Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,471 times

Advertisements

This is a great message board. I'm currently in retail sales and had a great conversation with a friend the other day about working for a builder. My questions are: Do I need a real estate license and if so what kind? Do they offer benefits (health, dental,etc)? Do they offer 401k, pention, or retirement options? Do they offer Salary and if so how much usually and what should I be asking for? (20 years sales experience and 4 years as a jumbo and regular loan officer) I know that these are questions that were answered in the thread above but I really didn't see hard numbers or yes or no's. I'm 34 and just got married and looking for a career that I can make over $100k. I used to he a mortgage broker when times were amazing and I'm afraid to go back to strait commission with no base or benefits. I live in AZ and its a buyers market right now and I want in. I see tons of Canadians moving here and buying homes and lots of people from up north buying. I want a piece of this cash to made and I'm not afraid to get out and prospect and look for clients. I just want to get back to what I was making in 2004. Let me know! Thanks!! Suggestion for company's and feedback please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 05:03 PM

211 posts, read 451,293 times
The need for an RE license is state specific. I know in VA you don't have to be licensed but I am not certain about AZ. Most builders will offer a draw against commission after the first 3 months. Depending on the builder you will most likely be trained how to "close" you will have to memorize ways to overcome objections and be willing to do a lot of role play. I worked with one great national company in corporate and one, that I would not recommend to anyone, in sales.

Most national builders offer benefits including 401k and insurance. Very few new home sales people I have encountered actually make over $100,000 per year. There might be one or two. The more successful ones I have met work for NV or for higher end luxury home builders. I don't see that type of income potential for Lennar, KB or DR Horton onsite people. That is just my experience however.

Eye contact and good presentation are both key to being successful in new home sales. Don't be too slick but be able to think quickly since you have a limited amount of actual face time with the potential home buyer.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:27 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
they make over 100k in FL. at least, when market isnt in the dumps anyway.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:32 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,227 times
Lennar closed just under 800 homes in the MD division last year. I've heard that NVR caps out around 125k in commissions here.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Lennar closed just under 800 homes in the MD division last year. I've heard that NVR caps out around 125k in commissions here.
How is Lennar's brand doing? The everything included advertising they were doing seemed catchy. If they closed 800 homes in MD, that is fantastic. I don't think KB did anything near that. If I ever went back to new home sales I would try to get into NV or Caruso. Every NV onsite I have met seems really happy at that company. Even their Ryan division seems to have happy employees.

Another builder to check out would be Stanley Martin. I love their homes and their sales people seem to stick around.

If you are completely new to new construction sales, KB, Pulte, KHov or RAH would be good places to look. They all provide sales training and then as long as you spend time with your site superintendent and ask a ton of questions, you will learn about what goes into building a home.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:11 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,227 times
Company is doing very well. We overtook pulte for the #2 largest builder in the country behind Horton. We brought in 900 lots in 2014 and projecting 1k in 2015.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Company is doing very well. We overtook pulte for the #2 largest builder in the country behind Horton. We brought in 900 lots in 2014 and projecting 1k in 2015.
That is crazy. So happy to hear about the companies success.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,569 times
I'm looking to become a builders agent . It was explained to me that a builders agent is someone who sells a builders house and makes commission off of it. I heard that you can become one without a license and still make very good money. So how can I become one or what do I need to do to become one?

Old 11-10-2015, 06:46 PM

It depends on what state you are in. Not every state will allow you to be in new home sales and not have a real estate license.
Investigate your state laws first.
Research local builders in your area and check their websites for job openings.
You will need to be familiar with sales because that is the main point of new home sales. Know your closes, know your product.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,463 times
Default Toll Brother's

Has anyone had experience working for Toll Brother's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals