of that, we have several DJ hosts on the AM/FM stations as the ones you have mentioned on your post.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 AM

I know about the national hosts, people can hear them everywhere there is a radio station broadcasting. I’m talking about “LOCAL” hosts.

We had a good local host Bob Mohan who passed away a few years ago. He was good with local information and local news issues that listeners needed to know about. The callers were as interesting as the local host and provided good responses to the topics of the day. It was most interesting and provided “value” to the listeners of the area.

There were a couple of other local hosts that also have passed on unfortunately as well. I miss the local hosts. I think the new lineup for LA’s power house stations will be a good improvement for the area and provide interesting topics of the day for the listeners.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Few good local radio hosts in radio these days. Tons of syndication and automation. In the quest to save money radio owners have nearly killed their product.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 PM

^^^

You’re very correct on that. Most of the local hosts here (past & present) are self-employed and host a program only as a connection to their special interest or hobby. There isn’t any money talking on the air for a few hours a day so being into other business avenues pay the bills. Local station owners are lucky to have these local hosts.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
On the weekends (and sometimes on the weekdays) a lot of talk radio stations air blocks of paid programming...basically infomercials.They don't care if these shows are interesting or not, it's easy money for the sales department.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
I like Dan Rea in Boston from 8pm to midnight, M-F. Followed by Bradley Jay until 5 am EST...always live, never repeats here in Boston.

Jordan Rich on Fri. and Sat. Nights mid nite until 5 am, 3:30 on the latter night. Morgan White is now Sat. 9 to 11 pm, I think.

We are so lucky in Boston.

People pick up their signal in the Midwest, Mid Atlantic, parts of Canada.

I like Jeff Kuhner on 680 AM, M-F, here in Boston, then Howie Carr, 3-7 pm weekdays.

WGBH, 89.7 fm, has Marjorie and Jim weekdays from noon until 2 pm.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:40 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I like Dan Rea in Boston from 8pm to midnight, M-F. Followed by Bradley Jay until 5 am EST...always live, never repeats here in Boston.

Jordan Rich on Fri. and Sat. Nights mid nite until 5 am, 3:30 on the latter night. Morgan White is now Sat. 9 to 11 pm, I think.

We are so lucky in Boston.

People pick up their signal in the Midwest, Mid Atlantic, parts of Canada.

I like Jeff Kuhner on 680 AM, M-F, here in Boston, then Howie Carr, 3-7 pm weekdays.

WGBH, 89.7 fm, has Marjorie and Jim weekdays from noon until 2 pm.
WBZ has always been my favorite station. Dan Rea is very good but too conservative for me. Bradley Jay is doing a great job. Before he took that spot and was just on once in a while I didn't think he was too good. But since they gave him the midnight to 5 program he's been really great. Maybe they tutored him or something. He is interesting, polite to the callers, smart, well informed, and down to earth. Right now I think he's as good as LeVeille (his predecessor) ever was--and that's saying something!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:20 PM

632 posts, read 853,610 times
The ones I know (including one who is a personal friend) have long since retired.
It's just become near impossible to make a buck in that business anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio