Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 AM

729 posts, read 1,507,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenoqueen View Post
Excuse me?? Just because I don't respond to every single post does not mean that I don't read them. I was, quite frankly, very annoyed by the many negative and snarky comments. Some were helpful but many were extremely discouraging. Why would someone say that I probably won't love the profession after being in it? Why would I even answer a comment like that? In fact, many posts on this forum are negative to prospective RE agents, despite their circumstances. Yes, I asked for advice and opinions, but excuse me if i decide not to respond to them. OBVIOUSLY if this were a transaction and money was on the line I would be vigilant in responding, but since that is not the case here, I choose when to comment back, if I comment at all..
Like many have just said, your friends will be supportive. The people on this forum are giving you honest answers.

I have a broker in my office that works full time at a totally different job. She can't be Johnny on the Spot answering and returning calls, but the time she gets home she is too tired to look at her email and she is becoming a liability to herself and the company. Real Estate is a VERY litigious business. I've seen people sued or fined over very simple mistakes or lack of disclosure on something they honestly didn't know about but should have. A Broker like this has no business being in Real Estate. She brings the rest of us down with her. Real Estate is a profession that is full time, whether you want it that way or not. I'm not saying that you can't do it as a SAHM but I watch my daughter struggle with her office job that she can do at home with a 3 year old and I can't imagine how she would manage going out to show home, meeting inspectors or many of the other things that will make you leave the house in the middle of the day.

You have been given honest and real answers here. I'm voicing my opinion as someone who runs an office and oversees several other brokers. I'm not going to sugar coat anything. I have no reason to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 08:33 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,869,535 times
Default An expert

Quote:
I have bought two homes and sold one.
And, now you is an expert.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:07 AM

400 posts, read 794,397 times
I believe in taking risks and setting goals.

Real estate is a business. As you mentioned, you know business. You get out of it what you put into it. Like any other business, there are startup costs involved. That's your main risk here.
When you asked if it was a good job for a SAHM, it sounded like you were asking if it's a job that you can mostly do from home, and yes, it is a very flexible job. I'm sure not all offices are the same, but I know that I can hold my license (for a monthly fee) and work from home whenever I can, which is what I do. I have access to all the paperwork that I need. The only times I step out of the house for work, really, are for office meetings, training sessions, and whenever I meet with clients. So, yes, it is extremely flexible for a SAHM.

Frankly, I'm appalled too at all the negativity. Call it what you want, but I would hardly call it advice, or even constructive. I first wanted to get into real estate years ago, but let people talk me out of it while I was taking the course. I even passed the state exam! But I never went forward, so I lost $400+. Eventually, I realized that I really did want to get into it and I could care less about the negativity. I know it's not stable income, and I know it's a rough startup, but that hasn't ruined my optimism nor my goal-reaching for where I see myself a year from now.

So, if you go into it level-headed, if you can afford the risk, and if you have a great sphere of influence looking to buy/sell anytime soon, then go for it. What's the most that you can lose? I do advise, however, possibly being a referral agent for a while or joining a team. I'm hesitant to join a team because I want to have a team myself one day and I don't want to get stuck in it, but I told myself that if I haven't made a sale within 6 months of my start day, then I would look into it. Fortunately, the future is looking bright. =)

Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 AM

10,971 posts, read 22,006,543 times
Quote:
I assure you all, my feelings were not hurt. I have very thick skin. It is just annoying when people make rude and unkind comments to someone who shows interest in their career. I always hear from people interested in my former career and I am always positive and encouraging to them. I expected the same here.
I'm sorry, I just realized we've all been going about this incorrectly. RE is a great career for part-timers, SAHM, and really anyone who just wants to dabble in it. There probably shouldn't be any full time professional at all to be honest. The brokers like the part timers better because you only get a 50/50 split. So yes, I think the companies will line up to have you and you'll probably sell a few homes along the way. Since everyone loves real estate agents and the companies give you tons of leads and don't throw you to the wolves I'm certain you'll be fine. So you can do a few deals and learn on the job while you decide if you like it or not. The great news is it will only cost you a little money and time but you'll be making the big bucks with those 6% commissions along the way so you'll come out way ahead. But you're gonna do great, I just know you will since you like real estate and you already have great experience selling 1 house and buying 2. I would wish you luck but I can tell you don't even need it.

Oh, happy Easter too!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 PM

29 posts, read 55,290 times
Quote:
Hello,

A little background: I put my career on hold to be a stay-at-home mom. My son turned one last month.

I'm considering becoming a real estate agent. I love, love, love real estate. It's something I've considered getting into for the past five years or so, but just never did because I had a great career.

Is it possible to be a successful RE agent and still be a SAHM? Is it reasonable to expect to be able to do paperwork at home and show properties on evenings and weekends? If clients are only available during the day, is it good practice to work with a partner to take care of those showings?

I'm not looking to get rich in this business (although that would be nice). It's just something that i really enjoy, and I'd like to make a living out of it.

Any thoughts, comments, or experiences appreciated.
I've been a stay at home mom since 2005 (mother of 2 little boys). I have always loved real estate and finally took the plunge and started school in October 2012. It certainly is something you can do as a SAHM as you set your own hours, however my advice to anyone thinking about getting into the business is to make sure you know the up front costs. It is VERY expensive to just become a licensed Real Estate agent, let alone the cost to join the necessary organizations (MAR, NAR, MRIS, ect.) and keep you license active. Then you have the cost of marketing yourself to simply get your name out there, then marketing your listings.

The cost is WELL over $10,000.00 just to get yourself licensed and established. That being said, it's am amazing career (not job, career) and it's very "do-able" as a stay at home mom. I wish you the best of luck and am happy to chat with you about it anytime!

~Dorothy

Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I'm sorry, I just realized we've all been going about this incorrectly. RE is a great career for part-timers, SAHM, and really anyone who just wants to dabble in it. There probably shouldn't be any full time professional at all to be honest. The brokers like the part timers better because you only get a 50/50 split.
I think it really depends on where you work. Here in Maryland, we get the same commission split no matter if we're Full or Part Time. I'm a Full Time Professional Realtor.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:30 PM

729 posts, read 1,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorothyMillerKW View Post
I think it really depends on where you work. Here in Maryland, we get the same commission split no matter if we're Full or Part Time. I'm a Full Time Professional Realtor.
Most companies give you a split based on the amount of production you do. The more money you make, the better your split. So the assumption is that a part-timer would rarely get the best splits, keeping more money in the brokerage pocket

Old 04-21-2014, 07:18 AM

23 posts, read 118,622 times
Thank you to those who responded with encouraging and honest -- not rude -- answers. I will think further about this. If I decide to begin, I'll start my 8-week course in September.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Thank you to those who responded with encouraging and honest -- not rude -- answers. I will think further about this. If I decide to begin, I'll start my 8-week course in September.
You're welcome and good luck! Keep us posted if you decide to go into the business!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,308,366 times
Hi, just thought I'd give you my two cents since I'm a mom. My kids are school age and I'm finding it much more difficult to juggle the business as well as parent as I was used to as a stay at home mom. I work on my business all day while they are gone at school (appointments, classes, marketing ect) and the evening/weekends I'm working with clients. The good part is that there is not this solid 8 hour chunk of my day that I'm gone; its a few hours here and there. If you have somebody you can give a quick call to watch the baby, literally at the drop of a hat, then yes, it could work. I'm new in real estate and new at managing my time between family and working so maybe its just me but I have a hard time doing anything halfway so I'm exhausted giving both worlds 100%. I love it though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals