Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 03:03 PM

27 posts, read 4,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Zippiee,
Are you also the OP?
These two posts create as much confusion as they settle.
Yes sorry I am blocked out of that one so used this one, shoud've given an FYI

Anyhow I will get a title search FOR SURE first, not trust the Realtor for such a risky item. And we'll check on the septic too.

You all spent alot of time answering my question and this information is very valuable, much more than I expected. Thank you all so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 03:08 PM

27 posts, read 4,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Have you priced drilling a new well? They're not cheap, IME. And getting water trucked in is basically a PIA, same as collecting rainwater (which, btw, may not even be legal in your area and would need to be treated for drinking anyway). I don't think you've given all the issues this potential house buy is presenting your full and impartial consideration.
No we haven't. The neighbor next door said the neighbor on our left side spent 30K on a well 2 yrs ago.
Still hoping to hike the 9 acres to find a spring this weekend, we'll see

Old 05-02-2024, 04:16 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,384,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyHomesteader View Post
Anyhow I will get a title search FOR SURE first, not trust the Realtor for such a risky item.
That is not the responsibility of the realtor, it is done by the title agency. Yes, you do want a clear title. Even if a realtor offered a title search, I would say, "No thanks" and hire a title agency instead. As my broker told me in the past, a realtor needs to focus on the designated functions as a realtor and never offer services that they are not qualified to perform or educated/licensed.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:00 AM

5,247 posts, read 6,176,747 times
As mentioned here in Florida the title search happens after a contract is finalized for purchase and it goes through the process for mortgage or closing. If you do have a gut feeling that something's not right you can always purchase owners title insurance which is not that expensive for the peace of mind.

This would be to protect you if something arises after the sales of the house that the title company might have missed.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:30 AM

1,785 posts, read 1,560,267 times
Most houses have liens, what exactly is the problem?

Old 05-03-2024, 12:38 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,559,548 times
Not all liens on a property can be found in the clerk of court recorded records. Here in FL, we run into utility company liens and sometimes county or city code enforcement liens that are not recorded.

That's why a title search should always be part of the purchasing process for buyers.

FYI, on bank foreclosure and sometimes auction sales of properties here, the buyers are usually responsible for verifying any and all liens against a property before bidding, if they wish to have the information.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:53 PM

7,390 posts, read 4,172,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee View Post
I am in California. We sold off-grid land with a partially built home with this same Realtor about 8 months ago. My husband ended up highly allergic so we couldn't move in. This home has the same environment as our current home so should be ok. After we get this house, he'll sell the home we currently live in. Zillow has our current home estimated as worth $336k. We owe 160K on it

He may have a friend doing the title search free, I didn't ask. I trust him when he says there are no liens on the property. He doesn't exactly need the money. Word would get around in our tiny county where he resided and it would ruin his business there to screw us over for such a small amount of commission. No incentive there. We are assuming nothing is what it seems at that price. Meaning even the electrical is probably messed up. My husband is a Painting Contractor so he's very handy. There's a cushion small to drill a well-OR- have a water truck haul in water after we sell our home. Or. buy a water truck. Since it's Northern California, we could collect rainwater to drink & bathe in if needed. Rainwater is also better for gardening.

Also the great thing about our area is...get it for 75k, and the Property Tax will only be about $100-$125 per month, even after it's repaired. The County doesn't routinely come back to re-assess it. Our main concern is the septic system
I know living in MA & NY, i know any electrical work needs to be inspected before a Certificate of Occupation is done. The work has to be done by a licensed electrician and inspected before the sheetrock goes up.

Yes, rainwater is better for gardening. Drinking water can't be collected in a rain barrel. It's not appropriate for not germ-free water. BTW, it takes an awful lot of water to flush a toilet!

There are a lot of loose ends here.

You get what you pay for! A free title search is not as comprehensive as a paid title search.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:15 AM

8,579 posts, read 12,440,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee/HobbyHomesteader View Post
He may have a friend doing the title search free, I didn't ask.
Make sure that a title company does the search...and get title insurance.

But, liens seem to be the least of your worries about this property.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:40 PM

77 posts, read 19,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I know living in MA & NY, i know any electrical work needs to be inspected before a Certificate of Occupation is done. The work has to be done by a licensed electrician and inspected before the sheetrock goes up.

Yes, rainwater is better for gardening. Drinking water can't be collected in a rain barrel. It's not appropriate for not germ-free water. BTW, it takes an awful lot of water to flush a toilet!

There are a lot of loose ends here.

You get what you pay for! A free title search is not as comprehensive as a paid title search.
We don't need a certificate of occupation or an inspection but thanks. We've already fixed up and sold a home in our life so we don't subscribe to the you get what you pay for. We did quite well on that but thank you

Old 05-04-2024, 07:41 PM

77 posts, read 19,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Make sure that a title company does the search...and get title insurance.

But, liens seem to be the least of your worries about this property.
Yes I posted I would be doing that. Liens, water, and a septic system are all concerns.

There are 2 full baths so most likely there is septic.

A snow storm prevented us from going out there so it probably won't happen until this coming weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals