Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,874 times

Advertisements

I will be taking a look at a house belonging to a relative of mine. Shortly afterwards she intends to list it with a broker. I've been in the house but never looked at it as a possible purchaser. I have a feeling that I will be interested.
However, I want her to list it with a broker to get an idea of what the market will bare and the market price. If I am still interested in buying it I would match any offer that is made.
I'm assuming that she would have the right to sell it to me without the broker being involved because I was not solicited by the broker and I saw the house before the broker contract was even signed. What I would like to know is how she would stipulate that right. I think it would be at the time of signing the contract, and it would be specified in the contract that I am excluded.
Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
That is correct; you could be written in as someone for whom the broker would receive no compensation.

But let me make sure I understand this. What you're advocating that your relative do is to sell the house to you, but to first list it with a broker, solely in order to get an idea of what it's worth, and then if an offer comes in you will make the same offer and purchase the house, after the broker has spent their money and done all the work required to make the other offer come in? In other words, hire the broker to do a job with full intent that once the job is done, they won't be paid for it?

Did I understand you correctly? If not, could you clarify?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
How I read the OP is that he/she is going to make an identical offer after someone else makes one on the relative's house. This is also unfair to the potential Buyer(s) and the Buyer's Agent (if they have one).

Yes you can have your relative list the house with a clause that there would be no compensation if you (specify your name) in the listing agreement. Your relative could also sign a non-exclusive listing agreement too.

I have agree with Tex, the Broker would have spent all this time and money listing a house and because of no fault of their own, not be paid and the information and efforts would be used to benefit you guys.

Ask yourself the following question, how would you like to be the Broker and this scenario happen to you?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That is correct; you could be written in as someone for whom the broker would receive no compensation.

But let me make sure I understand this. What you're advocating that your relative do is to sell the house to you, but to first list it with a broker, solely in order to get an idea of what it's worth, and then if an offer comes in you will make the same offer and purchase the house, after the broker has spent their money and done all the work required to make the other offer come in? In other words, hire the broker to do a job with full intent that once the job is done, they won't be paid for it?

Did I understand you correctly? If not, could you clarify?
I do not know if I will want to buy this house. I haven't even taken a close look at it yet. I want to look at other houses also. I just want to be sure that if later I decide I want this house that there will be no broker's fee involved.
After all, that is the purpose of specifically excluding a potential buyer in the broker contract, isn't it?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
I do not know if I will want to buy this house. I haven't even taken a close look at it yet. I want to look at other houses also. I just want to be sure that if later I decide I want this house that there will be no broker's fee involved.
After all, that is the purpose of specifically excluding a potential buyer in the broker contract, isn't it?
Without the part about "if an offer comes in as a result of the broker's efforts and I want the house, I'll swoop in and make the same offer and buy the house and the broker will have done all the work for nothing" part.

As George Chong says, replace "the broker" with "me" (me being lamontnow) in your scenario and think about how you'd view it from that standpoint.

If you still want to do it, after that, tell your relative to make absolutely sure to inform any broker they might wish to list with in this manner exactly what the plan is, so that they can make an informed decision on whether or not to take the listing.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Seems like you are making things difficult. Why not go and look at the house and determine if you want to buy it. Then hire someone to come up with a market value for the house. Then decide if that price works for you. And do all of this before the house gets listed.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 PM

52 posts, read 175,401 times
IT's not uncommon for a listing broker to agree to exclude one or more family members, but often with a time limit; Such as " Emma Smith is recognized as a potential buyer who is related to the owner and who has already discussed the purchase of this home. IF a sale contract is ratified within 30 days of the listing, and settlement occurs within 90 days, then this sale shall prempt the listing agreement." AS a broker, I always want to " flush this out" to save everyone's time, so it's best to move quickly and decide if it's the right place to own. The broker can also lower rates and still do the contracts, inspections and other work involved in a sale. My advice is to be open and try to make the decision as quickly as possible. Good Luck !

Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
We will on occasion take a listing with an exclusion of a potential buyer / family member who's already seen the house. But most importantly, we limit the time frame to no more then 2 weeks. We aren't real crazy about doing all the work then months later that buyer steps in.

The short time frame should motivate any buyer to move forward quickly if they are serious.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Just hire an appraiser if you like the home and then make an offer based on the appraised value.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 PM

143 posts, read 431,327 times
I can't even imagine what you are thinking, lamontnow. What you are asking is,

"I would like to hire lamontnow to answer the phone at my company while still interviewing gals who might be more intelligent, attractive and charming than she is. How do I get out of paying her for working for me until I find someone better?"

Frankly, the fact that you would post this question on a Real Estate Professional message board makes me question your sanity and/or intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals