Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 3,665 times

Advertisements

So we bought a property on the west side of town between Mt Rushmore Rd & Sheridan Lake Rd.. We have clay for earth and it appears a fair number of deer.... Would like about a 10' x 40' vegetable garden.

I will have a wheel loader there for a few days doing a little grading to give us more level area (we're on the side of a hill). I'm going to fence off about 50 x 125' for our two dogs with 3-1/2 to 4' high 2x4 wire and wood posts. Thinking of digging out the garden area about a foot down and getting a load or two of top soil bought in to plant in.

I have never had a garden in clay, and my experience with clay is zero, I assume it turns into rock when it gets dry! So......

1. Can I go just make the fence around the garden double high or say 6' high?
2. Do I really need to bring in top soil, or am I missing something?

Any help appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 08:28 AM

125 posts, read 184,174 times
I'd make that fence as high as you reasonably can, the deer in West Rapid are plentiful and determined when it comes to eating tress and gardens.

If you can bring in some high quality soil or compost to mix in with the soil it would be a good idea. The soil in West rapid isn't the most conducive to gardening, as you've discovered.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:24 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
The deer wander off the hill behind my house, walk down he ally or cross the front lawn. I'm in center of town. It

Compost would be help out the soil. The city landfill has compost for sale.

Compost | Rapid City South Dakota

Old 05-02-2017, 01:24 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,585 times
The topsoil that you can get for a reasonable price will be local soil which is mostly clay. Consequently you may do better with compost from the city landfill. The landfill is located just south of Rapid on hwy 79. I believe the price ranges from $16 to $32 per ton. They will pro rate the price for a couple of hundred pounds, but it sounds like you will need a couple truck loads. If you can haul it yourself, the guys at the landfill will dump scoops of the compost into your truck or wagon. You may also want to mix some sand in with the compost and clay to help with drainage and compaction. The compost from the landfill is decomposed yard waste. A source for decomposed cow manure is the feedlot that is located a few miles south of Hot Springs on hwy 79. That is a little longer haul but the compost will be richer.

I would do some digging to determine where or how deep your rock is before beginning to amend your soil. The results may have an impact on where you locate your garden and other structures. There are two types of rock in the Black Hills. Diggable rock and blastable rock. It is a very good idea to know what you have and where it is located before sketching out any plans.

uh

Old 05-08-2017, 03:59 AM

4 posts, read 3,665 times
Thanks everyone! I think we're going to not have a garden, decided i don't want it bad enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City