Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 AM

164 posts, read 515,724 times

Advertisements

Potential buyers for my listing have had a first and second showing and then submitted a long list of questions which the seller promptly answered. Three days later, the buyer's agent calls and asks if "I would be willing to keep her in the loop if things start happening on the house." I asked if this request meant that her buyers had changed into a "wait and see" approach, after previously being very excited about the house. Buyers agent said "no, it's just that one of the buyers is out of town for a few days." This could well be the truth, but I would have no way of knowing if it's not.

Under what circumstances, if any, do you agree to keep a buyers' agent in the loop on activity on your listing? Obviously, saying "yes" would allow a potential buyer to lurk in the background and may provide too much info on the amount of competitive activity, or lack thereof, happening on the listing.

I'd appreciate hearing how others handle this situation. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 AM

43,274 posts, read 77,073,002 times
It isn't a "Yes" or "No" question. It is usually a gambit to keep you off-balance while the agent and buyer merrily go along their way. Most often, the agent does not reply if you DO make contact.

I usually ignore the request, unless I think there is something in it for my client.

IMO, if the buyers want the house, they write an offer.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,425,536 times
Sometimes the buyer needs a compelling reason to pull the trigger. Sometimes it's what they need, but not all that they want.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,198 times
...sounds like they are waiting for a price drop.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Only if they say, "We're in the process of writing an offer and it should be in within 24 hours - please let us know if another offer comes in in the meantime" might I consider it.

And then it would depend on what I know of the agent in question and whether or not this is a usual ploy. (Yes, word DOES get around!)

Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
...sounds like they are waiting for a price drop.

That's what in the loop means here too. "We like it, but waiting until you drop the price...unless another offer comes in then we want to bid too."

Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,184 times
i'm guilty of that. i went to see a house and i really do like but i felt it was way over priced. i sounded out the seller's agent regarding an offer i had in mind but she said it wasn't possible at all that the seller WILL NOT even consider that number (even though it sounded to me that the seller's agent also agreed with me that the asking price was unrealistic). so i asked her to "keep me in the loop" if the seller becomes more realistic in the near future and drops the price. i didn't realise i'm not supposed to do something like that....

Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Well, technically, the seller's agent has to have the seller's permission to do that. So you can ask (it's not that you're not supposed to), but they may not wish, or be able, to say yes, for the reasons given.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 PM

164 posts, read 515,724 times
Default In the loop and behind the curtain...

Thanks everyone - you provided great insights to what's going on "behind the curtain" of real estate negotiations. I love this forum.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
i'm guilty of that. i went to see a house and i really do like but i felt it was way over priced. i sounded out the seller's agent regarding an offer i had in mind but she said it wasn't possible at all that the seller WILL NOT even consider that number (even though it sounded to me that the seller's agent also agreed with me that the asking price was unrealistic). so i asked her to "keep me in the loop" if the seller becomes more realistic in the near future and drops the price. i didn't realise i'm not supposed to do something like that....
I think you should get your own agent, write an offer up and get it presented. Let the seller make up their mind, not the agent.

There is no rule that you aren't supposed to ask for a heads up if the seller is dropping the price. It's not against the sellers favor if their agent calls you to alert you first....actually it's a help. It could produce an immediate offer. The sellers agent does not 'need permission' to alert you to a price drop...it's dropped, it's not disclosing any information that isn't public.

To the OP, I believe the agent was requesting you alert her/him if there is another offer coming in so they can impress on the buyers a sense of urgency...do it now or you're out of it kind of thing. Nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals