Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 06:57 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

So I've all but officially signed on to join a team at local firm that I feel really good about. I've met with the team leader several times and with the other agents on the team (2 PBs and 1 who is four years in; the team lead has almost 30 years experience) twice. I even sat in on the sales meeting for the whole office (~ 60 agents total).

When I first met with the team lead (I actually applied for a position she had posted on Indeed....not an opportunity that came in one of the ubiquitous recruitment mailings) she made it very clear that to join her team; you can't have another job. IE...it needs to be full time. Makes sense; and that's what I preferred anyways. I know there is no way I'd be able to do my current job and be in any way a productive broker.

This was the only person I met with who had that contingency. Most of the BIC's with whom I interviewed at various firms asked if I wanted to work full-time or part-time and almost seemed to imply that many if not most people start off part-time.

Because the team-lead who has offered me the position I plan to take is not the BIC for the office (there actually is no BIC for the office at the moment) she has to get approval from the senior VP of the whole company (11 regional offices with 700+ brokers). I am setting up a time to meet with him so that he can activate my license and he again asked if I was going to be coming on full-time.

This leads me to wonder and ask...is it more common for RE professionals to start out part-time before jumping "all-in"? I had heard from several folks that most firms prefer full-time and push folks to be full-time to work in their firm...and that made sense.

The fact that my career up to this point has been in a completely unrelated field may have something to do with why other BICs I've met with and the Senior VP almost seem perplexed that I plan to jump in full-time right off the bat but I'm still left wondering.....how many people do make that much of a switch RE full-time career in such a quick turnaround?

I'm not really having doubts or second thoughts. I am still very excited and looking forward to this much needed change; I'm just genuinely curious as to what others' experiences have been!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 PM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
You only need three things to get started in real estate:

1. Cell phone.

2. Laptop

3. A spouse/partner/parent with a good job and insurance benefits.

But, seriously, if you have some money in the bank and in your pocket to carry you in a full-time effort, until you generate income, you are a much more likely candidate for success.

The "Part time" thing is smart of the company to avoid.
Part timers often miss important meetings, often don't have enough contact with other agents, mentors, management, etc, and have a higher rate of failure.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You only need three things to get started in real estate:

1. Cell phone.

2. Laptop

3. A spouse/partner/parent with a good job and insurance benefits.

But, seriously, if you have some money in the bank and in your pocket to carry you in a full-time effort, until you generate income, you are a much more likely candidate for success.

The "Part time" thing is smart of the company to avoid.
Part timers often miss important meetings, often don't have enough contact with other agents, mentors, management, etc, and have a higher rate of failure.
1. got it

2. got it

3.......... yikes. Ain't got that!

Minus the insurance part (never been hospitalized since birth; I've probably just jinxed that and will come down with some chronic illness the day I leave my current job) the fact that I have a few months living expenses worth of savings, a retirement account I'll get to roll over into an IRA, and a tenant roommate whose rent covers about 90% of my mortgage makes up for the financial part of my status as a card-carrying member of the lonely-hearts club. (You never know...one of the brokers on the team I'm joining is pretty and I didn't see a ring on her finger )

Old 04-23-2018, 07:27 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,958 times
Ain’t no such thing as halfway crooks.

All sales is part time or no time.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:32 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
1. got it

2. got it

3.......... yikes. Ain't got that!

Minus the insurance part (never been hospitalized since birth; I've probably just jinxed that and will come down with some chronic illness the day I leave my current job) the fact that I have a few months living expenses worth of savings, a retirement account I'll get to roll over into an IRA, and a tenant roommate whose rent covers about 90% of my mortgage makes up for the financial part of my status as a card-carrying member of the lonely-hearts club. (You never know...one of the brokers on the team I'm joining is pretty and I didn't see a ring on her finger )
Good luck! With all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals