Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 03:56 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,722,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I know it's a long thread but we did make an offer assuming there would be room for negotiating. But I knew then (and I said this early on) that as overpriced as this house was, it would sit and sit on the market and they wouldn't be ready to see that the market was much lower for a long time. They did counter but only a tiny bit and at the time, it made more sense to wait both for them to get reasonable and our circumstances. So it's been a year now and we are in a situation that if it were priced right, we could move forward. But now it's off the market. I said it would sit for two years, as many of the listing that were way high by this realtor have done.

The seller can obviously see what homes have been selling for.
The seller obviously can wait for a better offer, never mind what you think it “should” be worth.

You keep calling the property “my house” when it belongs to someone else who does not consider your previous offer high enough. So either raise your new offer or start looking for a different house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 06:52 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,108,960 times
Personally, I would find it hilarious if the homeowners sold their house for pennies on the dollar to a Community Land Trust.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:20 PM

724 posts, read 531,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Yes, I thought of that but do people really buy into that anymore? Most people who are serious buyers can look that up in about two seconds.
Who knows what these people are thinking.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:00 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,471,220 times
Considering that the timing of the house being pulled from the market coincides with the property tax bills in your area being mailed out, do you think it's possible that the sellers want to concentrate on contesting their property tax bill before it's formally listed again?

In California, it doesn't matter what a listed property shows as taxes paid, since taxes will reset with the sale to a new buyer, but isn't that different in Illinois?

Wouldn't it behoove the seller to be able to list the house with the lowest tax bill possible in order to make it more attractive to buyers?

Old 07-05-2019, 06:44 AM

21,957 posts, read 9,545,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Considering that the timing of the house being pulled from the market coincides with the property tax bills in your area being mailed out, do you think it's possible that the sellers want to concentrate on contesting their property tax bill before it's formally listed again?

In California, it doesn't matter what a listed property shows as taxes paid, since taxes will reset with the sale to a new buyer, but isn't that different in Illinois?

Wouldn't it behoove the seller to be able to list the house with the lowest tax bill possible in order to make it more attractive to buyers?
When assessments came out, I looked theirs up to see if it went up a huge amount like some of my neighbors' houses did. They really didn't go up all that much and in looking at the comps, there really wasn't room for an appeal. And in fact, they didn't appeal it because you can see if there is a pending appeal on a property. They haven't appealed it since 2016. Some people around don't seem to realize you can appeal it every year but they obviously would have known you could appeal it this year. Oddly, even though that neighborhood has a range of very old to very new houses of a wide range of sizes, it is pretty fairly assessed. My neighborhood of pretty homogeneous homes.....all over the map. I also found out that they have a bunch of homes, including mine, listed as a golf course home when it is not. Not sure how that happened. My neighbors want to do a neighborhood appeal but I don't really see the point. I can just appeal mine individually every time and so can anyone else.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:01 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,242,122 times
did I see the other day that you moved to your current home in the last 4 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals