Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:48 PM

275 posts, read 1,545,039 times

Advertisements

Has anyone personally worked with anyone having a VA loan? We thought we found a good loan officer, but he wasn't certified to do VA loans yet. I know Countrywide will do them but I was wondering if anyone else know anything about them, used them, etc. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,319,539 times
There are definite advantages to getting a VA loan if you're eligible to use one. 1) Zero down (so if you don't have much saved for a down payment, that's a great advantage); 2) Your credit score can be a little lower than with most conventional loans, and the debit to income ratios are a little higher with the VA (meaning it's easier to get approved for the loan; 3) Seller pays almost all the closing costs (so little out-of-pocket to get into a home).

As far as rates and fees, you still need to check around. All lenders have to make a profit. They do this either by charging a higher interest rate or more upfront fees. Usually if you find an extra low rate, then there are more fees involved; and vice versa. This is true with VA loans, too, except that the seller will pay those fees.

If you have some money to put down and cover closing costs, you might actually have a lower monthly payment with a convetional loan. It's best to find a loan officer you really like and have them run the numbers for you to see what's the best loan for you.

One slight disadvantage with using a VA loan: Most sellers are not as willing to negotiate on price if the buyer is going VA, since they'll be paying the closing costs and having to get their home inspected by VA. It also usually takes a little longer to close a VA loan.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
There are definite advantages to getting a VA loan if you're eligible to use one. 1) Zero down (so if you don't have much saved for a down payment, that's a great advantage); 2) Your credit score can be a little lower than with most conventional loans, and the debit to income ratios are a little higher with the VA (meaning it's easier to get approved for the loan; 3) Seller pays almost all the closing costs (so little out-of-pocket to get into a home).

As far as rates and fees, you still need to check around. All lenders have to make a profit. They do this either by charging a higher interest rate or more upfront fees. Usually if you find an extra low rate, then there are more fees involved; and vice versa. This is true with VA loans, too, except that the seller will pay those fees.

If you have some money to put down and cover closing costs, you might actually have a lower monthly payment with a convetional loan. It's best to find a loan officer you really like and have them run the numbers for you to see what's the best loan for you.

One slight disadvantage with using a VA loan: Most sellers are not as willing to negotiate on price if the buyer is going VA, since they'll be paying the closing costs and having to get their home inspected by VA. It also usually takes a little longer to close a VA loan.
Thanks. I was wondering what the pros/cons are of using a VA loan. So probably the most negative thing with getting a VA loan is negotiating?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 AM

510 posts, read 3,200,829 times
Many brokers are set up to do VA and FHA loans both... you'll just want to call around and ask. Like Gretchen said, they are a touch more work and time, but you'll often get a better rate with less down payment if you go that direction. If you do find a broker who is licensed to do those loans, there are a couple benefits. First, they will be much less likely a fly by night brokerage, and should have some educated loan officers. In addition, they can shop all of their other lenders, and see if someone has a better loan for you than the VA.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:40 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,120 times
I do a lot of VA Loans. I am in a military town and many military will use their VA. In a military town, we don't usually have a problem getting a VA loan approved by the seller. Things you must think about.. you won't be able to do homes that are "as is". VA appraisers are trained to make sure the home inspects properly, and may request certain repairs be done prior to closing. That will make an as is sale not work. With a VA loan you have a funding fee instead of PMI that can be wrapped into your loan amount. Not very much, usually 1.5% for the first time you use your VA, well worth it not to pay high PMI.

If you would like more information let me know.

Shelly

Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,393 times
So guys . . . when does the use of a VA mortgage get surprised on the seller? I've never had a buyer use one, but I would imagine that it would be to the buyer's best interests to hide it since the seller is going to pay for things he normally doesn't have to pay for and deal with a bunch of govt headaches.

Have you ever had a seller refuse to pay for fees that are not customary or usual in the market? Or, have you had the seller raise the price on the home to cover the extra costs and time dictated by the VA's policy? I know that last one would be my option, especially if the buyer hid the fact from me during negotiations.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,328 times
Here is a web site that has some very good points. I have had many buyers in the past use VA loans. No surprise to the sellers, either. This fact has always been made known right up front. And the seller can eliminate VA loans as acceptable means of financing when they list their property if they so desire.

//www.vamortgagecenter.com/

Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
So guys . . . when does the use of a VA mortgage get surprised on the seller? I've never had a buyer use one, but I would imagine that it would be to the buyer's best interests to hide it since the seller is going to pay for things he normally doesn't have to pay for and deal with a bunch of govt headaches.

Have you ever had a seller refuse to pay for fees that are not customary or usual in the market? Or, have you had the seller raise the price on the home to cover the extra costs and time dictated by the VA's policy? I know that last one would be my option, especially if the buyer hid the fact from me during negotiations.
It should be referenced on the offer as to what type of financing the buyer is approved for. Then the seller knows up front how to respond to the offer. Our purchase & sale agreement has boxes to check how the buyer is paying for the property. I would imagine most areas have a similar type of form.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:45 PM

Well in response to someone raising the price of the home just because we are using our "earned" VA loan, I would go elsewhere. I understand we all have to live but seeing everything my family and I have endured during our time in the service, it's a benefit that was earned. I'm not insensitive to the fact that the seller will have to pay many of the fees but at the same time, most sellers are about the seller. I have no problem being about the buyer and using my VA loan doing it. At least I'm not deceiving anyone...not implying that anyone on this thread that are sellers would. However, let's not deny the fact that it happens time and time again.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:54 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,319,539 times
In this slow market, I think most sellers are just happy to have a buyer that wants their home. And, with more sellers offering to pay closing costs anyway, I don't think an educated seller would have any issues with taking a VA offer. The only ones that would probably have a problem would be the "as is" seller or someone with an older home that has outdated mechanical systems, etc, as Shelly mentioned earlier.

You always want to disclose the fact that you're going VA upfront. I did have one buyer that wanted to switch from conventional financing to VA 3 days into the contract. That did not go over well with my sellers. First off, he'd lowballed to begin with, and my sellers were already below their bottom dollar figure when they reluctantly accepted his offer, and then he dropped the "I want to switch to VA financing" on them. They were not happy campers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals