Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,825 times

Advertisements

Hello--as I've posted recently, my family is considering downsizing from our 3100sf house to a smalle 2000-25--sf home in the 220-70 range. I see houses listed and neighborhoods referred to as "starter homes." we are definitely NOT in the starter home phase of our lives. We're willing to update an older home as needed, but don't want to price ourselves out of the nhood. I guess what I'm looking for is more of a move up home that's not a McMansion and is in a nicely establised n'hood with a pretty steady school assignment history.

We are currently looking in an extremely specific geographic area (Green Hope high) and there's not much springing onto the market. We like Park Village and then parts of the MacArthur/Excalibur (that nhood confuses me with all the names). There's also some cute parts of Preston that coul work. But again, no inventory and prices are high. We saw a $285k house in Westpark that would fit our needs perfectly in terms of space and layout and lot, but it looks totally unloved and would need a total do over.

Which brings me to Apex. We see some great options for us there. But...we don't know much about the neigbohoods or schools. Anyone have experience with Apex High? Which neighborhoods are settled and not the more transient starter homes type?? Suggestions? Am I being unreasonable with my expectations? It's hard to tell what surround the homes you see on the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
My oldest son graduated from Apex High in 2007. It was a really great high school with a lot of AP course offerings, a great principal, and teachers who had been there for years; Apex is more "established" than a lot of the other newer high schools around it which was nice.

I don't know how assignments for Wake are working right now as we don't live in the area anymore; but back then roughly the eastern 2/3 of Apex (north of US-1) was still assigned to Apex High School. This included established neighborhoods like Scotts Mill (wide variety of home sizes/prices), Dogwood Ridge, Pearson farms, Waterford Green, etc. All nice neighborhoods. Western areas of Scotts Mill might be a little close to 540 thruway now not sure.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
I DMed you but I am surprised at the lack of inventory coming on the market in the places that would work for you. This is the time (end of Feb/beginning of March) that I have seen houses popping on in the past.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,559,230 times
The construction of West Apex High off of Humie Olive rd. is starting next month with the school scheduled to open for the Fall of 2015. A middle and elementary school will also be built on the site in the near future. This will most likely serve most of kids in the ever expanding west Apex area and maybe some south of rt. 1.

With the high median income in this area, I would think the new west Apex schools will be highly regarded. Olive Chapel elementary (nearby) gets a 10 out of 10 rating from great schools, which I believe makes it the highest rated elementary school in Wake County.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Thanks all. What subdivisions over there might be considered NOT starter homes but in my range? We would love to a smaller house in a nice Nhood. Bella casa (which we liked) is selling on of their smallest models just out of our range now. We like Scott's mill. What other nhoods are established? We thought about a town home but I really don't want to be I such a transient area.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Thanks all. What subdivisions over there might be considered NOT starter homes but in my range? We would love to a smaller house in a nice Nhood. Bella casa (which we liked) is selling on of their smallest models just out of our range now. We like Scott's mill. What other nhoods are established? We thought about a town home but I really don't want to be I such a transient area.
You might be able to get a nice smaller house in Walden Creek. Not sure what HS they are zoned for, I think at one time it was Apex. Beckett's Crossing and Cameron Park are two other subdivisions in that general area near Pearson Farms/Dogwood Ridge etc. Then there's that new development - closer to the Peakway - Olive Chapel Park is it called? Used to be L'Hermitage - taking forever to complete but maybe worth a look?

As far as the HS that is being built over there, I have heard so many rumors about its actual location and who will be going there. I've even heard that my always-zoned-for-Green Hope neighborhood will be sent there.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM

513 posts, read 695,648 times
I recently moved to Apex. I do not have any kids, but I did research the schools a bit and they rank as some of the best if not the best in the area. All the neighborhoods seem to be very safe with low crime. I bought a smaller/less expensive house so I cannot comment on your price range/ sq footage concern though. However, I will say that Apex would be good for you in the sense that they have good schools and safe neighborhoods.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You might be able to get a nice smaller house in Walden Creek. Not sure what HS they are zoned for, I think at one time it was Apex. Beckett's Crossing and Cameron Park are two other subdivisions in that general area near Pearson Farms/Dogwood Ridge etc. Then there's that new development - closer to the Peakway - Olive Chapel Park is it called? Used to be L'Hermitage - taking forever to complete but maybe worth a look?

As far as the HS that is being built over there, I have heard so many rumors about its actual location and who will be going there. I've even heard that my always-zoned-for-Green Hope neighborhood will be sent there.
Uh oh. What Nhood? Can you tell me? We have bee looking At houses that have had stable green hope assignments....

Old 03-10-2013, 05:38 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,559,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Well the location is no rumor, it's been set for quite awhile at 7901 Humie Olive Rd. http://files.www.apexnc.org/docs/pla...stApexHigh.pdf

http://www.wcpss.net/about-us/our-le...14.12small.pdf

As far as who's going there, I can not attest to that, but since we just purchased a house less than a mile up the road from there, I am assuming by the time my 4 y/o son is in middle/high school he will be attending there since he won't even be starting elementary until next year.

It's a great area to purchase a new home. The crime rate in the town of Apex is the lowest in the state (yes, even lower than Cary), the median income is very high for this area, and over 62% of adults over age 25 have at least a Bachelor's degree. West Apex is your classic suburbia meets rural situation and suburbia is winning. I think Apex is going to do the growth the right way and it will only make living there that much better heading towards the future. Also, everyone we met in Apex has been just absolutely super friendly. Everyone seems happy!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Uh oh. What Nhood? Can you tell me? We have bee looking At houses that have had stable green hope assignments....

Not one you'd be interested in just 'cause of price. You have a friend here. Like my encryption? LIke I said - just a rumor - I have a friend here who hears a lot of rumors, most of which make no sense.

I'm actually OK with being re-assigned if it happens (which I doubt) - wouldn't mind a new high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary