Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,677 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this question has came up yet, but I am going to throw it out there.
When a person wants to relocate, do you have the same realtor, try to sell your own home, and then find you a new home in a different state????
Is it best to go with two different realtors, one from where you live now, and the other where you want to move at??????
Has anyone ever done this, and would be willing to give advice, we don't want to get ripped off, but would need to sell our home before we could buy the other home. Thanks for any help, Yorkie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 11:18 AM

10,183 posts, read 11,169,862 times
I don't know the answer, but - I just sold my house (in Kansas) and the realtor who sold it for us, is helping us find someone in Ohio, right now we're having no luck with anyone responding to our needs.

Well one lady is sending us listings, but it's not what we're looking for. I emailed her personally to see if she's willing to show us houses and she never answers.......We're on a time frame. I'm heading to Ohio tomorrow

Old 03-20-2007, 11:20 AM

279 posts, read 1,859,827 times
My sister moved to Vegas and then became an agent. When a friend in CA wanted her to sell their house, she had to get another license for CA. If your agent is able to do business state to state it seems like a good idea to me to use the same person.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 AM

11,833 posts, read 34,451,143 times
Real estate is local. Use the best professional in the area you live in and another where you buy.

My best bowling buddy's house is listed with me, but I told her that I do not know the areas where she is moving to very well. So she is better served by using two brokers. And I don't have the liability of knowing what I don't know, but should know.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:38 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,171,289 times
Generally, realtors are licensed in their respective state only. You definitely need one that is up on the local trend.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:08 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,677 times
IF you get the same agency in different states - do they help correspond with your need and wants as far as finding a new home.EXAMPLE RE-MAX in MN. RE-MAX in CO.

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 03-20-2007 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: not complete

Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,325,225 times
Default Agents working together can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
IF you get the same agency in different states - do they help correspond with your need and wants as far as finding a new home.EXAMPLE RE-MAX in MN. RE-MAX in CO.
Sometimes that can be helpful, but it still boils down to how good the other agent is, regardless of what company he works for. I have several agents in different parts of the country that I refer clients to, and even though most of them work for r.e. companies other than the one I'm associated with, we work closely together to help our mutual client with their financing and closing (doing a simultaneous close, if possible). It is nice when you're working with agents that have worked with each other in the past and know how to generally help your relocation go smoothly.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:33 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
Quote:
I don't know if this question has came up yet, but I am going to throw it out there.
When a person wants to relocate, do you have the same realtor, try to sell your own home, and then find you a new home in a different state????
Is it best to go with two different realtors, one from where you live now, and the other where you want to move at??????
Has anyone ever done this, and would be willing to give advice, we don't want to get ripped off, but would need to sell our home before we could buy the other home. Thanks for any help, Yorkie
This happens constantly - Your listing agent isn't going to find you your home in a city hundreds of miles away...
Your listing agent CAN find you an agent to refer you to in your destination. I don't simply fax some paperwork around though - I actually contact a couple of Realtors in the destination city and interview them to make sure they are suitable, return phone calls, are reputable, have time and the expertise to be of some real help and so forth. IF the person whos house I'm selling decides to use the Realtor I suggest in the destination city, I get a " referral fee" gladly paid for by that Realtor for sending business to the Realtor in the destination. And no, it most certainly doesn't have to be somebody in the same company/corporate umbrella. I've learned over the years not to simply pick a name out of a relocation directory and hold my breath. In my experience this works best when the agents communicate - a lot.

Hope that helps,
David

Last edited by chaz longue; 03-20-2007 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-20-2007, 01:39 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,130,642 times
Quote:
hey yorkie mom

do you know anyone in the area I would ask them if they know a Realtor they like,
I have a friend in Atlanta for example he is a good Realtor but is very familiar with one area as much as I like him I wouldn't recommend him to anyone looking in an area lets say 20 miles north of Atlanta
though lol after spending 10 house hunting with me we both got to know the areas better
I would want someone who is focused on the area I want to live

karla

Old 03-23-2007, 08:03 PM

229 posts, read 232,769 times
Yorkie Mom... OK here is the scoop that I am going through. First and foremost, get on the state you are moving to's website where they report the school standings etc. Your daughter is top priority now. Once you have picked a school district or two, go see them and the area they are in. Chances are if the school has good ratings, the homes in the area will be similar to what you are used to. You may think that you would be able to live in an area where the houses are run down or whatever because everyone has lots of land and you won't see it BUT your daughter will be subjected to the offspring of those folks in that trashy house every day all day long. Also.. when she befriends these offspring, do you really want her going to those houses for parties and to play ?? Make a point of going to the schools when they are in session and going for a tour. We went to a school that had a decent neighborhood, great scores, nice elem. and high school BUT ... the middle school was SOOO scary it was like a dungeon, old, dark,low ceilings... it was depressing just being there. Needless to say.. we will not be buying a home in that district. Moral... check out all the school buildings your child will attend. If she is in middle school now (next year right ??) then just middle and high would be your focus. Check out clubs and sports that would be available. I have a child fluent in a second language and it is not offered in a very nice district..ooops.. it is off the list too. It is a tedious project and will take time but you surely do not want to go through the expense of moving and find out later. Once you tackle this hurdle, let me know and I will tell you the next step. Best of Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals