Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 AM

83 posts, read 240,868 times

Advertisements

I'm deciding between two doctors for my thryoid problem that has gotten worse over the last 3 years and has stumped traditional doctors. Just wondered if anyone has gone to either Dr. Beverly Goode or Dr. Maggie Thibodeau and what your experience was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,476 times
Lidia Tomulet at Durham Natural Health helped my friend's ten-year-old daughter overcome severe thyroid malfunction. Her tests are now completely normal. It was not only her thyroid, but she tested positive to Lupus antibodies (also now normal)!!! Like you, the traditional doctors were unable to help her. Dr. Tomulet is board certified and licensed.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 AM

I was just reading on her website that she is not allowed to prescribe medicine in NC since this is not a certified naturopathic state. Did you find that to be true? I would need to see someone who could still prescribe my thyroid meds.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:12 AM

Naturopaths can't prescribe in this state (even though they do take pharmocology in medical school!!) because NC doesn't recognize Naturopathy. Unfortunately, this means that anyone can hang a sign saying they are a naturopathic physician even if they never went to medical school. So, whatever doctor you choose, make sure they are board certified. You can check this through the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians website.

I know that Dr. Tomulet will work with your regular doctor to prescribe whatever meds that you need.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 AM

That's my problem though. I don't have a regular doctor who will prescribe the meds. My labs are so wacky now that all the regular docs I've seen won't even see me anymore because they don't know what to do. So I need to find a doc who isn't traditional but will also prescribe meds.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Well, it sounds like what you are looking for doesn't exist in this state. If traditional docs won't prescribe anything and naturopaths can't it looks like you have two options: 1) Find a naturopath in a different state. Of course that would involve travel. I think Dr. Tomulet is licensed in Vermont so you might be able to see a doctor there. 2) See a naturopath and give them the opportunity to heal you without the meds. Durham Natural Health uses all kinds of different alternatives to drugs including herbal and homeopathic remedies. They actually DO work in leiu of the drugs!

My friend who's daughter had the thyroid problem used an elimination diet and found that her problem was a gluten intolerance. Once they removed the gluten her symptoms (and her blood tests) returned to normal. The whole point in holistic healthcare is that there is a root to the illness. Find the root and you will eliminate the need for medications that mask the symptoms. Obviously, this doesn't work in every case. Sometimes damage is too severe to be completely remediated. But if traditional medicine isn't working for you I would think that naturopathy is worth a shot.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Dr. Beverly Goode is an osteopath and does all the testing holistic and naturopathic doctors do but can prescribe meds. I may go see her then since she's in Raleigh. I just wanted some opinions if anyone had seen her.

Traditional doctors are going more by labs and since mine aren't typical because of some underlying problem, they don't know what to do.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 PM

26 posts, read 61,833 times
I've seen both these providers.

Dr. Goode is very thorough and was able to help me somewhat, but take your checkbook with you - she doesn't file insurance claims. You have to pay up front, file the claim with your insurance company yourself and hope you get reimbursed. My insurance company (BCBSNC) paid very little of the claims and I finally had to quit seeing her because I couldn't afford it anymore. She also prescribes a LOT of over the counter vitamins, and those really added up. At one point I was spending about $300/ month for "absolutely essential" vitamins.

Maggie Thibodeau is not a physician, she's a naturopath. She works closely with Dr. Hamad, who actually writes whatever prescriptions they decide would be best. Maggie is terrific - very caring, thorough, and knowledgable. Maggie was also much more willing to work with my financial restrictions, too - finding the least expensive way of accomplishing something. It used to be that Dr. Hamad's office filed the insurance claims, but I'm not sure if they're still doing that for Maggie, too.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 PM

That's what I'm afraid of with Dr. Goode....all the supplements she prescribes. Aside from the money, I can't swallow that many pills!

I don't have a regular doc to prescribe so I'll have to ask if she still works with that Dr. Hamad.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,936 times
I actually considered Dr. Goode up against Dr. Jennifer Kaumeyer for an alternative health provider. I went through their websites with a fine tooth comb and something about Dr. K's pre-visit screening questions spoke to me more and I thought that she'd be a good fit for me. I can't explain it exactly. I went to Dr. K and was so glad that she was sensitive to financial restrictions. She first and foremost wants you to improve your diet and then use supplements when warranted for your personal situation. Even with her dietary advice, she has info for shopping at Super Walmart and other helpful tips for healthy eating on a budget by prioritization. She even looked up different labs and suppliers to try to get me the cheapest price. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that her office prices were actually comparable or cheaper than other locations I found online.

I've gone to other doctors who are VERY supplement pushy and then they act like they can't help you if you don't buy their hundreds of dollars of supps from their office.

After hearing what was mentioned about Dr. G, I'm so glad I made the right choice because I wouldn't be able to maintain that type of situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary