Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 06:16 PM

22 posts, read 19,638 times

Advertisements

Ok so I purchased my place in May, and agreed to a 60 day rent back, as the sellers were building a home--I was assured by them and their agent that they would most likely be out early, but deff by end of rent back. Now my rent back is up next week and the sellers are saying they ran into way more issues with their house than anticipated and asked to extend. I told them no---first of all my mortgage doesn't allow for that and 2nd--we need to be in our home. He say's well then he's just going to pay the 100/day per the agreement b/c he doesn't want to stay in a hotel in-between homes.

My agent is reaching out to his agent for more details on what's going on and then going to report it all to the broker. They've told me (my agent) that theres more too it than them just paying the 100/day and that if they don't leave they'll get in big trouble --but what does that mean? Do I need to find a real estate attorney? Also what does my agent reporting it to the broker do? I've asked my agent a million questions but they are still trying to get answers from the sellers agent, and I'm trying not to freak out. I'm in VA if that makes any difference at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 06:26 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,512,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmama19 View Post
Ok so I purchased my place in May, and agreed to a 60 day rent back, as the sellers were building a home--I was assured by them and their agent that they would most likely be out early, but deff by end of rent back. Now my rent back is up next week and the sellers are saying they ran into way more issues with their house than anticipated and asked to extend. I told them no---first of all my mortgage doesn't allow for that and 2nd--we need to be in our home. He say's well then he's just going to pay the 100/day per the agreement b/c he doesn't want to stay in a hotel in-between homes.

My agent is reaching out to his agent for more details on what's going on and then going to report it all to the broker. They've told me (my agent) that theres more too it than them just paying the 100/day and that if they don't leave they'll get in big trouble --but what does that mean? Do I need to find a real estate attorney? Also what does my agent reporting it to the broker do? I've asked my agent a million questions but they are still trying to get answers from the sellers agent, and I'm trying not to freak out. I'm in VA if that makes any difference at all.
It depends on what the terms of the rent back are. Here we would file the paperwork with the sheriff for eviction. We also have really steep fees for failing to be out on time. What does your paperwork say? You have some kind of rent back agreement with terms and conditions for that time, right?

Old 07-18-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It depends on what the terms of the rent back are. Here we would file the paperwork with the sheriff for eviction. We also have really steep fees for failing to be out on time. What does your paperwork say? You have some kind of rent back agreement with terms and conditions for that time, right?
Yes they have a 5k deposit, which I would keep if they fail to leave--it also states that they would pay an additional 100/day for every day they fail to leave as well as cover any additional costs of displacement for me--like furniture storage, moving fee's hotel room, oh and my attorney fees if I had to take them to court. etc ----I'm pretty sure the seller is just assuming the 100/day. and it doesn't seem like he paid attention to the rest of the paragraph on all the fees he would incur so I'm hoping his agent explains it more to him which entices him to leave on time ---not to mention, not vacating is a super ****ty thing to do --

Old 07-18-2022, 06:37 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,512,894 times
Quote:
Yes they have a 5k deposit, which I would keep if they fail to leave--it also states that they would pay an additional 100/day for every day they fail to leave as well as cover any additional costs of displacement for me--like furniture storage, moving fee's hotel room etc----I'm pretty sure the seller is just assuming the 100/day. and it doesn't seem like he paid attention to the rest of the paragraph on all the fees he would incur so I'm hoping his agent explains it more to him which entices him to leave on time ---not to mention, not vacating is a super ****ty thing to do --
Well, the seller is paying for a hotel or Airbnb one way or another. Sounds like they need a reminder of the losses they will incur.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Well, the seller is paying for a hotel or Airbnb one way or another. Sounds like they need a reminder of the losses they will incur.
yea I'm really hoping his agent makes him re-read the fine print--but if he still doesn't care I'm not sure what the next steps are--I'd assume a laywer but my agent hasn't brought that up yet--I think they are hoping it doesnt come to that.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:40 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,102,231 times
Quote:
Lol yep! Treat yourself to a NICE hotel while they overstay their welcome

Old 07-18-2022, 07:13 PM

6,355 posts, read 4,947,347 times
Quote:
Ok so I purchased my place in May, and agreed to a 60 day rent back
First mistake.

Quote:
I was assured by them and their agent that they would most likely be out early, but deff by end of rent back.
Second mistake - believing a realtor's assurance.

I'll bet the realtor conned you into this to make the sale rather than wait for another seller who would be out by close of escrow.

Quote:
I told them no---first of all my mortgage doesn't allow for that and 2nd--we need to be in our home. He say's well then he's just going to pay the 100/day per the agreement b/c he doesn't want to stay in a hotel in-between homes.
Is any of that in the rent back written agreement? I doubt it.

Your rent back agreement allows for $100 per day holdover rent? Then there isn't really anything you can do about them holding over.

Quote:

My agent is reaching out to his agent for more details on what's going on and then going to report it all to the broker. They've told me (my agent) that there's more to it than them just paying the 100/day and that if they don't leave they'll get in big trouble --but what does that mean?
Means absolutely nothing. The agents aren't lawyers. They have no power to enforce anything. Besides, they have been paid. They have no skin in the game. They don't care what you got yourself into by signing a rent back agreement.

Quote:
Do I need to find a real estate attorney?
Yes.

At the very least to find out what you got yourself into by signing the rent back agreement. You obviously signed it without understanding the potential consequences.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
First mistake.

Second mistake - believing a realtor's assurance.

I'll bet the realtor conned you into this to make the sale rather than wait for another seller who would be out by close of escrow.

Is any of that in the rent back written agreement? I doubt it.

Your rent back agreement allows for $100 per day holdover rent? Then there isn't really anything you can do about them holding over.

Means absolutely nothing. The agents aren't lawyers. They have no power to enforce anything. Besides, they have been paid. They have no skin in the game. They don't care what you got yourself into by signing a rent back agreement.

Yes.

At the very least to find out what you got yourself into by signing the rent back agreement. You obviously signed it without understanding the potential consequences.
Actually there's alot more to it than the 100/day--thats just 1 of the many many stipulations. The sellers will be out of alot of money per the agreement--they also signed it stating they would vacate by a certain date and might back out on that --so it seems like signing anything means nothing. Also, they (the sellers) would be required to cover any and all legal fees as a result of their failure to leave--so honestly,i'm not sure they read the agreement in full.

Last edited by Sjmama19; 07-18-2022 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2022, 04:42 AM

43,382 posts, read 77,310,025 times
Quote:
Actually there's alot more to it than the 100/day--thats just 1 of the many many stipulations. The sellers will be out of alot of money per the agreement--they also signed it stating they would vacate by a certain date and might back out on that --so it seems like signing anything means nothing. Also, they (the sellers) would be required to cover any and all legal fees as a result of their failure to leave--so honestly,i'm not sure they read the agreement in full.

Advice:
Get thee to an attorney and get a letter outlining the full consequences per your contract.
Get advice on how to evict. Some new construction is running over by months.

Keep your lender out of it. They likely won't check, and you don't want them to be aware that your holdover tenant is not turning the house over to you in a timely manner.
"Don't ask. Don't tell."

Viewed with the 20/20 vision of hindsight:
The $100/day is greatly insufficient. It undermines urgency to vacate. The holdover amount should be somewhat punitive. I wrote one over the winter at $300/day on a $340,000 sale.

Old 07-19-2022, 06:30 AM

17,436 posts, read 22,194,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Advice:
Get thee to an attorney and get a letter outlining the full consequences per your contract.
Get advice on how to evict. Some new construction is running over by months.

Keep your lender out of it. They likely won't check, and you don't want them to be aware that your holdover tenant is not turning the house over to you in a timely manner.
"Don't ask. Don't tell."

Viewed with the 20/20 vision of hindsight:
The $100/day is greatly insufficient. It undermines urgency to vacate. The holdover amount should be somewhat punitive. I wrote one over the winter at $300/day on a $340,000 sale.

All good advice here^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals