Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:04 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I think this is just as good if not better a system. I think the electronic lockboxes only make a seller think it's more secure, since anyone breaking in isn't likely to use a key anyhow.
Combo lockboxes are not near as good as Supras. I register mine for the home and get emails as they access the home.
Our MLS prohibits Combo's on occupied properties. I occasionally use one temporarily when contractors need access to the house.

And yes, lockboxes should be gone the day of closing, 1 day after at the latest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 06:51 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,911,833 times
In our area, it is generally done the way Mr. Jaquish describes, unless there is some reason it can't be removed.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:00 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,159 times
Quote:
Just curious because I always go and get mine right away.

More than once I have listed something where someone else has left one from a previous transaction and it has been there for years. The supra expensive kind and you have to pay to replace them if they're lost so I don't know why people do this.

Recently had a sellers agent leave his on a house for four days after closing. My buyers changed the locks and won't leave it outside for him to pick up and they're never home when he tries to go by there, so everyday for a least a week I get a text from him asking where his lock box is. The thing is, if you do that I think you're lucky if someone doesn't just throw it away.

Right after the walk-through, or the morning/evening before a closing. I also pick up our sign and any marketing materials. Depending on whether or not the lock box is secured, the buyer's agent may bring it to closing after their walk-through to save me a trip. If it's an agent I know, I'll give them the shackle code to remove it if it's secured. (I don't often secure it to a doorknob --either it makes it hard to turn the knob, or careless agents let the lockbox bang against the freshly painted door, and it scars it.)

If your buyer's changed the locks on the house (always a good thing to do, in my opinion, you have no idea who has a key to your house!) then why not just put the lock box on the front porch for the agent to pick up? What's the big deal?

Old 10-11-2015, 08:08 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,159 times
Quote:
Don't you have that backwards? It's the sellers agents lockbox and here it is expected that they will come and get it. Only the sellers agent knows the shackle code that can remove it from the doorknob. I've never heard of it being done your way.
Sure it's done that way. It really depends -- most of the time, I don't secure the lockbox -- there's no handy fence, or the doorknob doesn't lend itself to securing the box. It's just tucked out of sight behind a planter or behind a porch column, etc. That's true of most of the homes I show -- no one wants the front door banged up by heavy lockboxes. Depending on the agent, I'll give 'em the shackle code to bring the lockbox in after their final walk-thru -- after all, with 30 lock boxes, the odds are against the same same agent selling another one of my homes and running into the same lock box. :-)

Old 10-11-2015, 09:15 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Right after the walk-through, or the morning/evening before a closing. I also pick up our sign and any marketing materials. Depending on whether or not the lock box is secured, the buyer's agent may bring it to closing after their walk-through to save me a trip. If it's an agent I know, I'll give them the shackle code to remove it if it's secured. (I don't often secure it to a doorknob --either it makes it hard to turn the knob, or careless agents let the lockbox bang against the freshly painted door, and it scars it.)

If your buyer's changed the locks on the house (always a good thing to do, in my opinion, you have no idea who has a key to your house!) then why not just put the lock box on the front porch for the agent to pick up? What's the big deal?
That was my instructions. My buyer said they would do it, then they didn't. Or they said they did and it sat there for a while and they brought it back inside worried about it. They still have it and the house closed over a week ago. When I'm over on that side of town I'll swing by and get it.

I started this thread just so I'd have a thread of my very own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals