Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 06:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,342,885 times

Advertisements

We are building our new primary residence. We are nearing completion of the construction and have just signed the draw request for the finalization of phase 5 out of 6. One phase left to go! Unlike the other phases, for phase 5 we have received an Affidavit of Completion from the builder which the builder states the bank is requiring in order to release funds for phase 5. Nothing in the affidavit of completion itself specifies that this is for a particular phase, what does appear in the affidavit is a reference to the contract to build that we signed and then states that the improvements in the above contract have been completed and the date of completion is today.

I am reluctant to sign because obviously the house is not complete. There's an entire phase left to be done. Signing this seems to give the builder even more leeway to drag out this already long construction and to sign and notarize something that isn't complete ... well how can I sign under oath that something is done? I spoke with the builder and they said that this affidavit is just for this phase so eh maybe, but the verbiage in the affidavit doesn't reflect that...???

Question does this sound iffy or normal?
To note: the bank that we got the loan from was acquired by another bank which may have different protocols, a call to them is planned for tomorrow.

n/m re reading my contract it explicitly states "do not sign any completion certificate or agreement" until the job is actually completed to satisfaction... so what's going on here?

Last edited by recuerdeme; 06-07-2022 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 06:25 PM

6,074 posts, read 3,794,911 times
Any time that you are being asked to sign legal documents which you don't understand, especially when there is a large amount of money at stake and especially when the documents do not accurately state the facts, then you need a good attorney on your side to advise you. I think this may be one of those situations.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:36 PM

3,610 posts, read 7,944,007 times
You could add a handwritten insertion that says "completion of phase 5." Then initial and sign. Of course your builder might have a cow.

I suppose talking to a lawyer would be better however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals