Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 PM

24 posts, read 38,463 times

Advertisements

We are recent arrivals in the area and are currently renting in the Watts Hillandale area of Durham while we think about where we want to settle permanently. We have 2 small children, so schools are an issues. I hear lots of talk about "good" schools in Chapel Hill and "bad" schools in Durham and all manner of confusion about what's going on in Wake County.

So, I'm curious, when you made a decision about your kids school, what sorts of things did you consider and where did you start your research? Test scores is one obvious factor, but those are such a very flawed measure. Curious what you all think.

In the interest of complete information, my husband works in Morrisville. A great deal of the triangle is convenient for his commute - we could easily settle in most of Durham, Chapel Hill or North Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM

289 posts, read 489,470 times
I would start with greatschools.com. It has test scores, along with a lot of other info about each school, including comparisons with other schools nearby. Then I would also suggest visiting schools to get a first hand idea of what they are like, and ask questions! Different things matter to different people. i made my choice based off the test scores, additional programs like Spanish, and an active vounteer program, which meant that the parents were very involved in the school. I visited the school and liked what i saw. It was clean, the administratiion was friendly and professional, and the kids were all doing what they needed to.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,213 times
You should also look at strongdurhamschools.com . I've heard a lot of great things about some of the schools right around where you are. For us, the size of the school is also a big factor; at the elementary school level we'd rather be under 600 kids. The principal makes a big difference; things start at the top.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 PM

448 posts, read 851,452 times
You could start at NC School Report Cards It has the school report cards for each school. Great schools is also another option as others have said. However, ever since my last principal spent a professional development day, having staff write reviews of the school I worked for, my opinion of greatschools, dropped a bit. It's like apartment rating sites where you can tell that management has written reviews.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,338 times
IMO there are no "great" schools...I am a teacher and I have been in the so called "great" schools(which usually is defined by which trendy area it is in) and there are just as many quality teachers in those schools as there are in other, not so popular schools. It ALL depends on the teacher..not the school.
I think its more so school population and area that people want...and bragging rights "My child goes to %#*& school" .....rather than "my child has anawesome teacher", at a less popular school.
My personal experience with relocating(and teaching) is: Find an AREA that meets your needs(work disance, neighborhood that feel right, price range)..and AFTER you are in the neighborhood talk to parents to see which teacher you may want for your child the next school year(word of mouth is always the best resource IMO). ALL schools have good teachers(EVERY school has dedicated teacher...in my experience, in most schools, its about 85% WONDERFUL teachers and 15% not so dedicated teachers...even in the "BEST" schools)..evenschools in the lease desirable areas have mostly great eachers....just one teacher's opinion here.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 AM

PS --Sorry about the typos..I hit post before proofreading.....

Old 04-01-2012, 01:49 PM

289 posts, read 489,470 times
I agree that much success is due to a having a good teacher. However, i do not know principals that will allow you to request a certain teacher.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:25 PM

You can put in a parent request for a particular teacher at both of the schools I have worked at over the past 10-12 years....first in New Jersey and now in Johnston County.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:14 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,004 times
I agree with a lot being said about it being the teacher and not the school.

Take Granville County Schools --- my kids have gone to them for the past 4 years after leaving Wake and I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I've been with each and every year.

I've found that my children's success in any school system has been the particular teacher, the parent (me) being involved, and my boys wanting to learn.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
I agree that A LOT of your child's success depends on the teacher. Having said that, our old school had a principal for a few years that many people disliked, including the teachers. The way she ruled caused many good teachers to leave. It took several years for the school to recover when a new principal came in. So, I do believe that some school have more "better" teachers than others. That's not to say you can't get stuck with a bad teacher in a good school or vice versa. You absolutely can.

In addition to teachers, some schools specialize in advanced academics - offering more high-level classes with more highly academic peers, some schools have strength with special needs students, Others schools have strength with ESL students.

In addition to scholastics, there are different "vibes" at different schools. Even if they are both equal scholastically, some may be more snobby; others more down-to-earth, others diverse, others with an international feeling, others pressure cooker, or any combination thereof. etc.

Some schools have stronger PTAs - offering a plethora of activities after school and raising a lot of money for the school, which brings in great enrichment opportunities - like chess club, International nights, Dr. Seuss nights, after-school foreign language instruction, Odyssey of the Mind, etc. Other schools have trouble finding PTA volunteers and offer very little enrichment.

School districts may have different rules on class size maximum, so that could be a factor. Some schools/districts may offer specialty programs like language immersion or international baccalaureate.

But, yeah, I agree a teacher can make or break your school year. And I have put in teacher requests at my old school, but I know it's not done everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary