Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 11:41 AM

48 posts, read 31,877 times

Advertisements

I plan to move out to my new house, in another state, before the buyer's final walk thru date and closing date.

Is this OK to do as I assume the final walk-thru shouldn't reveal anything? If the seller's do find things they want corrected what can I do being already in another state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 11:48 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
As a general rule, I always recommended my sellers (when I was a Realtor) not attend the final walk thru. If a potential buyer had an issue, they would contact their own agent and not the owner or your agent. Whether you are out of state or not should be an issue. If you left them home in good condition with no obvious issues, there should not be a problem. If there is an issue, your agent should contact you about it ASAP.

Remember that closings can be conducted remotely.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
As a general rule, I always recommended my sellers (when I was a Realtor) not attend the final walk thru. If a potential buyer had an issue, they would contact their own agent and not the owner or your agent. Whether you are out of state or not should be an issue. If you left them home in good condition with no obvious issues, there should not be a problem. If there is an issue, your agent should contact you about it ASAP.

Remember that closings can be conducted remotely.
Thanks for the reply!

I assume your statement above you meant, "shouldn't be an issue"?

So let's say my agent calls me and there is some issue the seller is bringing up during their final walk-thru. Am I now screwed because I am in another state? OR depending on what they want fixed would crediting them back the cost to fix this issue the only option I have since I'd rather not deal with having someone fix whatever it is from another state.

Please let me know if I have other options.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2021, 01:02 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
So let's say my agent calls me and there is some issue the seller is bringing up during their final walk-thru. Am I now screwed because I am in another state?

To some extent because it's likely to cost you more money long distance than if you were there.
Quote:

OR depending on what they want fixed would crediting them back the cost to fix this issue the only option I have since I'd rather not deal with having someone fix whatever it is from another state.

That will give the buyer the opportunity to hold you up for a lot of money if you have no way of verifying what is going on.

Old 05-16-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
To some extent because it's likely to cost you more money long distance than if you were there.

That will give the buyer the opportunity to hold you up for a lot of money if you have no way of verifying what is going on.
Couldn't my agent take care of this stuff on my behalf, basically be my eyes on site to confirm what is really needed?

Old 05-16-2021, 02:35 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poofybruno View Post
Couldn't my agent take care of this stuff on my behalf, basically be my eyes on site to confirm what is really needed?
Yes. Your agent can handle this for you.

Don't expect or allow a laundry list of issues. The final walk through should only be about verifying the property is still in the condition it was in when they agreed to buy it. That it hasn't flooded or burned down or sustained major damage. Not a chance to ding you for a scratch in the floor they didn't see before.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:55 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Don't expect or allow a laundry list of issues. The final walk through should only be about verifying the property is still in the condition it was in when they agreed to buy it. That it hasn't flooded or burned down or sustained major damage. Not a chance to ding you for a scratch in the floor they didn't see before.
Agreed with you. Well stated comment.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:12 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

This

......and normally final walks only take maybe 15-20 minutes. Just making sure they did not punch holes in the walls or leave the garage full of junk.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:07 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This

......and normally final walks only take maybe 15-20 minutes. Just making sure they did not punch holes in the walls or leave the garage full of junk.
Thirded!

Old 05-17-2021, 09:24 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
At the point of the final walk-through there are many forces pushing the deal forward. The money has been transferred, the mortgage is in place, the inspections have been paid for, and the moving truck has been booked.

Unless you have been hiding something behind the boxes- or unless a storm has damaged the roof- unexpected discoveries are very unlikely. And minor things can be dealt with through your realtor.

By the way- one of the very few ways you can screw things up is by taking anything the buyer might reasonably expect to go with the house. Window coverings, light fixtures, etc. etc. If any possible doubts clear them up now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals