Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 02:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, I'm in the process of reactivating my Texas license since I've moved back to the MLS I worked in several years ago.

When I was a realtor here before, my (now) ex husband and I owned a small brokerage. Though I only worked in real estate for five years, I was successful - in the top 20 percent of local realtors - and I was particularly good at listing property, though I also enjoy working with buyers. I did NOT rely on my husband or anyone else for my leads, and we had no leads fed to us. I got my listings and buyers by getting out on the street, networking, knocking on doors, referrals - old school, but very effective!

Most of the rest of my career has been in outside sales - much of it commission only. I was successful in that, and I have the self discipline and drive to succeed in commission only sales. I also worked in banking, as a personal banker and then branch manager, for about four years.

My husband and I own our own small business. He is a consultant and I "keep the books." So I understand owning one's business, the expenses, the taxes, etc.

I say all that to give some background. I am trying to decide which system to go with. Both local offices I've interviewed with have some good agents on board, and the owners/brokers seem helpful and professional, but the two systems are very different.

I am looking for feedback from agents who have worked for one or both of these franchises before - pros and cons or simply opinions and observations.

Also, in your opinion, what are the most significant changes over the past 8 years (that's the time frame that I've been out of real estate)?

Any suggestions for me? I'm super excited but I'm open to suggestions and I know I have some catching up to do.

I could be wrong but my gut feel is that in the total scope of things, the brokerage doesn't really make or break a realtor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 03:27 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
If you are a small business owner, why choose one of the big boys?

Can you find a local independent that is more aligned with your needs?

Old 09-29-2015, 03:38 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Meet with several and see what you're getting for the money. I was with ERA, they had great training and gave out relo leads. The downside is they took a large commission split on a normal transaction and a larger one on referrals.

I'm a RE/MAX owner now. I feel like RE/MAX is much better value overall for the return. However, you need to find where you'll fit best and help you in the areas you're weak.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
If you are a small business owner, why choose one of the big boys?

Can you find a local independent that is more aligned with your needs?
Do you know much about either RE/MAX or Coldwell Banker? Have you ever worked for either company?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Meet with several and see what you're getting for the money. I was with ERA, they had great training and gave out relo leads. The downside is they took a large commission split on a normal transaction and a larger one on referrals.

I'm a RE/MAX owner now. I feel like RE/MAX is much better value overall for the return. However, you need to find where you'll fit best and help you in the areas you're weak.
I think I have two weak areas at present.

1. I've been away from the area for 10 years so I don't have the network I used to have. That being said, most of my former business didn't come from my "network." It came from getting out in the street, keeping my ear to the ground, getting a few FSBO listings and then working the business that came from them, and then the referrals started coming in from former clients. But I admit, I'm insecure about the whole network thing. But my sphere of influence is probably bigger than I think it is.

2. I'm not up to speed on the changes that have exploded in this field over the past 8 years. For instance, I used to use a Supra key, not my phone, to open houses. I had a lot of paper files. Taking and posting pictures online was different. Staging is a new, big thing. Contracts have changed. I don't need my hand to be held and I'm a pretty quick study but I do like to be and feel competent and be able to move smoothly through a process. I don't think I need a lot of hand holding but I just feel unsure. I did hear that RE/MAX has a lot of videos online about the process and that sort of thing so I'm going to check them out.

I really like the RE/MAX model - it seems to separate the boys from the men - or the girls from the women. I'm just not sure I'm "grown" yet - I mean, I WAS and I will be again - probably in short order. It's just a bit daunting. But in a way, that's part of the appeal - I like the idea of running my own business the way I want to run it (within the law of course). I like the autonomy of it but it's also a little scary going in!

Old 09-29-2015, 05:23 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
That's why you need to go meet with a few and see what they have to offer. Each office is individually owned and operated. (CB and RE/MAX). Re/max tends to be more flexible.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:24 PM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
I was with Re/max for a bit, talked to the local CB and wasn't impressed. What it came down to me (Sothebys agent now) was if the broker was competing and how the companies feel was to me. Atmosphere is a big thing in this business when it has so many ups and downs, it is good to have a great support system around you.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
That's why you need to go meet with a few and see what they have to offer. Each office is individually owned and operated. (CB and RE/MAX). Re/max tends to be more flexible.
Yep, been doing that. This is not a huge market so I don't have tons of options.

I haven't interviewed with any smaller, locally owned brokerages and I guess I need to do that to get a truly comprehensive idea of my options.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
I was with Re/max for a bit, talked to the local CB and wasn't impressed. What it came down to me (Sothebys agent now) was if the broker was competing and how the companies feel was to me. Atmosphere is a big thing in this business when it has so many ups and downs, it is good to have a great support system around you.
I really do agree with this. Though many agents have come and gone since I was active in this market, there are some really good, ethical agents who have stood the test of time at the RE/MAX office that I interviewed with. There are also some good agents with the CB office. I may give some of them a call and pick their brains.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:56 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Where are you living now? Who is strong there ?

If you are still east of DFW can you work out of Rockwall ? Ebby Halliday has a great office there.

In my area we have a strong ReMax and a weak CB but there are ReMax offices that are also weak.
It really all depends on what's working and the leadership in your local office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals